Prilosec going to mess up my vitamin regimen?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by clarabelle, May 29, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. clarabelle

clarabelle New Member

I started taking Prilosec. I've read, though, that taking this can effect the absorbtion of vitamins. Is this true? I've been taking vitamin B, D, C and grape seed extract. These are imperative to my inner ear issues getting better but I also need to address my growing acid reflux problem, and I've tried every other remedy and diet change but it's down to needing Prilosec.

Anyone else know if this medication will effect all of the vitamins I am taking?

2. jim1884again

jim1884again advocating baldness be recognized as a disability

yes, I take it, and yes, since it inhibits acid secretion in the stomach it does interfere with the absorption of some vitamins and minerals--the question is how much?, and if you really need the med, then you have to do your own cost benefit analysis

after you take it (even though it has a relatively short half life) your stomach can take 3-4 days to produce the same amount of acid it would have if you hadn't taken it--that tells us it is effective in doing what it is supposed to do, but it also tells us it might have some impact on absorption for quite a while--it also means that taking it at a different time than we take the other vitamins/supplements might help but wouldn't completely solve the problem--that is still what I would recommend (take it several hours after you have taken the other things)--not a perfect solution, but from what I can tell, it will reduce the problem with absorption some and I am not certain the problem is that big to begin with