Principles for success in dealing with Menieres

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Mnme, Sep 15, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Scanning the posts this morning, I realised I missed two key principles mentioned by Intrepid (sorry Sarita!), so I'll add them now before I forget. While I'm at it, I'll add the other funadamental ones since added by Starfish and Linda.

41. Take it one day at a time.
    42. Try not to take counsel from your fear but instead work on being strong
    emotionally and psychologically.
    43. Begin again.
    44. Make sure you get enough sleep.
    45. Put stress management high on your priority list.

Yes, keep them coming! Alternatively, to help steer these away from sounding impractical/cliche, perhaps share a specific example of how to apply one of these (as some have already done).
    Thanks again everyone!

Lee.

2. Mnme

Mnme Guest

How very true! :)

3. pardonme

pardonme Guest

4. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Begin Again.....well, I saw it here on the forum. It was preceded by stories of people dealing with divorce, death, illness, etc. It struck me as a simple way of expressing what can take pages and pages to say.

One of our members was in distress and wondering how to go on after a horrible marriage and impending divorce. "Begin Again" seemed to fit. It's not easy and it doesn't happen overnight, but we have to start somewhere. Don't give up works. Start over works. But I like the sound of "Begin Again" because it denotes taking action.

I don't think we "Begin Again" while we are suffering at the bottom of whatever is distressing us, including our battles with Meniere's and other vestibular disorders. But it is like a lifesaver waiting for us to grab on and hold on until we are ready to "Begin Again." Sometimes we "begin again" over and over and over.

5. annegina

annegina New Member

I've read this thread every day for the last few days since it started. We should put it in the database!

One thing I have so appreciated about being middle aged is that you have lots of life experiences to draw on, either ours or someones we know, to find the courage and the will to "begin again"--we KNOW
    it can be done and taking one small step at a time it can be done again.

I have been tremendously helped by so many here and you struck a chord with me , Diane, when you made the true statement about keeping a balance is an ongoing thing, sticking to aiming for your target
    without sabotoging yourself with negative thinking. You never "arrive" because life itself is a journey!!

When I was still coming to terms with the fact that I have Meniere's it was hard to focus on those things that meant the world to me. Now, they keep me going--give me a reason to conquer my fears and get out there every day, one day at a time. My family, my job, my health, try to discern what God wants of me before I die, I keep those in front of me on my journey and focus as hard as I can, one day at a time.

I dont know if anyone realizes we come by these mental accomplishments because of what we have gone through--that in itself is pretty great, and these posts are our gifts to each other. How wonderful!!!

6. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Bump for those new to the forum.

Lee.

7. Cara

Cara New Member

"THERE ARE LOTS OF THINGS TO THINK ABOUT, BUT NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT"

8. ToniG

ToniG Guest

Excellent thread and Henry hit my strategies for menieres head on. :)

9. prosecutrix2850

prosecutrix2850 New Member

Do as much as you can on symptom-free days, because you never know how soon the next attack will come.

10. June

June New Member

Well said, well said!

11. CdnTBear

CdnTBear Every minute spent in anger is a minute wasted

What a wonderful, wonderful thread ... I just spent about 15 minutes reading each and every single post, all the way from page 1!!

We all need to remind ourselves of these things from time to time. The only thing I would have to contribute is this:

Rejoice in the small victories! (If you were able to go a whole day or even an hour without your ear ringing off the hook, or vertigo, then celebrate that - rejoice in that hour!)

12. fcclimber

fcclimber New Member

Thanks for reposting this. It's a great thread, and, like CdntBear, I just read the entire post.

I would add that while it's important to be open to outside input from doctors and friends, remember to listen to yourself. It's your body, and you know it better than anyone.

I've tried many different techniques, homeopathic and traditional to manage my symptoms. But I have this one friend who consistently would make me feel guilty if I didn't try this new approach that she'd thought of, or if I tried the approach but used a different practicioner than the one she recommended. You should never feel pressured into something, nor should you feel guilty. When my friend tried to convince me that 'colon cleansing' was the answer to my MM - I drew the line. LOL

13. June

June New Member

Amen!

14. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

I've too tried to focus on what I am capable of doing - even if today's it's not mighty...if I focus on what I can not do I become overwhelmed and burdened with grief - but even today if I can only smile when inside I feel like crying and make my smile meaningful and warm to another is like moving mountains to me