Olive Leaf Extract Suppresses Herpes Viruses

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by John of Ohio, Jan 17, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Papajoe

Papajoe Myco-dental Freak of Nature

John PM'd me about the anti-fungal properties, so I'm very interested in how this works for folks. There are issues with killing off a systemic infection quickly, and since I'm taking the big gun anti-fungal meds, I'm going to wait on trying this myself so I don't overdo it.

2. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Frank,

I've not heard of an olive leaf extract/lysine conflict. Let us know of the specifics on this.

--John of Ohio

3. Boomer Ann

Boomer Ann Even Baby-Boehner has nothing on me....

I noticed the other day that the lymph node just behind my left ear is enlarged and tender; I don't know if that's being caused by "junk" getting filtered out of my system and collecting there (thereby causing some inflammation or infection...) or what...all of the sinus cavities on the left side of my face and head have felt congested as well. I've been treating this by doing steam inhalations of some vicks vaporub with eucalyptus menthol and camphor, which opens things up and lets it drain (I soak tissues); plus I have some Rx allergy and asthma meds. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow to address other issues but will bring up the subject of this swollen node, especially since it's located so close to my affected ear.

I bet she'll offer to put me on antibiotics, but what I'd rather have her do is run some lab tests...given that swollen lymph nodes can be a sign of something more serious (lymphoma!). And it's only on the left side, not the right. I'm just hoping for an infection...ha ha ha!

I just bought some OL extract after looking at available options here in town at a few of the stores that offer it. The brand I got is "Oregon's Wild Harvest" whose label reads as follows:

Olive leaf (olea europaea) 310 mg
    Olive leaf powdered extract (olea europaea) standardized to 18% oleuropein 40 mg

I'm thinking my dose should be 2 of these, twice a day.

???  Would this be a good amount, or is it too much or too little for this application?  ???

Thanks much.

4. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

I can't make any pronouncements on what dosages should be. I suggest that you follow the label---which may not be enough to nail the fungi and viruses we are dealing with. So, perhaps you should start with a low dose, and see what happens. Then, after a while (How long? I don't know.) increase the dosages.

Two of those, twice a day does seem useful.

Keep us posted.

--John of Ohio

5. Wolfgang1756

Wolfgang1756 New Member

Bump. Any latest news on Olive Leaf Extract?

6. Running Dizzy

Running Dizzy New Member

Reporting in - I have been taking Olive Leaf Extract now for three days. 500 mgs twice daily and haven't noticed anything yet. I will keep taking them until the entire bottle (120) is consumed to see if they make a difference. I have my fingers crossed and hope they help me and other people as well.

7. dizzymisslizzy

dizzymisslizzy New Member

Same report as Running Dizzy~too soon to tell I think (12 days).
    Although, I consumed some things I really shouldn't have this week and have had some stressors in my life, and yet I don't feel NEARLY as lousy as I would have in the past...

8. Wolfgang1756

Wolfgang1756 New Member

I have been having Olive Leaf Exract for 5 days now. Nothing yet, but sadly no Herxheimer effect either, so maybe it is not working for me...

Running Dizzy and dissymisslizzy, did you have any Herxheimer effects yet?

9. Papajoe

Papajoe Myco-dental Freak of Nature

Herxheimer effects are individual. Even with diet changes and Nystatin, I didn't have any significant Herx effects until after I started systemic anti-fungals. On the other hand, I know someone who is having Herx effects from simply changing their diet and not from any medication.

So the presence or absence of Herxheimer Reaction based on supplements isn't really a good measuring stick.

The other thing to consider is that things like OLE and coconut oil & the dozens of other natural substances with anti-fungal properties may not be strong enough to reverse a systemic fungal problem. Where things like OLE & the others shine is when you've started a candida diet. The OLE & other supplements will have a better effect.

For those who have tried JOH but haven't seen an improvement, it may be that an active infection is simply too strong to respond to the good things in JOH.

10. amberini

amberini New Member

FWIW, the dosages I am reading about are pretty low and could possibly be the reason no one is reporting herxing.

