Pop substitute :D

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by AshleysMom, Aug 9, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. AshleysMom

AshleysMom New Member

For those not drinking pop and missing it, this is a drink I just love that I read off a messageboard.

I put crushed ice in a glass and pour perrier up to half the glass then I top off the top half with juice. My favorite is pomegranate or tart cherry. It fizzes just like a pop and is tasty too.

Autumn

2. saltlesstears

saltlesstears New Member

That sounds yummy, Autumn. As a Noo Yawker ::) we use SELTZER instead of Perrier. I use any juice I have...pineapple, black currant....I did lime yesterday...(I used to be a diet coke ADDICT and kicked the habit by realizing it was THE BUBBLES that I loved) I will look for sour cherry juice as that is delicious

3. AshleysMom

AshleysMom New Member

Seltzer is good too, I think perrier seems to be a bit fizzier though. I love the fizzy drinks, Pineapple juice sounds good too. I like pomegranate but I dont like the price of the pure stuff. It was $12 a bottle.

4. jrw

jrw New Member

We've used club soda mixed with juice, mostly grape juice, for years. The kids got so spoiled on the great taste that grape pop tastes like nothing to them.

5. AshleysMom

AshleysMom New Member

My daughter would love that!

6. DKitchen

DKitchen New Member

Old Orchard has just come out with a Pomagranate/Blueberry & another pomagranate/mix 100% juice. It comes frozen & ready made. I bought a container the other day to try it & my kids drank it all. It's a little bitter as expected, but the blueberry smoothed it out. I bet it would be really good with some bubbles.

7. AshleysMom

AshleysMom New Member

That does sound good! Im going to have to pick one up at the grocery store.

I tried grape juice last night and it was so much like grape pop, I loved it. Its so nice to have these on such hot days, I was really getting bored with water :)

8. saltlesstears

saltlesstears New Member

I am with you on th eprice of pomegrante juice.

BTW: Club soda has a high sodium content and seltzer has none. I get the seltzer because it is very inexpensive here The one I love for bubbles and fizziness is San Pellegrino water from Italy.

9. AshleysMom

AshleysMom New Member

hmm, I havent heard of that. I'll have to check it out thanks.

Autumn

10. Moogs

Moogs New Member

BJ's has a relatively inexpensive Pomegranate juice in the dairy section. It is one of my main draws to BJ's these days.

XX
    OO

11. AshleysMom

AshleysMom New Member

Thanks :)_ We dont have a bj's here but I should check out sams club.

12. darkwingedfae

darkwingedfae New Member

I also found that vitamin water is a good one too. I know it's not carbonated, but many of them have no soduim at all, that and they are VERY low in sugar, and have very few calories. Also they are infused with just average vitamins. the lemonaide is great and just has a little bit of mutlivitamin added.

Although I am one of the lucky ones I guess to where caffine and such doesn't bother me. Although the list that does seems like a mile long.

13. AshleysMom

AshleysMom New Member

Thanks :) Is vitamin water sweetened with artificial sweetners or regular sugars?

14. muzicgirl

muzicgirl Of course, I'm the one in the blue bathing suite!

I drink very little soda also. I love vitamin water- especially the one that has potassium in it- potassium is something we need plenty of to begin with. I also buy the flavored seltzers- rasberry, lime, lemon, etc and add juice to them. Adding mint leaves and some crystal light mix is like having a non-alcoholic mint julip!!!
    -M

15. AshleysMom

AshleysMom New Member

16. widow77

widow77 FRIENDS LIKE THIS KEEP YOU GOING

I love my soda and diet rite makes 6 or 7 flavors that have no salt, sugar or caffine.

17. June

June New Member

I drink the Diet Rite Pure Zero 9 calories, carbs, caffeine, sodium. It uses splenda instead of aspartame. Probably some toxic chemical soup but it's cold and it fizzes.

18. June

June New Member

Schweppes says their club soda has 95mg sodium per 12 fl ounces.

19. tm53

tm53 New Member

It's not pop but I do enjoy my Propel. Most flavors are strong enough that you can dilute in half with water, about 100mg in an entire bottle so 50mg if you dilute.

20. jrw

jrw New Member

If you take an 8 oz. glass, fill it over half full with grape juice, then add about an inch of club soda, you get a fizzy grape drink but only 15-20 mg sodium. And not the load of phosphoric acid that is in regular soda.