Q-tip test

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by kay, Dec 15, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. kay

kay New Member

Yesterday, I went to my ENT. While I was there the nurse used a Q-tip to clean my ear. I have been having a great deal of dicharge/wax. I had my usual reaction to a Q-tip in my ear. I coughed because it tickled. I have been this way my entire life. The nurse looked at me and immediately got my doctor. He walked in the room laughing. He has been keeping data on MM for a research project. He has found that 89% of his patients have a tickling sensation when something is placed in the ear. My mother always said that "your just like your daddy; he coughed too when a Q-tip was placed in his ear" And, yes my father had MM. Do any of you have that sensation as well?

2. lizzyD

lizzyD New Member

HI Kay,

My audiologist told me that there is a cough reflex inside the ear and everybody coughs if the right spot is touched with a Q tip. Not limited to Meniere's patients I'm afraid. I had such a problem when the audiologist was trying to do my earmould for my hearing aid!

Liz

3. kay

kay New Member

Let me clarify: My ENT said that the nerve that causes the cough reflex is more sensitive and closer to the opening of the ear canal in MM patients in comparison to people without MM.

4. MedievalWriter

MedievalWriter Ryan's Rose Pvt Ryan Winslow KIA Iraq 4-2006

ME!!

I know that your Eustachian tube connects to your throat. I just figured it was related to that somehow.

I can't stand using a Q-tip in my ears. I absolutely gag. :p

5. Trish

Trish Guest

You shouldn't poke your ear with anything smaller than your elbow!! :D..so they say....

6. nassman

nassman Guest

Time for a new doctor me thinks....

7. burd

burd New Member

I had the tickling sensation when I had my ears flushed out at the doctor's, kept making me cough, it even made my eyes water. They said it was very common.

8. RINGADINGDING

RINGADINGDING New Member

I am surprised that the doctor allowed the nurse to do that to you. My doctor is death on Q tips. When he cleans out my ears he used a special instrument that removes all wax and causes no problems.

I would question your ENT about that. If he says there's nothing wrong with doing that I would seek another opinion....

9. kay

kay New Member

The nurse merely put the Q-tip on the outer edge of my ear. She did not enter the ear canal. My ENT does not allow that either. My point was that the minute the Q-tip enters the opening of my ear canal, I cough. And, I was wondering if any of you do the same.

10. Rusty

Rusty New Member

Not big on Q-Tips, but I don't recall coughing. Mostly an itch.

11. LisaB

LisaB New Member

I've never noticed that and I do use Qtips carefully from time to time. Lisa

12. dizzjo

dizzjo One day at a time & baby steps!

First I am surprised that the nurse - or the Dr. for that matter - even allows anyone to use a Q-tip for cleaning the ear. :eek: :eek: That is usually a "no-no".

The Dr. has much better equipment that will just suck it out or equipment to safely remove wax.

Our son used to cough every time I ever tried to clean his ears. I have never had that problem myself and neither has the rest of the family. I used Q-tips only for the outer area of the ear - not to dig around inside the canal.

13. Bergie

Bergie New Member

I know I'm not suppose to use a Q-tip but I admit, I do!

I'm not a digger but I do get in there. Every time I do this I start coughing but at the same time...it feels so good, if that makes sense!

14. So Cal Cyclist

So Cal Cyclist View Askew

Q-Tip use: Yes
    Coughing or tearing up: No

15. PDA

PDA New Member

Please take this for your daily smile! No unkindness intended. :)

Hi! My name is PDA and y ... ye ... yes I admit ... I am a ........ :-[ Q-tip user.
    I've tried to quit but I just can't. I've tried the QTP and QTG (Q-tip Patch and gum) but nothing has worked for me. I have IES (Itchy Ear Syndrome - yes this term is made up) which causes incredibly itchy ears. Some time back several of us on this forum admitted that we suffer from "itchy ears" and yes some, carefully and cautiously, use Q-tips. I think for sure that there is a connection between IES and MM! My ENT always comments that I never have wax - and I just smile (on the inside - but I'll never tell!) I feel much better now having confessed and have admitted, again, that I am a Q-tip user - and I will (not) try to stop. Sorry! My best to all of you! PDA

16. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

i poked a Q tip in my ear and it came out the other side ;) lol

17. RINGADINGDING

RINGADINGDING New Member

Oh you're killing me here! Hilarious. And thanks for clearing up matters Kay. Yes, if I put the Q Tip in my ear I do cough. I've never had it by just putting at the edge. And no--I don't use Q tips inside my ear anymore. I see my ENT way too much to do that. He'll know!!!

LOL

18. tucker

tucker The Meniere's DVD Guy!

Is that why the doctor says "Turn your head and cough?" Always wondered!

19. burd

burd New Member

I am a Qtip user too, have been forever. And after my experience with getting my ears flushed out, holy crap, I figured I wasn't going in nearly as deep as their water jet thing, and the force of the water!! I was surprised it wasn't spraying out the other side!

I know where the limits are.

20. RINGADINGDING

RINGADINGDING New Member

OH STOP!!!! LOL