OCTOBER 2006 - Don't Sweat The Small Stuff!!

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by dizzjo, Oct 1, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. jrw

jrw New Member

So, Joyce, you really wanted to get into doll houses. Here I always wanted to get a toy train and planned on getting one for my son. Ends up he just didn't like trains so we never got one. I used to play with my brother's Lionel train as a youngster, but it was his and I couldn't reroute track or really get into it 'cause I was his little sister. Just got to build the little houses around the track and load/unload the cars. Guess I wanted to as an adult. Maybe I ought to look into our toy modelling train club in town. They've got a real set-up at the local museum.

Volunteering is certainly a way to stay socially active, chatting with other volunteers and finding out what's going on in town. Just getting out of the house, getting dressed up a bit, being presentable to the outside world, it all helps to keep those of us with reclusive tendencies to stay in contact.

Looks like we're bringing some of my mom's stuff to my oldest daughter this weekend. Boy, I'm getting to be a real gadabout. ;) My dad used to take the old Singer treadle sewing machines and convert them into lamps. I've got 2 of them and now my daughter will have one. They've got the old treadle wrought iron base for a stand and the old lamp mounted on a solid wood base for the lamp. My dad did a really nice job on these, even getting the chrome parts rechromed and keeping the original decal work. The one my daughter is getting had a badly delaminated top so he made a marble top for the base. It's quite heavy as you can imagine, and those lamps weigh quite a bit, too.

Got my dog petting yesterday. Always helps to get a dose of fuzzy pet! :) A friend has a dog that is always good to visit. And now the velcro cat is on my lap while I type. It's the newer cat - Sheba. I can't go anywhere in the house, and I mean anywhere, without her following. She's really soft and fuzzy. :)

Take care, everyone. Oh, Linda, every time I sit down to watch the Tigers play the Cardinals I think of you watching the same game over there in California.

2. cdedie

cdedie Designed by DizzyNBlue

Hi ya'll. Just checking in to say hi and see what's going on. Gonna try to help Hubbie today (sorting receipts for client :p) and will see what else the day brings.

Hope all are feeling better and happy!

3. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Dang, Rae Nell! So sorry to hear about the hip incident :eek: Hope you feel better soon!

cdedie - I had to laugh about you "filling the deer feeder"...around our neck of the woods, that's a huge no-no. I was clueless when I first got to the mountains...I went on and on about the beautiful deer (I had been feeding them - a lot), and the locals would just give me the stink-eye...apparently they are more known for being pests than for being beautiful animals....well - who knew???? ::)

Linda - I don't miss living in the Bay Area a bit! (Used to commute from San Jose to Oakland) Rush hour traffic here is like 25 cars at the stop light!!! :D

Joyce - Love those Painted Ladies! Be careful of the rubber band toys....Lucy used to EAT rubber bands, and of course, they never digested, so I got to see them in, well...you know... :p Hey, I have this weird cramp in my hip muscle, too! I call it my "CURVES Injury" because that's where it started. Now I can't sit for very long without it cramping up. Yikes! As for not keeping up with old friends, I just made contact a few weeks ago with friend I thought I had lost. I finally found out where she worked, left a note for her, and she called me back. She had gotten married, and is now home on medical leave. I'll go see her after lunch.

jrw - those Singer sewing machine lamps sound wonderful! I used to have my Nana's old machine until my aunt showed up one day and demanded it. :-[

Hi Dixie Chick, Wendy, Bergie, Tizzy, jill, Maggie, Sami, Richard, and....OMG, did I miss anybody? Does anyone know how to go back and see the whole thread when they are in the middle of a reply? We used to be able to do that...

Have a great day in the neighborhood, everyone!!!

xoxoxoxoxo

deercharmer

4. dizzjo

dizzjo One day at a time & baby steps!

Hey Deercharmer - your ??
    If you are doing a quick reply, you can see back a few when you do a preview.
    If you are just replying, you can only go back so far and can't go beyond the page you are on and that is when I have to open another window (in otherwords open your Internet Explorer with another window and that is the only way I can do it, unless someone knows of a better way.

I keep an eye on her - so far she hasn't tried to eat one. She keeps finding them and I think hubby gives them to her. We kept her away from them for a while.

