Poor appetite

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by Shining, Aug 30, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Shining

Shining "knowing is half the battle" ~~~GI Joe

For the last few days I have developed this low-level constant dizzyness and nausea. My appetite is really affected. I certainly needed to lose a bit, but I am losing it the bad way, with poor nutrition. The low salt, no caffeine, no migraine triggers diet just SUCKS and does not encourage me to want to eat anything. Fast food is OUT, most restaurant food is loaded with salt, too. So what do you do when you don't want to eat any more? I have had maybe three meals in three days. Is there a restaurant chain that is not so bad that anyone could recommend?

2. pardonme

pardonme Guest

3. mcdizzy

mcdizzy "Now Who's the Dumbass Dumbass"

Might want to get your potasium & salt levels checked. I learned this the hard way. Potassium ok after a week of horsepills (potassium twice daily), no diuretic and limited fluids. I am still working on getting salt level back up to acceptable range. I had absolutely no appetite before they discovered my levels were too low. Lost weight also but as you said not in a good way. Just a suggestion coming from my experience.

4. Shining

Shining "knowing is half the battle" ~~~GI Joe

:p I just go down the aisles in the store, reading labels and getting angry. I just want to throw the stuff....almost nothing I can eat and nothing I WANT TO eat! Meh! All of it contains something my body sees as a poison. The things I CAN have and are tasty cost a hell of a lot. Organic food is all I can eat, and it costs 4X what regular stuff does. I don't understand that! Everywhere I look are chemicals, hidden fake/diet sugars, preservatives, etc! Just lately I found the low sodium shredded cheese I thought was safe has ANTIFUNGALS in it! Geez! I know I shouldn't get angry (it makes me worse), but I can't help it. I want to throw things.

5. pardonme

pardonme Guest

6. AnneT

AnneT New Member

Anyone else have ideas to help low appetite after vertigo attacks?

I'm trying very dilute Gatorade, small bites of bland food whenever I can, Ginger, fennel, mint tea.

7. AnneT

AnneT New Member

Ativan is helping my appetite somewhat... but still struggling. I guess the low appetite is symptom of anxiety/depression. I'd rather be fat and jolly.

8. Boomer Ann

Boomer Ann Even Baby-Boehner has nothing on me....

I'm sure there will be many nay-sayers on this, but my appetite is regulated by the consumption of cannabis. There are days that I will go into the kitchen and stare at all the good food in the fridge and cupboards and not feel like eating any of it, for the idea of eating makes me nauseous. But I have also discovered a CONNECTION between eating poorly, insufficiently, or not at all...and getting lightheaded, dizzy, and sometimes full vertigo.

I have hypoglycemia...am pre-diabetic...and MUST EAT at regular intervals or else my ENS (Enteric Nervous System, located in the gut) starts its windup pitch, which then activates my CNS (Central Nervous System, in the brain and spinal cord), and since I'm hypoglycemic, if I DON'T EAT, I get vertigo like crazy.

Enter cannabis. I don't work because I can't; too much mental fatigue, hyperacusis and MM, sensitive to changes in the barometer (look out San Diego, I may be moving there soon...).

So when my appetite takes a hike, I smoke a bowl. And within minutes, I'm hungry and am completely able to prepare a delicious, nutritious meal.

And thereby, avoid the light headedness, dizzyness, and vertigo symptoms.

But of course, we all know it's not just food or the lack of it that triggers symptoms. This is just my own way of handling the "no appetite" issue. I'm completely legal, by the way. Cannabis should be legal everywhere; it's very helpful at times. :)

9. daBronx

daBronx New Member

On occasion I will drink a protein drink instead of having regular food.I'm not pre-diabetic like you are.The last time I had my sugar checked it was 99.But you might want to check out 'Ensure',the next time you go to your pharmacy.