Off Beat Movies

Discussion in 'Your Fun 'n Games Room' started by wlyeager, Sep 22, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. wlyeager

wlyeager Fly fishing is good for the soul

What is your all-time favorite movie that was probably not a big hit at the box office? Why? Here's mine:

Harold and Maude. It had a great sound track by Cat Stevens (before he decided music was evil) and some very quirky characters. Ruth Gordon was great.

Lee

2. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Finnegan Begin Again, starring mary tyler moore and robert preston. it's only on tape...wish it was on DVD. It's a hilarous, heart-twanging "August-December" romance.

http://www.amazon.com/Finnegan-Begin-Again-Tyler-Moore/dp/6303398464

3. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Here's another for you.....I watched the whole thing with my mouth hanging open.

http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/mirrormask/

I still want to get that girl's hair out of her face. Get me the scissors.

4. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Amelie....

A funny and touching story about a lonely French girl who decides to make people happy by making their dreams come true.....very off-beat...gorgeous photography...great characters.

(In French, with English subtitles)

5. NanKelly

NanKelly Go Dawgs!!!

These are two of my all time favorites

Raising Arizona ::)
    Best In Show :D

6. Bergie

Bergie New Member

A Man Called Horse

Fahrenheit 451

the Notebook

7. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

I wasn't sure this would be considered "off beat" so I looked it up on Google and it is.

Life as a House - Some very strange people and relationships, but such a great story about life and death.

8. thornapple

thornapple New Member

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qit3ALTelOo

9. gramalana

gramalana New Member

I liked that movie myself( A Man Called Horse) and it was a great story! But I guess The Life of James Dean was also one of my Favorites!

10. Peanut Brittle

Peanut Brittle My Twerple Has My Heart

I loved "Life as a House."

also "Harold and Maude."

I think my favorite off-beat one is, "Stranger Than Paradise." Very bare-bones, dry, outrageously funny. I can't even recall who made the film.

also... "The Return of Martin Guere." A French film that I think inspired "Somersby." And "Truly, Madly, Deeply" that inspired "Ghost."

oh, no... now I'm in trouble. I've successfully stayed away from the Fun and Games Room since it became its own category... I guess we can say goodbye to the laundry and dusting today...

11. FreshFaith

FreshFaith Ride to live. Live to ride.

hmmm...off beat movies.. i guess the only one i know is the one that plays in my head all the time!!!! LOL

12. joy

joy New Member

"Jane Austen's Mafia" w/Jay Mohr & Billy Burke
    "Idiocrisy" w/Luke Wilson
    All of the Brady Bunch Movies w/Gary Cole & Shelley Long
    ;D

13. EARINGER

EARINGER Pug-lover /M-C mechanic/carpenter/E-Bayer

Silent Running (1972) - (Sci-Fi) Bruce Dern as caretaker for hydroponic garden in space .