Principles for success in dealing with Menieres

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Mnme, Sep 15, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Now that's a unique take on it Red Barchetta. In fact, it got me thinking. (oh, oh! :) )
    To be successful in any area of life (business, sporting performance etc), it seems to be more about general approach than anything else. 'Successful' people have passion, resilience, the ability to set goals (small and large), expect problems and know how to problem solve. In other words, they have self-belief and a personal guiding plan.

But when it comes to health problems, it's pretty easy to receive a prognosis and think "Ok, that's it for me". Yet our elite sportspeople, for example, know to look at what they can do rather than focusing on perceived limitations. It's a way of thinking.

I think back to that terrible moment when the 'reality' of my meniere's diagnosis first hit me. I felt totally alone and absolutely devastated. But I now wonder how much better it would have been if my 'prescription' had been to learn some of the strategies talked about here. I think these are the qualities most people are looking for when they first find this forum.

Lee.

2. pardonme

pardonme Guest

3. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

whoa, spelunking! Neat! It has been years but what a rush.

4. pardonme

pardonme Guest

5. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

so here we have another principle: pushing ourselves physically and trying new things for our bodies and minds. Spelunking, rock scrambling, scuba diving, walking, exercise machines, weight lifting, anyone can do some of these things. Endorphins are released during physical exercise and that helps us to feel better. Bicycling, running, swimming, hiking...

6. kass

kass New Member

Spelunking - had to google it for a clue as to its meaning, good one Diane, sounds fun and now on my 'to do' list.

Yep Gf, as usual your right - moving out of our comfort zones and thinking and willing ourselves well on principle, or at least having a go on principle - is in principle, the key.

Have just returned from 2 months camping up in the remote Kimberley with my Traditional Aboriginal Elders - living a hunter-gatherer type lifestyle, no beds, chairs or mod cons - Mother earth our floor, bathroom a waterfall, cooking fires sandalwood, food straight from the running streams or rolling plains into the coals - sorry about that DizE :) don't worry there are still millions of Skippy's for you to pat.

For me, after returning from these annual sojourns living in the natural world - The strong connection between modern living, where our bodies natural gait and movement is restricted to meet the modern tools of today - versus - the natural doing-ness and movement of the old world, stands out like dog's b#@l's and throws up some very vital clues around the symptoms of menieres, especially to those who sit in the skeletal and muscular dysfunction camp of this disease. With this in mind, I once asked Lee, our walking dictionary on the subject of Menieres, what was going on historically when Dr Menieres first diagnosed this illness ?

As quick as a flash, Lee's reply came..."Menieres at that time, was also known as the "Watchmakers Disease" - Bingo !

As an old scribe, with half a lifetime being hunched-up over a series of key-boards, or for those who use easels or guitar surely that would have to be the equivalent to being hunched over a work bench building watches in the 18th century - not to mention the laws of paid labour and consequent stresses that came out of the invention of a timepiece...

What do you think ?

7. survivedit

survivedit New Member

I think that was a great post. That must have been really cool to get to live with the aboriginals. We used to live in a tipi in the summer when the kids were little and it was great, but we still did have to work. No electric or gas or running water. The kids complained some at the time, but now they have great memories of it and it makes a good story to tell.

We also experience something like that on Grand Canyon river trips. No cars, motors, electricity, roads, telephones, cell phones, computers......just the natural flow of daily life. It's one of my favorite things. Granted it's only 3 weeks, but it only takes a couple days to get in the groove and then it becomes completely normal. I like that kind of normal. Reintrocudtion to 'the world' is always kind of overwhelming - especially the drive out of the Canyon. After floating along for weeks at 4 mph - even going 25 seems way too fast.

I'd never heard MM called watchmakers disease before - interesting. Now it seems more like it's teacher's disease.

Thanks for the interesting post - I enjoyed reading it.

Bob

8. goldie

goldie me and joshua

YOU HAVE TO STAY POSITIVE, NEVER GIVE UP. THERE ARE DAYS YOU NEED TO REST BUT YOU CAN'T LET IT TAKE OVER YOUR LIFE. I CAN'T TELL YOU THE NUMBER OF TIMES I GO TO WORK FEELING VERY OFF. I JUST GRAB MY CANE AND OFF TO WORK I GO. UNLESS I'M VOMITING I'M OUT THERE

9. pardonme

pardonme Guest

10. Titus

Titus New Member

AMEN to that, Diane. My husband noticed an onset of symptoms similar to mine after he had spend a whole day on the computer. I wasn't a bit surprised. I noticed his posture was crooked.

11. Mnme

Mnme Guest

I love where this thread is meandering to. So many interesting perspectives.

Out of all available 'treatments', I firmly believe that applying these principles would always offer the best results. And they are free!

Lee.