From my own research, people who are treating for instance EBV, Epstein Barr, are taking
    much higher dosages several times a day AND getting a herx, so they know they are targeting and killing organisms.

11. Irelandman

Irelandman Guest

john of ohio, do you remember i asked you about taking lysine with olive leaf extract about 6 months ago? there was a poster who contributed to the thread stating that it was bad to take both together. i think it was confussednannoyed.
    I took olive leaf extract when i was really bad last year, but it didnt make much difference, although i stopped after 2 weeks when i read the post about lysine conflicting with olive leaf extract.
    i might start using it again.

12. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Yes, it appears that olive leaf extract disables lysine's ability to nail herpes viruses. I'll have to revise the recommendation to take both at the same time. Apparently, when taking olive leaf extract, the lysine no longer works well against herpes viruses, as described in this 1997 posting
    http://www.dynamicchiropractic.com/mpacms/dc/article.php?id=38381

--John of Ohio

13. Running Dizzy

Running Dizzy New Member

I have not noticed a Herxheimer effect by taking this supplement so far.

14. dizzymisslizzy

Nor have I. Although I'd love the OLE to reduce MM symptoms, it was the claim that OLE can help with energy levels that intrigued me. Fatigue dogs me almost as much as the imbalances.

I am a little concerned now that OLE may be contradicting the L-Lysine. I've been doing MOST of the JOH components since Nov. and was planning to stay with it at least 6 mos. before I move onto something else (if needed, of course!).

Wish I had bought that crystal ball I saw at a rummage sale last summer...

15. chrisj

chrisj Guest

Though the article seems to suggest that you could take OLE and lysine at different times of the day. I've just bought a jar of OLE capsules, and I think I may still try them.....

16. dizzymisslizzy

I just read the article and it did indicate taking OLE a different time from the l-lysine would be fine. However, it also said it's best taken one hour away from food and other supplements, yet my bottle says "with water at mealtimes".

Is there a doctor in the house!!!!!!!!!!

17. jaypr

jaypr New Member

My bottle also says with food however I have read several articles on OLE and they all say in between meals.

The article referred to by JOH happily says that llysine and OLE can be taken the same day but at different times. I have been taking llysine for 20 months with great success.

Started OLE a week ago and after two days did have an upset stomach, but was told to expect this "die off " so went off them for two days and now back on them.

Have noticed a couple of other things, increased energy, not dramatic but a definate change and several headaches. I rarely get a headache. I see these reactions as good news as the ole is upsetting the parasites within my system. So as suggested I am drinking more fluids to flush them out.
    Would be good to build on the great results I have had from llysine.

Frank

18. dizzymisslizzy

Hi Frank!
    What have you been doing regarding when you take OLE-with or without food?
    I have been taking it WITH meals because of the bottle directions, but also because I don't want to mix it with the lysine (always without food). I sure hope it's worth all the effort (and pill-scheduling!).

thanks-
    Deb

19. jaypr

jaypr New Member

Hi Deb

Without food

I have been taking the llysine first thing at about 7am 20 mins before breakfast, the first of two OLE capsules at about 10am. Llysine at about 12 noon before lunch and the second of the OLE capsules about 3.30pm. Final llysine before I go to bed.

Throw in vitamin b & d first thing and 4 x 1000mg vitamin c.

It's true fitting in tablets during the day is a problem but worth it. I will increase the OLE to 3 x 500mg per day. Got to remember to drink plenty of water and dont forget to eat and of course try to earn a living.

I will have to get up earlier, I think I'll get up before I go to bed.

Frank

20. Boomer Ann

Boomer Ann Even Baby-Boehner has nothing on me....

Wow, great article, it pulled a lot of things together for me. A better understanding of "die off" for example.

Thanks for sharing that. Very helpful!

I am comparing today with yesterday; there is no comparison. :p Yesterday, I was sick and frustrated and whiny (sorry). I felt absolutely awful and certain something had gone wrong....

Today, things have calmed down a lot, tinnitus is quieter than it has been in weeks, and lord have mercy, my mental capacity has again returned. ;D

That's the one thing I just can't live without.