OCTOBER 2006 - Don't Sweat The Small Stuff!!

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by dizzjo, Oct 1, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. dizzjo

dizzjo One day at a time & baby steps!

Sunday 1 October 2006

Having a favorite cause or charity can bring tremendous inner satisfaction to your life. It helps you feel connected to the world and as though you're doing something worthwhile for others. When you feel as though you are making a contribution - to whatever cause turns you on - it puts everything else in perspective.

That is so true and it isn't that you feel like you have really done anything spectacular at all, but I always feel like I am the one who has been blessed. They say if you want to feel better about yourself, do something for another and it really works.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
    New month - new beginnings! My daughter is there - they arrived safely to their new home for now. We went over yesterday morning to say good bye and they were still not totally loaded on. It was after noon before they finally took off with promises that my hubby would load the rest into his pickup and take them later - right down to a chest of frozen food. Good grief! They had another whole truck load of stuff to go!!

We kept their garage openers so we could get in and get the rest of the stuff out on Monday. Hubby has paid for a truck to drive out on tuesday and then he will fly back home that night. There was no way the small shortbed pickup he has would be able to take all they left behind.

He also went in and swept the place out and picked up the leftover junk that needed to be trashed. It was with a prayer and a tearful sendoff, just as I suspected. Cat, dog, two kids and daughter in the van and another kid and his father driving the U-haul. They made really good time and no trouble on the passes. My hubby will go by himself on Tuesday. I'll take the vacuum over later Monday and some cleaning rags and clean things up a little.

Wishing you all a happy and low stress month for October.
    Hugs to you all - enjoy the month and enjoy the day!
    :D

2. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

Good Morning lovely Lady! It is a time of transition for your family, eh? The birds have flow. Take care of your sweet good self and say hi to that fine man you married.

I had a favorite cause once. OVer time I ended up establishing an entire nonprofit agency and working 6o hours a week. It was wonderful. Being in service is good medicine for folks who feel poorly. It gets a person focused outside of the self. Something about helping others is wonderfully healing and rewarding.

3. Titus

Titus New Member

It was wonderful reading this positive thread while I look out at the lake with all its wildlife. I thank God today that I've met so many sweet people on this board.

Yes, Paul, I agree. And there are so many good causes to be pursued. So many folks in need.

Joyce....hope while you're cleaning the many great memories of your daughter and her kiddos will flood your mind.....with a promise of more to come.

Kim

4. wendyd

wendyd New Member

Mornin' and a happy October to all of you at the fence.
    So hard Joyce, but Titus is so right, may the house be filled with wonderful sounds of the laughter, and love your daughter and her family shared while there. Hope your husband has a safe trip there and back next week.
    You are right, the more we give, and more we get back, helping others is such a wonderful way to get out of the blues, and actually do some good in this world!
    Thanks for continuing this wonderful fence!
    Hope everyone is having a great day, thinking of you Lynn and that grandson, and his parents, and your whole family, hoping for a miracle.

5. jrw

jrw New Member

Joyce, you'll miss being near your daughter, but maybe the trips to see her will be all the more special. And the phone, emails, and ichat make "reaching out" so easy.

Your quote is sure on the mark. Volunteering on projects your heart is in can make life fulfilling. Then I saw Titus' post about enjoying the wildlife at the lake and all I could think of was - protect that lake! I'm on the board of directors for a land trust. What makes a person a believer in protecting land from development is seeing a special spot turn into a housing tract. And an easement on a piece of property can take several months at least to get into place. If you realize a developer is interested in a parcel, you probably don't have enough time to get an easement done and protect the property. We find that most of our easement holders are older people who have a large parcel that they've lived on or hunted on for years and want to protect it from being broken into small parcels, either by the next owner or their own kids. Guess I'll get off my grandstand box now.

My daughter has her appointment at the Diamond Headache Clinic on Friday. Hubby is driving to Chicago to get her to the appointment. We're also sending along a huge CARE package with all sorts of her favorite stuff in it.

My son is at a college visit this weekend; flew there on Thursday and expected back today. We got a call this morning saying our son had missed his shuttle back to the airport and did he have a cell phone? Holy smokes, we're thinking he's overslept, what's he going to do if he needs to catch a different flight, he has no charge card, etc . . . A couple of hours later we called the room he was staying in and found out he had left the room early. Looks like he just didn't check in at the shuttle site. So far no other calls, not even one from the university saying they'd found him. Crazy start to our Sunday.

Well, the sun is shining and it's suppose to get to 70° today. So it's an outside day for us. Enjoy your Sunday, folks.

6. wendyd

wendyd New Member

jrw, Wasn't it so much easier when they were two???
    hope he made his flight and all is well, good luck to your daughter this week too.

7. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

Amen, to that.