I have three books on them. I was really obsessive there for a while. I think every Victorian house should be a painted lady. There is just something about those houses that have always intrigued me. One of my doll houses is a Tudor style.

```````
    jrw
    You should do what your heart tells you to do. That is what got me going. I always wanted a doll house when I was a kid but never got one and vowed I would one day make my own and found out that there are a lot of miniature and doll house enthusiasts in the area and they have an exhibit every year. It is quite an event.

My hubby loved the old Lionel models too and got himself one and also for our grandson. When we lived in VA he had the whole set up in the garage. He also took over the house with slot cars for a while but gave them to a grandson too. They were fun.

There is quite a group of men who still do them - complete with the caps for the RR engineer. We have gone to several of the shows when they open to the public and one of the local hobby shops has a display open all the time - it draws a lot of attention.

:D :D :D

5. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Joyce - No, my commute is typically 10 minutes. I think yesterday there must have been a stall or accident in the tube I travel through. I ended up turning around, crossing town, going over a bridge, and then taking the freeway. But I'm noticing the commute in general is getting worse and worse. What used to take me 10 minutes now takes me 1/2 hour when the traffic is not jammed up for some reason.

JRW - Awww, thanks. I am watching the games, when they aren't rained out :D.

6. cdedie

Deercharmer the "filling the deer feeder" is for those men who hunt. :-\ It throws out corn a couple of times a day (am and pm). That way the deer get use to it so the guys can shoot them! ::) I can shoot very well (or use to) but do not hunt. I like the skeet or targets myself. :D

Yes people love the pretty deer until they come in the garden and eat the plants and tear stuff up - then it's horrible deer. LOL Can't please everyone.

Hey Linda that is one reason (traffic) I never wanted to live in Calif. My big city has little traffic - mostly. But now that I don't drive - I just don't like the car. LOL Smoother commutes for ya luv! ;D

7. cowcollector

cowcollector Don't hug a tree, hug a cow!!

thanks for the well wishes guys, i am doing much better. :)

8. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Carol - I have to admit I am much better than I used to be. At first, when we were out driving near the mountain house, and we'd see a deer lying by the side of the road, I'd tell DH "Oh! Go back! See if you can do CPR!!! We need to get that poor animal to the vet!!!" To which, of course, he would roll his eyes, pat me on the leg, and keep on driving.....

And I came to learn that feeding the deer only brought out the worst in them....they would fight each other over the tiniest morsel of food, and there always had to be at least one bully in the crowd who would paw and head butt the smaller ones out of the way...

One time I went out to get something out of the truck, and as I was walking back up the driveway, I heard something behind me. I turned around, and there must have been 14 or 15 deer walking behind me, just like sheep! "Shoo! Go home!" I said, but they didn't budge. Finally I stomped my feet and made a bunch of noises and they scattered....

It took me a long time to realize that they are wild animals, not pets...and that I need to keep my distance. I think that really hit home when the mountain lion killed one just a few hundred feet up the hill from our house. I was pretty philosophical about that - circle of life, etc., until what was left of the carcass began to smell..... :eek: If it was really the circle of life, then the mountain lion should have eaten the whole thing!!! ::)

9. NurseMom

NurseMom New Member

[​IMG]

I haven't been on this side of the fence for awhile and I miss you all. Life has just been so busy for me lately and I'm working on getting things on track in my life and that certainly has been a challenge.

I can't believe next week is Halloween and the beginning of November.... made me start thinking of Christmas shopping and what gifts I need to get. I hate waiting till the last minute and wouldn't even attempt to go in the mall during the rush. I'm going to venture out to the mall (our one here is huge) no matter how much I hate it sometime over the next few weeks.

I have a nice lil short overnight trip planned for tonight and am ready to leave now. Nothing sounds better than eating at a favorite restaurant and taking a nice swim in the hotels pool followed by soaking in the hot tub. Ah relaxation and hopefully a wonderful nights rest!

Joyce, I didn't get on this thread for your b-day, but did post in the b-day thread. I'm so glad you were able to enjoy your special day!

Deercharmer and Carol-- I have to laugh everytime I think of deer hunting. It took hubby forever to convince me that it truly is necessary.... that there is an over population of them and if some were not hunted, than many more would starve. The only thing I can see is Bambi when I look at those beautiful creatures and at a wildlife park that I used to frequent, I loved petting them and letting them eat from my hands. But I guess I do understand the purpose... and I have to admit that deer jerky does taste pretty darn good.

