Principles for success in dealing with Menieres

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Mnme, Sep 15, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

focus on what works
    don't worry about what has yet to happen
    never say why (victim), instead say how (proactive)
    be thankful for life even on the worst of days
    be gracious to others and myself

2. Rick

Rick New Member

...Amen, Sister!!!
    ...Sorry I don't have anything more to add and if your wondering why it took me so long to reply, I was out of town. But this is a great thread and wish I could think of something that somebody hasn't already mentioned.
    ....But this is my favorite one. Once I adopted this priciple, everything started to fall in place. The only thing I would add is, focus on things within my control. Whether you believe it will work or not . I think many have not tried some of the things mentioned on this board because they don't believe they work and I was one of the worst. But when I saw that wheat and oats were triggering my vertigo attacks, it made a believer out of me that it can be anything. As long as it's safe, I'm going to try it.
    ...Thanks for the post, Lee.
    Rick

3. annegina

annegina New Member

Build on your successes, let them give you confidence.
    things like:

Remember all those times you went out in spite of your fear of an attack and then nothing happened--
    you didn't let fear stand in your way.

Tinnitus is almost overwhelming-- you allow yourself to get distracted--it calms down.

You turn away from mulling over your disease to accomplish something or reach out to someone else.
    You haven't let MM keep you down.

You do have an attack and you are shown loving care by your family or support by those here at the forum--you get up when it's over and start over.

You truly believe tomorrow can be better.

You thank someone who posts just the things you need to read at the time you need to read them :) :) :)

Thanks Lee, and all of you.

Carol

4. Joanne5170

Joanne5170 New Member

Hello

I used to be a regular on this site. I was diagnosed with Meinieres in 2000. I was disabled my life was over. Nothing seemed to work
    I tried the Meinette box drugs acupunture etc.

Finally I had Vestibular Nerve Section in May 2002. It was a tough surgery. Since the surgery I have had no symptoms of menieres
    disease. Only a slight tinnitus and hearing loss. I had my last attack the night before the surgery in 20002.

I have complete balance and absolutely no dizziness or vertigo since the surgery. Joan Boyd

5. Majorpain38

Majorpain38 New Member

I am currently a soldier with 28 years of service and I can tell you this was not in my plan. I had an endolymphatic mastoid shunt in my left ear about a week ago and will do the right side as soon as the doc gives me the thumbs up. I have read and agree with the many success principals that many have written. I would like to add this one. My worst day with meneires, and I have many, is far better than the best day some of our service men and women at Walter Reed are having. Then I get up and get going cause their is still a mission to complete.

6. Mnme

Mnme Guest

So many awesome posts here! I was going to summarise the key principles, but I now see that each one is so important it deserves to stand alone.

Joanne5170, I remember you from many years ago. That's great that you found a treatment that works for you. But rather than discussing specific treatment options in this thread (which so often cause debate), I was hoping to focus on 'universal principles' that everyone can apply. I guess your 'success principles' would be to keep trying options until you find one that works ... and once you find it, share it with others. :)

Thanks again everyone.

Lee.

7. Trish

Trish Guest

Count your blessings.

I know some people find that phrase irritating and patronizing, but I count my blessings every day.

The list is endless......

8. annegina

annegina New Member

No, Trish,
    That is a wonderful idea.
    My list is endless, too.

9. Rick

Rick New Member

...I still think you have a good idea about summarizing. Maybe let this thread run it's course and then summarrize it the best you can, and then create a new thread with the results. Let everyone review it for a while and then ask Ray to move it to the database section.
    Rick

10. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Thanks, Sarita. I forgot this one in my post.

11. KellyC

KellyC New Member

About 19 years ago, I was diagnosed with Asthma, for quite a while before the diagnosis, I would have attacks where it was very hard to breathe. I was at the doctors office with one of my daughters when I got the diagnosis and I remember her telling my wife: "When dad found out he had Asthma, he smiled". She may have said that I seemed happy. I never gave it much thought, we have to learn accept our disabilities, then move on. Thankfully the Asthma rarely bothers me anymore, and I no longer used medication to control it.

I have been doing well for about 2 months now, and try never to get down because of MM, just keep pushing on. A good support group like we have here also helps too.

Thanks everyone.

12. Rick

Rick New Member

...From my experiance, doctors don't give a diagnoses of asthma unless the asthma attacks are present. And since you mentioned that you don't get attacks anymore and that your not taking medication, it sounds like you may not have asthma anymore. But not getting asthma attacks may not mean that your breathingmay not be restricted but just not enough to cause problems.
    ...The reason I mention that is because I take flonase on a constant basis and have to keep my sinuses clear to keep from triggering my MM symptoms. Restricted breathing can also cause igher than normal CO2 levels and that has been shown to trigger panic attacks and Meniere's symptoms.
    ...Just wanted to give you a heads up that many of us have found that other conditions like asthma, diabetes, metabolic syndrome, etc.. causes our MM symptoms to increase.
    Rick

13. Daize

Daize New Member

Thank you Lee and everyone for this post. I read every post and I am so glad this was here.

Ruth

14. Mnme

Mnme Guest

OK, I'll have a go at summarising it at the end Rick. :)
    It's funny, but I started this hoping that as a group, those who had experienced 'success' could help others. But it made me realise that everyone has at least one good strategy they continually draw on. Perhaps the key is to be open to learning more.

Thanks to those who have shared up to this point: Pardonme, wlyeager, Headnoise, Andrea, Paris, Dizzy Little Piggy, Linda, Henrysullivan, Titus, Twinklenani, Wobbles, Tizzy, Trish, Gardenfish, Rick, Intrepid, annegina, Joanne, Majorpain, Kelly and Daize.

15. kass

kass New Member

G'day Lee,

Great subject line and postings !

My contribution to the list would have to be "Staying in your own POWER" with YOU being the absolute driver of your own wellness plan.

Secondly, my utmost principle in maintaining my own wellness plan is to always "Allow my body to find it's own default position" after long sessions of hunched up sedentary work by applying simple stretching exercises especially around the neck, shoulders and lower back.

Finally, "When it seems like there is NO light at the end of the tunnel - get in there and light the bloody thing yourself"

Cheers and hullo to everyone, Kass.

16. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

"When it seems like there is NO light at the end of the tunnel - get in there and light the bloody thing yourself"
    oh my!! What a winner of a philosophy.

Kass!
    :) I owe you a PM.

17. DizE

DizE New Member

Hey Kass! Long time no see!
    Great message! I have found if I have a little light I can find someone else with a little light and together we can make it out of the darkness.
    Thanks to you and Lee for helping me. :)

18. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Hahahaha kass! Never one to beat around the bush! Oh, but how true!

DizE!! ... when are you popping over the pond for another visit? I hear the roos are out in full force :)

19. Red Barchetta

Red Barchetta New Member

If you want to view this in a business perspective - I personally am looking at MM as a rival competitor! If it dose something to promote itself, do something even bigger to counter, so that you ALWAYS stay on top! Of course that's not going to work every time - but when it dose not, don't give up, just push even harder, using any means you can (why not? - if you are looking at it from a business prospective, you also have to realize - especially with a direct competitor - as MM is in this case - it's a cut throat type thing, and not always fair play!)

20. DizE

DizE New Member

Lee
    I am heading downunder again in 2008.
    Will you take me to see Skippy again? ;D ;D ;D