In a way I think that this site has become my favorite cause. I certainly get satisfaction in trying to help all the newbies even if I am not always on the mark. I imagine you feel the same way or you would not have kept posting all these years.

I thought that I would tell you that I’ve made yet another switch to my name. I’ve gone from being Oscar to being Wobbles. I like the name Wobbles because it describes my meanderings so well. I also like the name Oscar, but I felt too many people actually thought that my name was Oscar. I felt a bit like an innocent imposter. Of course, I could have used the name Joe but I kept thinking about all the other dizzy Joe’s; I felt I could have been claiming turf not mine. In the end I decided on a name that fit the site and has amusing overtones, at least to my sense of humour.

Be well, Joyce.

Joe

8. Sami

Sami New Member

(Q)Sunday 1 October 2006

Having a favorite cause or charity can bring tremendous inner satisfaction to your life. It helps you feel connected to the world and as though you're doing something worthwhile for others. When you feel as though you are making a contribution - to whatever cause turns you on - it puts everything else in perspective. (UQ)......

Thanks DJ for the thought for the day. I find that very true. I love doing for others, always have. It is good for the soul! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well it is the start of a new month.....so will post while I can! ;D I hope October will be a good month for everyone. I would like to say thank you to those that have posted to me. I have not been on the computer for several days, except to check emails and PM's. I also read DJ's topic, and thanks DJ,, CC, Linda and Carol for your post. I love you guys, and always enjoy seeing your special little comments to me. Thanks bunches, and also for the bunches of hugs. :D

Would also like to thank those that have sent emails and PM's. Word got out that I have been having a bad time for a few weeks. I am still dealing with some of that.....but I will be fine.....and the emails and PM's just made my day, and was such a pick me up. Many hugs to you all. jayC, Gardenfish, Linda, CC, and Spinner,.....I found the Sami topic in the Writers Den.....and yes, it made me cry as well as laugh. Thank you so much. I shall reply there later. Hugs to you guys! :)
    CC, I am sorry about Cody, and my prayers to you,and to all of the family members. :'(

Well DJ, I know that it was hard for you and Lynn to say goodbye to your daughter and her family. Maybe like you said, another family member will step up to offer the holiday gatherings for you guys, I sure hope so. I'm happy that all went well for the trip for them. Hubby will be at a loss with the daughter being gone, huh? It will all work out for the best.....just takes time. I know this from my own family. Hang in there, and know that we all love ya! :-*

Good to see many of the folks are making it back onto the site again. You DJ, have been here for almost six years and I have been here for five years this month, so we have seen this several times, but a couple of the site is down, was just that, down, and did not take all of the topics with the crash, but it all works out. A lot of good topics were lost that had great information in them, maybe some will repost them. My first years on the site was a lot of LR postings, and it had such great topics from others that I learned a lot from, as well as a lot of my own. I hope the newbies will be able to find that type of infor again soon. What a wealth of info. we had :eek:.....Also many thanks to Ray for getting us up and going again. ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello to all of you that pop in and out here at DJ's Corner. Good to see Richard and Gardenfish here again. Good to see you all back. :) Thanks GF.....you are a heart, you are, and so are you Spinner! :-*

I hope you all have a wonderful Sunday.....and here's hoping you all have that, I feel good feeling.....and hope that it will last for awhile. Good thoughts to you all.

Love and hugs.....
    Sami..... :-*

9. Pluto

Pluto New Member

Hey peoples.........
    Just watching some football here, my Chiefs whooping up on the 49ers at the moment.
    And in my thoughts, Lynn, Dizzynana, her little newborn grandson who was born last night with a major defect in his heart.
    I hope, I pray, for the best, the very best, for her family and the little guy. Lynn, if you read here, just know we hope for
    the best for you and your family. God bless.
    Richard

10. wendyd

wendyd New Member

So true Richard, hoping for a miracle for that little guy. He has been present in my thoughts since I read the post. We had a 28 week old preemie, (my youngest grandson), and I can begin to relate to the fear and pain that shouldn't be associated with a birth.

On a lighter note to Joe, I don't know if you have ever seen the old commercial for a kids toy called weebles....the song went "weebles wobble but they don't fall down".... does your name perhaps mean that 'wobbles weeble but they seldom fall down' ::)

11. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Hellooooooooo neighbors!!!

Just sitting here, finishing the Sunday paper, reflecting on a great weekend....all the kids were here yesterday: three sons, three DILs, and five grandkids. (It was a joint birthday celebration for the sons since we didn't do anything special on their birthdays this summer.)

It's a good feeling, since the get-togethers at our house are the only times they are all together under one roof. I know they miss that, and I'm happy we can provide it. So Friday was all about cleaning the house, yesterday was filled with kids and grandkids, and this morning at 5 am DH drove youngest son to the airport for a flight to the east coast (business meeting). DIL and two grandbabies went to church with us, then took off for home in the mountains.