[​IMG] This is for you RaeNell darlin. Glad you are feeling better today, don't let that personal trainer over work ya today. Take it easy. Luv ya friend! I will come crying to you soon I'm sure, I called the gym I belong to today-- and will probably start with a personal trainer in two weeks (what am I ever thinking?!)

Dixie- I understand what you mean by not getting used to the Menieres thing.... I thought I was, but truly-- I realize I was running from the reality of it instead of truly facing it head on. It's not something that is that easy to adjust to. Nothing is, when it can affect our lives like Menieres can.

Dear Maggie- thanks for the well wishes.... you know I'm strong and I'm going to fight to get me back!!!
    You are such a precious friend.... love our chats!

Linda- I can't imagine that kind of traffic right now, I don't have the patience to sit still that long! Yikes.... glad you are enjoying the remainder of your baseball season.... now it's almost time for movie season to begin ;)

JRW- I think pets help keep us young, although sometimes my three can really get on my nerves at times.... they love so unconditionally and they are good therapy!

Wendy- Hope you are doing well, looks like life is quite busy for you right now.

Hope everyone else is doing well.... and I'll try to post a little more often.... but these next few months are really going to be busy and challenging for me- so I have to work on me first!!!! But I think of you all often! :-*

10. wendyd

wendyd New Member

Di, Hope you have a wonderful stay, and great swims and soaks in the hot tub!!!
    Hi to all of you at the fence, hope you have a great spin free day, not the babys birthday so far, maybe today! ;)
    It is supposed to be 55 and sunny today, looking forward to getting outside a bit.
    Hope you get to work and home quickly without traffic snarls, Linda, isn't traffic funny? there can be pockets where one can move right along and other days where traffic is at a complete stop, hope you find the magic time where it is moving well!
    Hope your back is better RaeNell!
    Deer charmer..... amazing what one can see living in the hills, you truly lead a "wild life" ;D
    Glad your tubes are cleaned out and working better for you jrw, we have cats too, although ours are outside cats, and we let the dog live in the house....neat how comforting and loyal pets are.
    Hope you and your husband have a wonderful weekend Joyce, as his surg date nears the tension mounts doesn't it?
    Hey Maggie, please soak up some of the warm summer sun for us...hope you are feeling good
    HI to Carol, you are so thoughtful, and I hope you get good mail soon from the SSA (that is who handles disabilities, right?)
    Lynn, we miss you, hope all is well, and so glad to hear Baby Quinn is on the mend!
    Hey Jill, hope you have a fun weekend, get some great downtime!
    Hi to everyone else I may have missed, Amanda, Richard, Joe, Sami, and all who stop at the fence, have a great day!
    Take care, off to work, and appts for my daughter. Hope hope everyone has a sunny day regardless of the weather!

11. dizzjo

Friday 27 October 2006

Daily compassion contributes to our own happiness. With every gesture of kindness and every patient response, we are the beneficiary of a more peaceful heart.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
    Good morning to you all. Well hubby went early to vote since he will probably be incapacitated when the event comes. We have a list of things to get finished before surgery and that was one of them.

He is the driver in the family and I just will NOT be driving somewhere every day for the 6 weeks he will be restricted. So it is prepare now for what's ahead. All the little things. I will still have errands to run, but hopefully not too many. I don't even enjoy driving and only do it from the need to.

I hope you are all doing well today. My cat nudged me from bed again - she sits on a pile of books and nudges me with her foot and little mewing noise close to my ear. Then she know I need my glasses and tries to pick them up and give them for me and in the process generall knocks a book or two from the night stand and drops the glasses. She really tries to be helpful and it is so cute or I would get upset with her.

Today is my hair day - a little trim and color to freshen things up a little and make me feel better.

You people coming here brighten my day and I always come away with a smile, even if the message is not directed to me. It is nice to know what people are doing to cope, live a good life and deal with what life hands you. YOu endure all my typos and errors and it would be nice tohave you all for real neighbors.

I hope your day is good and filled with the wonder and joy of being alive and living on the planet. HUGS to you all.

12. Dixie Chick

Dixie Chick New Member

Just checking in today I have a doctors appointment and all that good stuff. I dont know what he is going to say after I get done with all the complaints I have going on with my body these days. My knees hurt and my back hurts. Well I just should say my whole body hurts. I think this getting old is getting to me. Well we will see what he has in store for me .
