Pregnancy and MM

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by LAnn33, Sep 29, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. LAnn33

LAnn33 New Member

I am curious to get feedback from the women who have been pregnant with MM. Anything weird or different or intersting I should know? Also, how has life been after having the baby. More tired, more vertigo, etc, etc.....--Leigh Ann

2. dizzyshaney

dizzyshaney New Member

Hi..I have a 13 month old baby girl. I think I have had MM since I was about 15..I started with the vertigo then anyway. Only started with the hearing loss and tinnitus in the last few years. Although my MM isn't severe I do get severe vertigo attacks about once every 5 years and the last one was when my baby was 6 months old. I couldn't do anything for her..such as bath her, pick her up and especially carry her around so hubby had to stay off work. My vertigo seems to last a week before i can start to feel better so I'm glad it doesn't happen often. The last bout did leave my Positional Vertigo harder to manage so I still find it difficult to walk down the stairs or to bend down to pick her up. I was only officially diagnosed a few months ago so now I'm on medication which most of the time helps with the positional vertigo. Luckily I didn't have any trouble when I was actually pregnant. One of the main problems with me at the moment is cognitive problems which cause me to feel frustrated and stressed easily so i try to keep relaxed which is difficult with a baby that crawls at 100 mph!!! oh.... and the screaming sends my ears wild!! Anyway hope some of this helps...basically I think the practical side such as walking down stairs and loosing balance holding the baby is my main worry. Good Luck xxxxx ;D

3. cdedie

cdedie Designed by DizzyNBlue

Bumping this for more responses. I am in contact with a woman who is due the end of Oct. She was diagnosed with MM during her pregnancy. Have told her about this site, but she's in denial. Thinks symptoms will go away after the baby comes.

4. Gwendelyn

Gwendelyn New Member

I had my 1st attack when I was pregnant and then didn't have another attack for several years.

I don't know if this helps or not.

Gwen

5. cdedie

Thanks Gwen! You always help!:D

6. ToniG

ToniG Guest

I was dx'd with menieres when I was 12, so I had it during both my pregnancies. I was blessed and just felt off balance, my tinnitus went dorment during my 6th month of pregnancies. I honestly believe that I didn't have any vertigo problems after they were born due to breastfeeding and it helped keep the body in check.

7. LAnn33

LAnn33 New Member

thanks so much, i just know when pregnant the body does strange things, and i was really interested to know if anyone's symptoms disappeared or got worse. i have heard of many women's diseases going away. like my friends has MS and her symptoms went away entirely until about 6 months after the birth of her child. anyway, thanks!

8. cdedie

BTW this woman I've been talking to has been using Cranberry Juice for her diuretic and hasn't had an attack since she started drinking lots of it. FYI

9. cmrasberry

cmrasberry New Member

Hi, I hope this will not discourage you from trying to get pregnant if you really want to do so. I began having severe vertigo while pregnant, was very ill and hospitalized several times. My baby was born 3 weeks early by emergency c section due to my severe illness with MM (the drs did not know what it was) and I was even more ill for the 6 months I breastfed. I had vertigo where I was bedridden more days than not. At 6 months, I was encouraged to give up breastfeeding to try some medications which I did, but I did not get any better and got worse...to make a long story short, I was in the bed with vertigo attacks at least 3 days a week until I was diagnosed by a neurologist when my son was 18 months old. I had to have my mom or a caregiver take care of both me and the baby. After I was diagnosed, I began to see a neurotologist and it only took 2 months to get me on some meds that really helped and I was practically vertigo free for a year. I have had good and bad days, many more good than bad lately, but constant ear pain and fatigue and slight dizziness for at least 6 months. I will be in bed for a week at least once every 6-8 weeks. I am much better than I was, but my husband and I have decided that we will not risk my going off my meds to have another child or what my possibly being really ill again would do to our 3 1/2 year old love of our life.

Remember though, that the only constant with this disease is that everyone is different...you might have a great pregnancy and feel better than ever...you never know!

Best of luck in whatever you decide!

10. LAnn33

LAnn33 New Member

sounds like for you the onset was when you were pregnant which probably amplified the disease even more..... the first few years of my MM was horrible, now 6 years later, i am virtually vertigo free. i haven't had a "long lasting", 1-6 hour vertigo attack in years, however, i do have the qiuck spins every now and again which throw me to the floor. *sigh*. my ringing has gotten worse lately, and i feel off balance all the time, but no vertigo- i suppose i should be happy, right?!

11. saggy4

saggy4 New Member

hi all,
    this is me saggy here...
    Daughter had a mojor attack today, we took her to er and they gave her 5 mg valiums, and metzicine and zofran for being sick.. also got the shock of our lives...
    Yes, doctor told her she is at the beginning of a pregnancy. we think she is around 3 to 4 weeks. she called her ear doctor as soon as she got home and they told her to stop taking all medicines. im worried on all that. she just got finish doing a huge 5 days supply of predisone. akso been taking zolft,htct,and valiums.what do u take for meds if u are preg??? thanks all

12. DizzyPaws

DizzyPaws Learning early

I have noticed my symptoms worsened after each pregnancy. I didnt take meds during the pregnancy other than specific asthma meds I knew were ok. Just as each pregnancy is different and every MM is different. Its hard to really say what will happen. During the pregnancy, I had some vertigo, but wasnt real bad.

13. joannqn

joannqn New Member

I'm 24 weeks pregnant with my third child and my doctor thinks I have Meniere's. I have no history of vertigo prior to this pregnancy. My first episode of vertigo occurred when I was 6 weeks pregnant. I have 2-3 hour attacks of vertigo three days in a row. Then I was fine until I was 15 1/2 weeks pregnant when I had vertigo for 2 days followed by 3 weeks decreasing problems with dizziness and positional vertigo. I've had three more attacks of vertigo lasting 2 days each since then. My last attack was 3 weeks ago but the positional vertigo has not gone away. Of course, I'm hoping all this is just some weird pregnancy related thing but I'm not in denial about it possibly/probably continuing past that.

As far as what you can do during pregnancy...reduce stress as much as possible (this seems to be helping me...I also rest as often as I need to), meclizine is class B for pregnancy and can be taken and some anti-depressants can be used as well. Other drugs need to be looked up individually. Class A and class B are generally considered ok to take. Class C needs to be use only if risks outweigh the benefits. Class X must be avoided at all costs because they cause birth defects. I've found my regular anti-nausea (I have severe morning sickness with pregnancy that must be medicated) works better than meclizine for me at allieviating the nausea and vomiting that my constant unbalance and dizziness is causing. I take 1/2 Unisom (regular strength...extra strength is a different ingredient) and 25 mg B-6 (1/2 50mg tablet) at bedtime every night. This is safe with pregnancy as well. It can be taken up to 3 times a day safely. Low salt diets and diuretics are not good for pregnancy.