Pondering the Yonder (it's the yeast we can do)

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Papajoe, Dec 2, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Tom47

Tom47 New Member

PJ, have you ever had floaters?

2. earshurt

earshurt New Member

Fermented cabbage is also a good probiotic. Some other veggies too.

3. Papajoe

Papajoe Myco-dental Freak of Nature

Yep - that's the sauerkraut and kim chee

4. Papajoe

A few, but rarely.

5. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Thanks for the info Papajoe. Now I don't feel like such an idiot. And, lucky me, I eat yogurt!! Yay! Didn't know it was doing me that much good, it's just tasty to me. I knew I'd learn something if I just paid attention. I'm just so broke, it's not an easy thing to do (tee, hee)

6. earshurt

earshurt New Member

You don't have to be left out of the probiotic game Holly. Check this out.

Other things I have used and found effective. I started using Thyme and Oregano a while back. Both are well known pathogen killers. There are a lot of studies on this. I was not specifically targeting candida, I was targeting "whatever". I noticed a pretty good improvement. I had a lot more energy. I put a couple of teaspoons of each in a quart mason jar and added hot water. That makes a pretty strong mix. I drank a couple of swigs every now and then through the day.

How to make a cup of yogart on a limited budget. This is very inexpensive. Considering that you can get several teaspoons of juice from a lemon or orange this would amount to pennies per serving. Looks like they add yogart culture to the juice.

This site also talks a lot about how to make your own probiotics at home very cheaply using various common affordable items.... It says one teaspoon of fresh squeeze orange juice or lemon juice makes a whole cup of yogart after sitting a few hours. I think I may start doing this myself.

http://www.lexiyoga.com/lemon-garlic-bee-pollen

7. jesseandalison

jesseandalison New Member

great site thanks!

8. earshurt

earshurt New Member

Hang on a minute though. If this is true that yogart turns into galactose sugar then it would feed candida. I have not seen science on it though. This site seems thorough, and this person has some conflicting views about probiotics. I don't know where the truth shakes out though.

Candida's main food supply is sugar and all forms of it, including lactose in dairy products (except butter), honey, maple syrup, molasses, glucose, fructose, lactose, and sugar substitutes, i.e. NutraSweet, aspartame, saccharin, etc. – see list below. Eliminating sugar is the most important part of the Candida Program. Note: Even yogurt and kefir are not okay for candida sufferers even if they are fermented long enough to lower the lactose content, since lactose is changed into another sugar, called galactose, during the ferementation process.

http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/articles/intro2.php

9. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

earshurt - which person and what conflicting views are you talking about?

10. earshurt

earshurt New Member

the site healingnaturallybybee site contains a lot of information about probiotics. She has a take on probiotics I have never seen. I have not poured through the site and investigated her information to see how accurate it is. She seems to have very specific reasons for her words which makes me "think" that maybe she has done some homework on it but who knows fur sure. She has a lot links and she cites Dr. Crook some and he is supposed to be a candida man. I believe it would pay to spend some time at this site and try to determine the validity of her information.

11. earshurt

earshurt New Member

The reason I think it is important to get to the bottom of this probiotic/candida business is because if some of these things convert to sugar you may feed that candida. But on the other hand there may be reason why it is beneficial that outweighs the input of sugar. One tiny variable in these conversion processes between what the yogart is actually made of and what happens when it gets in the body can produce results other than what we believe they may produce. Glucose binds to galactose, etc....So to know for sure it might take some study.

I understand your point Intrepid and I am not saying that the yogart itself should or should not have sugar. Its what it converts into when it gets into the body, etc that I believe there may be questions about. Yogart culture, when mixed with certain substances to make the yogart, apparently may yield very different results too due to the fact that we are mixing different organisms.

12. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

As James Brown would put it; "uh, uh, uh, uh, uh - take it to the bridge!"

13. Papajoe

Conflicting opinions aside, I can say that probiotics have helped me. I hadn't though of using OJ or lemon juice (though candida diets will tell you stay away from fruit juices because they are high in sugar).

Since I was avoiding dairy, I started making my kefir with coconut milk. There's no reason you can't make yogurt with coconut milk either. Coconut milk is supposed to have anti-candida properties. I prefer kefir because it has a larger variety of the good bacteria and yeast (yes, kefir does contain yeasts, but not candida albicans). Tests done show that the combination of flora in kefir have a synergistic effect so that the combination does a lot more than the individual organisms (per a paper I read on PUBMED).

14. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

I didn't get it if you answered this question or not...?? Are you talking about Papajoe??!!!

15. Papajoe

IMHO, the reason to take probiotics is to balance the gut flora and heal the gut. If you've got good gut flora and your gut isn't damaged, then there is less reason to eat them. Though there may be components that turn into sugar, the benefits outweigh the potential candida feeding.

Eating non-sweetened does make more sense. I've posted about making yogurt/kefir with coconut milk. There is a brand of yogurt you can buy that's made with coconut milk, but it's expensive. That's why I make my own with canned coconut milk. My ENT/Allergy doc says coconut milk has other benefits as well.

But if you're going to make your own, I'll recommend kefir over yogurt.

16. Papajoe

I think he was talking about the person who wrote on the website he posted.

17. earshurt

earshurt New Member

I have no coflicting opinions with what Papajoe says. As Papajoe states, different things probiotic wise yield different results.

What I was questioning was the process of using fruits to make yogart. Fruits contain some sugars. Exactly what they may do in regards to candida I do not know. I wanted you to realize Holly, that using fruit, may or may not be a good idea. It may yield results you don't want, but I don't know for sure.

Also I am not sure about the efficacy in using yogart culture itself as a probiotic for this. Papajoe seems to have a different method and he is not using yogart culture with fruits I don't "think".

18. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Well, I'm eating some strawberry/mango right now and it'd damn good!! Somehow I dont think strawberries and mangos are bad for you - wadda ya think?

19. Papajoe

Strawberries were a trigger for me, but mango is approved for a candida diet (in small amounts).

20. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.