12. Rick

Rick New Member

...Even though I don't do the Muscle/trigger point stuff, I do think there's quite a connection. Referring to the watchmaker, while the stress and concentration is there as Diane pointed out, detailed work like that (even looking at the computer) can cause intense muscle strain. My eyes got so strained a few years back that my eyes muscles completely relaxed. This made me see double on any objects less than ten feet away. Very scary.
    ...After a little research I learned about computer glasses and got a pair. It always amazes me of the muscle tension that we don't realize exists. For example i was just now working on the computer and didn't realize I had on my regular glasses. After about 5 minutes I realized this and put on my computer glasses. Every muscle in my face relaxed instantaineously and was like eating "melt in your mouth" chocolate.
    ...I don't talk about my glasses that much but I believe they are part of my overall treatment besides the diets and the glasses are addressing the muscle tension issue. Just thought I would throw that tidbit in, not sure if it belongs in this thread.
    Rick

13. Rick

Rick New Member

...I never really thought about the affordability before and your right, there's lots of things that require money that may not be options for many. Very good point. But I also think what you said about taking "one day at a time" is also very valuable in dealing with this disease. I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but it's been very important to me in the past, and I'm sure to others as well.
    ...I have insurance but as i look back, all my sucesses have been free. I haven't replaced any of the gluten with Gluten free or organic. In fact, since the kids have been gone, we eat out most of the time. I did spend $15 for my GI book but that's been about the extent of it.
    ...I'm sadden when someone has tried all the free stuff and hasn't got any relief and I don't think it's fair that there are options that might help that are out of reach. I wish I knew what to say that would help your frustrations but that isn't one of my gifts and how I wish it was sometimes. I'll just shut up now.
    Rick

14. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Intrepid, you have the courage to say what I suspect many will be thinking. Here's my honest view on it ...

Most people think we have to be in this perfect situation for success. Yet I found the exact opposite. When I was still capable of doing things like cooking for my family, helping my children with homework, doing the dishes etc. I struggled to cope with meniere's, but somehow did. But then two things happened.
    Firstly, I became so ill I couldn't do ANY of those things.
    Secondly, we ran out of money.

Suddenly I was time rich but financially poor. But 'time' loomed ahead like an enemy. I HATED life like I was. I couldn't cope at all even though I had always been a fighter. So my reality was, either that was it for me, or I had to do something ... and it had to be free. It was at that point that I started applying the success principles talked about here. Not all at once, but I'd grab ahold of one at a time - like a lifeline. Then I'd add another, as someone here said "Let success build on success".

No matter how inconvenient, the reality is that all of us here have been diagnosed with a chronic condition or know someone who has. Naturally, not everyone will have the same absolute need to improve that I had. But all I want people to know is that it IS POSSIBLE (in fact, probable) when we apply time tested universal principles.

And finally, to show how to apply just one principle - I'll draw on my favourite, 'Work at what is within your control'. It's just like coming upon an emergency situation - you have to make up your mind what is possible and simply start doing it. This is the only practical response as I see it.

I'll follow this post up with a summary of the principles everyone has shared so far. I believe the key is to make them fit your current situation, whatever that may be. Even if it's one at a time, aim to soon add another.

Lee.

15. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Here's my attempt to summarise the principles shared so far:

1. Focus on things within your control.
    2. Keep your eyes on the target.
    3. Don't surrender to negative 'what ifs?' Use positive self-talk.
    4. Keep a dairy to track progress.
    5. Work hard at being as healthy as possible.
    6. Sometimes you'll need a 'kick ass' attitude and willpower.
    7. Work towards acceptance of where you are at. Be realistic.
    8. Be open to trying anything that has worked for someone else.
    9. Never stop trying different solutions until you hit on something that works.
    10. Stay positive.
    11. Don't allow negative influences to affect your pursuit of health.
    12. Try the non-invasive before the invasive.
    13. Have gratitude as being greatful leads to being hopeful.
    14. Turn negative 'what ifs' to positive ones.
    15. Love yourself and others, as this is healing.
    16. Have faith in miracles.
    17. Take action no matter how small. Offer a kind word, a prayer, an email
    and/or a hug.
    18. Don't waste today worrying about tomorrow as who knows, it might be your
    last.
    19. Keep your ear to the ground to keep yourself informed. Solid evidence is to
    be accepted while promises should be viewed with skepticism.
    20. Be kind, as this is the way to peace and happiness.
    21. Don't pre-grieve as this puts the focus on a negative outcome.
    22. Laugh! If you feel too ill to laugh, smile instead.
    23. Focus on what works.
    24. Never say why (victim), instead say how (proactive).
    25. Be thankful for life, even on the worst of days.
    26. Be gracious to others and ourself.
    27. Remember that our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising
    every time we fall. (Confucious)
    28. Build on your successes, let them give you confidence. Truly believe that
    tomorrow can be better.
    29. Our worst day with meneires just may be better than the best day of
    some.
    30. Count your blessings.
    31. Learn to evaluate your weaknesses/disablilities, then move on.
    32. Stay in your own POWER with YOU being the absolute driver of your
    own wellness plan.
    33. Allow your body to find it's own default position after long sessions of
    hunched up sedentary work by applying simple stretching exercises.
    34. When it seems like there is NO light at the end of the tunnel - get in there
    and light the bloody thing yourself!
    35. If MM does something to promote itself, do something even bigger
    to counter so that you ALWAYS stay on top!
    36. Push yourself physically and try new things for the body and mind.
    37. Get back to nature (and the natural movement associated with it)
    whenever possible. Posture associated with modern day living can be very
    harmful (eg. being on a computer for too long).
    38. When you have the choice, don't live your life controlled by time.
    39. Be careful of unrecognised muscle tension (eg. eye strain at a computer).
    40. Adjust these success principles to suit your situation.

16. MedievalWriter

MedievalWriter Ryan's Rose Pvt Ryan Winslow KIA Iraq 4-2006

Thanks everyone, from me too. These are inspiring.

17. pardonme

pardonme Guest

18. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Begin Again

19. Starfish03

Starfish03 New Member

Sleep . . . . did anyone mention sleep? I find if I don't get good sleep, my meniere's is much worse.

Great thread . . . . keep 'em coming! :)

20. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

I agree, sleep is very important.

So is..........manage stress.