Today is the first rain of the season...just a few drops, but the AC is officially turned off in our house! :D All the windows are open, the smell is so fresh, and the house is so quiet!!!

dj - your description of your daughter's leaving sounds just like when our middle son and DIL and grandson packed up and moved to Texas. Much scurrying and last minute packing (and junk left behind) and tears and waves as they drove off...but guess what? They came home. And now they live five minutes away. You just never know.

Gardenfish - you have no idea how good it makes me feel to see you posting so frequently since the lastest crash. It means you are feeling good, and that makes me smile.

Titus - If you're like me, gazing at nature and wildlife is great therapy. I think that technology draws us away from such miracles; taking the time to really see the beautiful things in front of us bring us back.

jrw - good news about your daughter's appointment, hope she is able to find some relief soon. Ah, sons....hope he had a good visit at the college.

Wobbles - you are another person who has been posting frequently, and that does my heart good, for you must be feeling better as well. May it last indefinitely!

Hi to Wendy, Sami, Pluto and any others who may be reading this!!!

xoxoxo

deercharmer

12. dizzjo

Oh my goodness - you certainly all have been busy while I was looking the other way. :eek: :eek:

I should be sure and put my disclaimer for the thought in bold. That, as most of you know, comes fromt he page-a day-calendar by Richard Carlson who wrote the don't Sweat the Small Stuff books. The unbolded thoughts following are my own. I don't want to take credit for something I didn't say. I know through the years I have always heard that the best way to get out of depression of become self centered is to do something for others. I see you all agree with that.

I am glad you all forgive me all the typos I make. ::)

Paul It is so good to see you post here again. Yes, the birds have flown. the baby bird. She was born in Virginia and we lived in North Carolina for three years after her birth and then moved to Idaho. She remember nothing about anyplace but Idaho. They have visited W Washington many times through the years and decided finally that it was where they wanted to live. We visit often enough that it won't seem too far to include them in the frequent visits we make there. That is where I am from and where much of my family still lives so that is nice.

Kim That is so sweet of you to stop in here. We do have good memories of visits to her house but I haven't cleaned it before. She had the ultimate kitchen to die for. That part I loved the most. I don't think while I clean that i will be thinking fondly of visits there so much as just eager to get 'er done (the cleaning, I mean) She has central vac - if I know how to work it - maybe I will just take my own vac just in case. LOL :D
    Like yourself, I have met and made so many friends here that I am always thankful to be here.

Wendy I am so glad you have returned here and that your lecture went well. I used to have to teach a class that always terrified me until I finally realized that they were really just all my friends. I got so I loved the preparation and the responses that came from others and it gave us a chance to exchange ideas.

jrw I know you will be happy when your daughter finally has her visit at the clinic. We never really stop worrying about our children even after they grow up, have children of their own and they have children. I thought having grown up kids would be a piece of cake. It isn't. I wish your hubby a safe trip and blessing on his head for being able to take her where she needs to be. I also hpe they get to the root of her problems so she can live comfortably again.

Joe Bless you for coming here. What a surprise! You have morphed again - I have such a hard time keeping up with you. Homer, Oscar, Joe, Wobbles - what next?? I enjoy coming here for the same reasons. Online friend have replaced some of the real life one. I like to think or believe that something I say will mean something to someone else where they make the connection. I wanted to just be here for support. I came for support and stayed for the friendships. For a fellow who wobbles about - you are a steady souce of friendship and encouragement to others. You are a good friend. ;)

Samicakes I still owe you a letter - I am slacking off. Been so darn busy and this next week looks to be full of busy ness too. I fear this month will fly until the time hubby has his knee replacement surgery. September went too fast for me.
    Me thinks this move of our youngest daughter will be hard on "Dad" and daughter. She was my baby and because he missed so much with others growing up, I involved him more. She sat by Dad at dinner when a tot in the high chair so he could feed her. I felt he needed more involvement. A really tight bond was formed between them while he attended her needs. Hubby was deployed many times during military service the first 20 years we were married. Now, there he is on Tuesdays watching our son bowl and then on Thursdays watching a daughter bowl. He used to bowl with both of them on a team till the surgery thing came up. They love him being there for them. He has more than made up for what he missed when he was gone. Yep - he will miss this one being gone for certain.