    I hope every one has a great weekend. I have the whole day off so I get to play some. My daughter that lives close (the only one out of the 3 I have) she has the day off today also so we are going out to lunch and spend a little time together. It her anniversary on the 29th she has been married for 5 years now. But now little ones as yet. I told her she had to hurry up and have at least one before she is 60. LOL
    She is 31 now.
    Well got to run and get my shower and something to eat befor I have to leave for the doctors.
    Hugs to all

13. cowcollector

hi to everyone!!! have a good weekend ;)

14. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Stopping in to say hello and have a great weekend :) :)!!

Oh, got to work in 10 minutes today :D :D......I just never know from day to day :D!!

15. cdedie

Hi ya'll!
    In reference to deer hunting. Yes Di there is an overpopulation of deer. I have a friend who thinks hunting is horrible. We were trying to tell her about the overpopulation and that in some places the deer can starve to death. She didn't care - it was horrible. I asked her if she would rather that the deer suffer from starvation or have it be killed quickly. She would rather the deer suffer than be shot. ??? ??? OK Bambi - suffer. ::)

Di enjoy your outing! Sounds great. If you figure out how to get you back, PLEASE let me know!!![​IMG]

Joyce so next week is your Hubby's surgery? You both are in my prayers. I hope he gets relief and heals quickly.

Wendy thanks for the good thoughts. It's SSD. They are as fast as Molasses. :) Sure hope you get that grandbaby soon! They decide when they come. Maybe the baby wants to be a Halloween baby. LOL

Maggie my mate, hope you are feeling better!!!!! :-* I may not have drop attacks but I sure understand the disequilibrium!!! :p

DC I would love to be at your mountain home! It sounds so beautiful there. When we lived in Durango, Co. we had elk all around our house. It was neat!

Linda you fantastic person you! Glad you didn't have a "long" drive today! Hope you are all recovered from your bug. ;)

Hello to everyone else visiting the fence. Feeling a little nauseated so I'll go. Enjoy your weekend everyone!

16. cowcollector

carol,
    feel better sweetie, hope your weekend is spin free :)

17. jill

jill New Member

OMG you guys. I just posted a long hello and update and my session ran out!!!

I so don't need this right now so I'm off and will post more later.

Have a good day.

URGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

18. dizzjo

Saturday 28 October 2006

When you step back, slow down, and reflect on the miracle of life, on the gift of being here on this planet for this brief of time, it's easy to see how connected we really are to everything else.

I don't know about you folks, but when I look at a map with little dots on it representing large cities, small towns and highways connecting them all together, I realize just how much space we have on the planet that hasn't even been populated yet and how vast and large the world is and look again at the dot that represents the city I live in - I just think how I know so little about so much and how I am so small and insignificant in this big old world. At the same time, I know that God knows each of us personally and has counted the very hairs on our heads and that he loves each of us - it just blows me away.

I hope you all are having a good weekend. My hair has been lightened - I think she used a different color, but I can live with it. I also got a little trim and she said it was terribly dry so put some conditioner on it to help manage it a little more. I really hate fussing with my hair so much.

Dixie I hope your Dr. appt went well. ;)

Linda 10 minutes is a better commute. Are you happy to see baseball finally end. ???

Carol Thanks - he is looking forward to feeling better. He said that the general concensus from thos who had knee rep;acement surgery, is that they felt so much better, they wished they had not waited so long. :D

Jill When I had AOL - I would keep getting timed out. I used to have to write things in draft on the word processor and do a cout and paste to the topic. It would cut me out when reading e-mail too. If you are in a chat room, it won't happen so I created a chat room called beans and sat there while I opened another window to post and then it didn't happen. One time someone actually came into the beans place to chat - that was funny. I never got timed out while I sat in beans chat. :-\

Rae Nell Hope things are better for you. :-X

Marian You are missed. Please let us know you are okay. We love you.

Samicakes Hope you are taking good care of yourself.

Everyone Sending you good thoughts, good vibrations and buckes of HUGS for the weekend.
    B-r-r-r it is getting colder here and much wind.
    :D :D :D

19. cowcollector

hey guys,
    well i guess when it rains it pours, i posted another thread but i wanted to let
    my neighbors know. i got a letter about my mammogram today and it wasnt
    good. there is a small mass on the right breast, i am going to get aggressive
    and find out where i stand. send me your prayers.

rae nell

20. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

I miss baseball :'( :'( :'( -- can't wait until March/April!

Rae Nell sweetie - I'm hoping you're like me. I always have masses, then have to get a sonogram, and sometimes get it aspirated, then I'm fine. I hope and pray it's something simple like that!