Novena prayer to St. Anthony

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Center' started by Gina05, Jun 1, 2012.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Loving God, I praise you for the faith that St. Anthony had in the resurrection of Christ and the comfort this brought him in times of trial.
    Help my faith so that I may find and preserve peace of mind in my present situation.
    Let me discern good from evil, truth from error, so that I may remain faithful to Christ.
    Give me confidence in Your Healing Grace in myself and in all of my relationships.

AMEN

2. carolyn33

carolyn33 New Member

3. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Thank-you!

I just found out that a special friends first dog passed away two days ago from a snakebite.

RIP ~~~~~ZEUS

Amen

4. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

5. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

Prayer of Saint Francis of Assisi

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
    Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
    where there is injury,pardon;
    where there is doubt, faith;
    where there is despair, hope;
    where there is darkness, light;
    and where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
    to be consoled as to console;
    to be understood as to understand;
    to be loved as to love.
    For it is in giving that we receive;
    it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
    and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life. Amen

6. joy

joy New Member

I was gonna post that St. Francis prayer but you beat me to it!

7. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

My friend in Wisconsin and I talk daily (write) on computer and I had said something and she said it reminded her of that prayer. So I looked it up yesterday and liked it - I'd seen it before but never really read the words!

I don't pretend to understand all of the prayers to the Saints - but they are beautiful. Being raised non Catholic - I tend to view and think a lot alike... sorry for grammar - hard afternoon. I love - love Mother Angelica. I watch her on the television but she is on the internet - re-runs.

8. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

MotherbTeresa, and Mary Magdaline, those are great stories!

Hey, Alladin, I hope you're feeling better!
    I'm so glad that you're posting again, I really missed you here!

Love you, Gina

9. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

My friend in WI sent me this....

Sorting Out the Truth
    About St. Francis of Assisi

by Julie Zimmerman

The feast of St. Francis of Assisi, patron of peace, animals and the environment, will be celebrated Oct. 4. Francis’ legacy of peacemaking, his devotion to the gospel and his love for creation remain relevant today, 800 years after he lived. As his life of service and joy inspired followers, his greatness caused some stories about his work and life to be mythologized. This edition of "Friar Jack’s Catechism Quiz" takes a closer look at St. Francis of Assisi. We admit this is not a big part of most catechisms, but saints are, and what saint is more popular than St. Francis?

When did St. Francis say,
    "Preach the Gospel at all times. Use words if necessary"?

This is a great quote, very Franciscan in its spirit, but not literally from St. Francis. The thought is his; this catchy phrasing is not in his writings or in the earliest biographies about him.

In Chapter XVII of his Rule of 1221, Francis told the friars not to preach unless they had received the proper permission to do so. Then he added, "Let all the brothers, however, preach by their deeds."

A few years ago, someone used the Internet to contact some of the most eminent Franciscan scholars in the world, seeking the source of this "Use words if necessary" quote. It is clearly not in any of Francis’ writings. After a couple weeks of searching, no scholar could find this quote in a story written within 200 years of Francis’ death.
    Friar Jack’s Catechism Quiz:
    September 23, 2002

Adapted from Ask A Franciscan, a feature in St. Anthony Messenger.

When did St. Francis write the "Peace Prayer"?

Another trick question. The above saying and the "Peace Prayer," which Francis certainly did not write, are easily identified with him because they so thoroughly reflect his spirit. Unfortunately, they would not have become as widespread if they had been attributed to "John Smith" or "Mary Jones."

Exhaustive research on the origins of the "Peace Prayer of St. Francis" has led to Christian Renoux’s new book in French. This 210-page study (ISBN 2-85020-096-4) is described at www.electre.com under Les Editions Franciscans.

An 11th-century French prayer is similar to the first part of the "Peace Prayer." The oldest known copy of the current prayer, however, dates to 1912 in France. The prayer became more well known in other countries during World War I.

This prayer is sold all over Assisi today—but most often under the title "A Simple Prayer." Whoever linked it to St. Francis guaranteed a wide diffusion of the text. The same is true for the "Use words if necessary" quote. Both reflect St. Francis very well.
    Friar Jack’s Catechism Quiz:
    September 23, 2002

Adapted from Ask A Franciscan, a feature in St. Anthony Messenger.

10. buschiabo

buschiabo New Member

St. Anthony is my "go to saint" when I misplace something. Simple prayer - "OK, St. Anthony, I need you again. Help me find
    _______,please. Works EVERY time. Then I say, Thank you, St. Anthony"

11. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

SaintnAnthony,,SaintnAnthony look around, something's lost and can't be found!

12. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

I was actually looking for something and trying to remember that little saying. Being raised Baptist - I am not too familiar with the Saints. However, I must confess I do love watching Mother Angelica on EWTN and she is quite educational and humorous.

13. buschiabo

buschiabo New Member

Aladdin,just ask for help. I usually say, "Need you again, st. Anthony, please help me find ___." Did yesterday. Found the item20 minutes later. Thanks St. Anthony.

14. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

15. buschiabo

buschiabo New Member

P.S. It was in a place I "normally" would not have looked. Talk about divine (well almost) direction.

16. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

:) - I will remember this!

17. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

I'm still looking for only ONE moepre thing I haven't found.

It's a packet with lottery tickets in it for the Mega Million, sometime in March I think. I had thought I had won something small, but substantial. I still haven't found the whole envelope,
    I could really use the money if I did win it, the credit card bills are piling up.

ChaChing.

St. Anthony, St. Anthony, look around, something's lost and can't be found.
    St. Anthony, help me to find the winning/not winning lottery tickets Im looking for.

Amen

18. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

19. carolyn33

carolyn33 New Member

DITTO GINA!

20. buschiabo

buschiabo New Member

Good luck, Gina. You DO have to help him though and keep looking. I often find things in the weirdest places and then think, "why on earth did I put it there"?