Richard I am glad you mentiond Lynn's grandson here. We all are going to keep them all in our prayers. these little newborns, so tiny and helpless and struggling to stay alive are hearbreaking and a strain on the family. This is BIG stuff and I know we are all pulling for the little fellow and like someone mentioned - technology today surpasses what we once had way back when. We still believe in miracles. Good to see you here on the first day of the month. :D

deercharmer I asked if we couldn't have a prayer before they drove out the driveway. We all assembled in the family room of the empty house and my daughter asked her father to offer the prayer. It was very hard for him to get through it and a lump formed in my throat as I choked back the tears, and when he was done, our daughter was crying, and the grandson and granddaughter too. It was very quiet and then as things sunk in we kissed wet cheeks good bye and they drove out the drive way. We were last to drive off and as we passed them moving into the turn lane, we threw kisses and waved and yelled "I love you's" out the window. We took a deep breath and started talking about the trip hubby would make with truck full of leftovers on Tuesday and the visit we will make on the 13th & 14th.
    It is never easy saying good-bye. we , in our family, do what one of my grandmothers called a Scandinavian farewell - stand and wave until they are completely out of sight and that is what we do. :D :D

Well folks - hubby and I both have Dr. appts tomorrow and then tuesday I have audiologist visit (and a hubby to send off and a house to clean) and Wed is volunteer day and thursday a trip to the AFB for meds and I hope that is all. I hope I have time to drop in for a few. Keep the benches warm here in the garden and the lemonade poured and the talk convivial. I love you all lots. Life is good!

dizzjo :D :D :D :-* :-* :-*

13. cowcollector

cowcollector Don't hug a tree, hug a cow!!

well the weekend is about over.
    joyce, been thinking of you and your hubby and hope the move goes well with the kids.
    much love to all.
    i guess miss linda is happy in anaheim, happy early birthday Darlin!!!

14. dizzjo

Monday 2 October 2006

Yom Kippur​

Becoming overwhelmed doesn't happen overnight. Instead it sneaks up on us. A few committments and obligations turn into dozens.

And that is why I keep less involved then I have in the past in things I do voluntarily. I found myself overwhelmed, over committed and tired of it all. We each have to limit ourselves in what we would like to do vs what we actually are capable of.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
    Happy Birthday to Linda!!
    Have a great day!
    ``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
    Rae Nell Thank you for your good thoughts and well wishes for hubbys trip. he will make this one alone. As much as I would like to make this trip this soon, I am already committed to one in the middle of the month and hate them enough to know once is enough.
    He will fly back and that will be cheaper, in the long run than driving both ways.

I am up early today. I have been awake since 3 AM not sure why but couldn't sleep so got up to eat breakfast and maybe will try to sleep after I post here.

Hope all goes well for all of you in the new month, new week and new day. :D

15. jill

jill New Member

OMG...I can't keep up with your guys!! Only got a minute here.

Joyce...WOW....early bird gets the worm!! I've been up early lately too!! many differetn reasons I think for me.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO LINDA!!!!!

I'll try to catch up later in the week. Off to work!!

Ta Ta

16. NurseMom

NurseMom New Member

------------------

17. cowcollector

cowcollector Don't hug a tree, hug a cow!!

Welcome to Monday!!!

Happy Birthday Again Miss Linda!!!

You are so special, you got 2 Birthday threads!!!!

18. wendyd

wendyd New Member

;D ;D ;D ;D Happy Birthday Linda!!! wasn't it great of the A's to win for your BD??? ::)
    and now they are going to play the Twins... right???

Hi to all of you here at the fence! Hope you have a great start for the week, and no dips, spins, or falls on Lindas' BD!

Di, my heart hurts for you. Remember that because you still bleed and hurt when cut means you are still that caring & wonderfully compassionate person you wish to be. When someone can't accept or gives back in a hurtful way, it is they who have the problems, not you, don't own their behavior, please, it isn't yours. I know, I have been there, and it hurts. Please take a moment and wrap yourself in the kindness and the love you show to others, feel that warmth and sit a moment and enjoy it, you deserve it! I wish you the best in your path to reclaim what you want for your life, and know you have the strength and will to acheive it, we never know the outcomes of our plans or what things will look like once we get there, but travelling that path is the best we can do, and enjoy the ride!!!

Hope everyone here has a great day! :D

19. Dixie Chick

Dixie Chick New Member

Want to say Happy Birthday to Linda
    I had a great weekend with my granddaughters didnt stay long but it still was a joy to see there sweet faces.
    I am so tired for this weekend dont want to do any thing today. I am suppose to have one little one today but not sure if I will or not. His mom was suppose to have her baby this weekend. Havent heard any thing yet. So still waiting for a call or something. If I dont hear something with in an hour I think I will give them a call.
    On Thursday she was dileated to 3 centermiters. So I am sure she had the little one this weekend.
    Well hope every one has a great day and hugs to all

20. Sami

Sami New Member

:-*~~~~~HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR LINDA~~~~~ :-*

Love and hugs.....
    Sami..... :-*