Principles for success in dealing with Menieres

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Mnme, Sep 15, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Mnme

Mnme Guest

I've found that general principles of success so often associated with business, relationships, sport and finances can be applied effectively to dealing with menieres. So I was thinking that maybe we could identify these and consider how to make them work for us.

One of my favourite 'success principles' is to focus on things within my control. This means that rather than mourning what I can't do, I try hard to focus on and deal with what I can.

Anyone else have any 'success principles' to share?

Lee.

2. pardonme

pardonme Guest

3. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Yes! I guess the hardest part is believing we can set an achievable target when told to 'learn to live with' chronic illness. Yet in reality, successful people in all walks of life only get there because they are willing to strive for more, even when told it's not possible.

4. wlyeager

wlyeager Fly fishing is good for the soul

This relates to worrying about things you cannot change. My best example is when the tinnitus is extra special loud. It just makes it worse to fret and worry about it.

5. HeadNoise

HeadNoise Invisible Me

Don't surrender to the "what ifs". This is related to worrying about what you can't change, but also puts self-imposed limitations on what we think we can or can't do now because we might have an attack in public, we might go bilateral, we might lose our hearing. Don't listen to that negative self talk!

6. Andrea1962

Andrea1962 New Member

Keep a diary.

I no longer keep one, but did for the first 4 months or so. I was amazed afterwards at how much I had gone through and how much better I felt later.

Sometimes we don't realize how well we have become until we read and remember how we bad we were in our sickest moments.

7. paris 48

paris 48 New Member

For me personally dealing with MM means keeping myself as healthy as possible,sheer willpower and sometimes a kick@ss attitude.Last winter things got so bad I had days when I could barely stand up,yet I went in my backyard,hanging on to the fence while walking.Never let the beast get the upper hand,no mather how difficult things get.

8. Mnme

Mnme Guest

These are WONDERFUL ideas. Most definately tinnitus is worse when we focus on it. And those terrible 'what ifs'! They are more disabling than anything! And yes to positive self-talk ... I remember ages back Pardonme pointed out how people seem so quick to offer positives to others in tricky situations, yet when they strike trouble, they can be so tough on themselves. Yes, diaries are a valuable, personal resource. And it's awesome to experience that true inner strength that has the chance to shine in adversity. Finally there is nothing better we can do for ourselves than aim to be as healthy as possible.

I'm going to print these off as an ongoing reminder of the power in focusing on positives. Thanks to all who have contributed.

9. Dizzy Little Piggy

Dizzy Little Piggy OINK OINK

ACCEPTANCE- accept the fact that you have a disease with no known cause and no known cure.

Be REALISTIC- Don't get upset when the symptoms cause you problems and don't expect that you will ever be cured.

Piggy

10. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

This is what I've done. It works for me.

11. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Here are 5 principles for good health:

1) Be open to trying anything that has worked for someone else.

2) Never stop trying different solutions until you hit on something that works.

3) Stay positive.

4) Do not allow negative influences to affect your pursuit of health.

5)Try the non-invasive before the invasive.

Good to hear from you, Lee. Hope all is well.

Hank

12. Titus

Titus New Member

Hey there, Lee!

Have GRATITUDE. Be greatful for the support of friends and family. Be thankful for the little things like when your dog gives you a cuddle. I think being greatful leads to being hopeful.

Fill your mind with POSITIVE thoughts. Turn around those negative "what if's" to positive "what if's". Nothing is impossible.

LOVE yourself and others. The power of love is amazing. And loving ourselves (sometimes hard) is healing.

Have FAITH in miracles. Believe that you will find something that helps you move toward better health.

ACT. Do something, no matter how small, to bless someone. Just a kind word, a prayer, an e-mail, or a hug.

13. twinklenani

twinklenani Guest

carpe diem'! Today may be the only day I have, so I don't want to waste it worrying about tomorrow. Blessings, twinkle

14. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

“Keep your ear to the ground" is an apt bit of advice for us folks with inner ear disorders. It means we should try to keep informed about our disease, especially if there are rumours or uncertainties that cloud the situation or lead us astray from the basics of good health management. We need to think before we act. Solid evidence is to be accepted while promises should be viewed with skepticism. Be circumspect.

But as Ttius says "Be Kind" and you will find peace and happiness. No better advice than that.

Joe

15. Tizzy

Tizzy New Member

someone else posted it a couple of year ago "don't pre-grieve" and is a good way to remember not to focus on a negative outcome

16. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Here's a summary of the valuable principles offered so far (Thanks to everyone who contributed ... let me know if I've missed the heart of your message):

1. Focus on things withing your control. Don't worry about things you can't
    change, for example if tinnitus is extra loud on a given day, don't fret.
    2. Keep your eyes on the target.
    3. Don't surrender to negative 'what ifs?' Use positive self-talk.
    4. Keep a dairy to track progress and be able to reflect.
    5. Work hard at being as healthy as possible.
    6. Sometimes you'll need a 'kick ass' attitude and willpower.
    7. Work towards acceptance of where you are at. Be realistic.
    8. Be open to trying anything that has worked for someone else.
    9. Never stop trying different solutions until you hit on something that works.
    10. Stay positive.
    11. Don't allow negative influences to affect your pursuit of health.
    12. Try the non-invasive before the invasive.
    13. Have gratitude as being greatful leads to being hopeful.
    14. Fill your mind with positive thoughts. Turn negative 'what ifs' to positive
    ones.
    15. Love yourself and others as this is healing.
    16. Have faith in miracles.
    17. Take action no matter how small. Offer a kind word, a prayer, an email
    and/or a hug.
    18. Don't waste today worrying about tomorrow as who knows, it might be the last
    day you have.
    19. Keep your ear to the ground to keep yourself informed. Solid evidence is to
    be accepted while promises should be viewed with skepticism.
    20. Be kind as this is the way to peace and happiness.
    21. Don't pre-grieve as this puts the focus on a negative outcome.

I wonder which of these 21 principles are currently your strengths and which your weaknesses? Have we covered them all?

17. Mnme

Mnme Guest

I find it really interesting to reflect back and see how many of these principles I was missing many years ago when I first found this forum. It demonstrates how much 'menieres' has taught me.

But I think the one principle I still grapple most with is a part of number 15 ... 'loving others'. I tend to be too opinionated and sometimes struggle to see things from someone else's point of view. But I'm working on it! ;D

Hank ... all is very well, thanks for asking :)
    Titus ... hi back at you! :)

18. Trish

Trish Guest

LAUGH!

Laughing triggers the release of endorphins, relaxes your muscles and improves the immune system.
    Laugh a little every day!..buy a joke book...watch a funny movie, read bergies posts :D

If you feel too ill to laugh, smile instead :)...every little helps.....

19. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Trish, how could we forget principle 22 ... to laugh! Nothing combats stress like a good old fashioned 'belly' laugh!

These principles may sound somehow 'cliche', but I believe they are VERY powerful ... in fact, at the foundation of every 'success' story. They sum up that special quality that shines through on this forum - the human side of dealing with suffering that is so often missing in the clinical, harsh process of receiving a diagnosis/prognosis. These are the lessons from people who have learned how to manage and even resolve their suffering, so I believe they are priceless.

Lee.

20. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

This was a great post for folks who choose to use it.