not religious

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by hollymm, Aug 5, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

deercharmer, titus, gmcdnh,

Thank-you so much. I feel like just maybe I am doing the right thing for her. What I didn't think of is something gmcdnh (what's that spell? :-\) wrote; she must prove herself before she gets the kind of help you can give her.

She is not my child but I do feel for what you're going through (I've got a son). It's so hard to say no to something you love so much. I think I'll check in on her after some time has passed. If she's doing better with the drugs and is trying to lift her life up a bit, I'll ask her if she still wants to live with me again - b.u.t. only under certain conditions.

I've got another young woman living with me right now (I've got a three bedroom home) and she has not only started to go back to school to get her G.E.D, she is looking into a training program to get her started in a career while she's finishing up her GED program at the college! I'm always so happy when somone who's life hasn't been the best still finds it from somewhere to go on and upwards. Oh, I might as well tell you, she has been re-babtized and has been going to church on Sundays. I most likely will end up going with her on one sunday soon. ;)

Yea, I think I'm doing the right thing...

2. gmcdnh

gmcdnh New Member

Holly,

You are so right. It is hard to say no to a loved one. By the way the gmcdnh stands for: g = my first name, which is Gail and anyone can call me that if they wish. The mcd = the first 3 letters of my last name and the nh stands for New Hampshire, the state I live in.

3. Titus

Titus New Member

Holly, You are a sweetheart :)

4. birdmom3

birdmom3 New Member

I am Jewish. We must help one another it is part of our religion. And do good deads. But we can help people because we are truly wanting to help them. And I believe to be true to yourself.

Birdmom3

5. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Thanks Gail (another Mc - huh? Me too!)

"Be true to yourself" - "Be true to yourself". That thought is rolling aroung in my head...

We self-justify so much, it's one of the most difficult things to do - be true to yourself. I have reasons and excuses for a lot of things I have done and do. Then, when I sit and think about them, I feel shame for the selfish reasons I was actually doing those things for. It's difficult to think about how true to yourself you are being while in the moment - don't ya think? Retrospect is easy when there's time to think about your actions; it's in the moment I have been, less than charitable.

6. Titus

Titus New Member

Yes......we're all human :)

7. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

I've worked in the past with people who had emotion/psychological, drug/alcohol addictions - problems...I learned very early never to work harder than they do at helping themselves...until someone is ready to change and/or deal with their problems - my breath is wasted and so was my energy - however, once they made the decision to get help and made the first move I'd help them - surprised at how much energy I saved and went non wasted

8. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

but I did spend many nights including them in my prayers

9. birdmom3

birdmom3 New Member

Yes, you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make them drink.

Helping people is good. But that person needs to want to be helped. and being kind to someone is good too. And questioning always good or bad. And asking for forgiveness.

Birdmom3

10. gmcdnh

gmcdnh New Member

Nicely said Holly

11. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

I know we've gotten way off topic with regard to 'not religious'. Most topics are like that. Personally, I kinda like that. Some people get angry about it, but because we are people, we do tend to wander ::)

If this were to become one of those posts that talk about all the other posts and follows, like a brook, wherever it will; that'll be cool.

I don't know where my journey started. I do know I'm still on a journey. I don't know where my journey will end or what I'll believe when I get there. I only know that it will build on what I do believe now - it must.

See, I can believe in Jesus. I really can. Where the difficulty lies is in believing that Jesus is the son of God born out of a virgin Mother.

There are many people written about in history that I believe to be real. I didn't know them, I never saw them; yet I still believe they lived and walked the earth.

What makes it so difficult to believe in God? His book is the biggest seller of all time. People build churches and teach his word. People believe he had a son whom he sent to earth to embrace our sins for us.

If I can believe without knowledge that there are universes and worlds where beings live and are intelligent, why is it so difficult to believe something that's right in front of my face and that which has been believed since the beginning?

12. birdmom3

birdmom3 New Member

I said the other day to be true to yourself. I was going to let this one go until my quote was noted to be from someone else. Web master where are you? Why is it that we forget that. I am who first brought the topic up, not Gail.

Also why do we have to talk about what God we believe in. Six million of us Jews went to their death because they were Jewish. I know we are not supposed to talk about this but since you brought up why we most believe in Gods son, then I can comment. That statement you made is innapropriate for this group. I do not push my faith either. This is not 1931 Germany.

Birdmom3

13. birdmom3

birdmom3 New Member

Now maybe I do not belong here. First of all God is everywhere. The birds, flowers, trees the sun. We are all part of that in this world. And we all are here, it was a gift, Life. And what God we believe in really does not matter.

Henry, I am glad your belief in your religion has brought you far. As a Jew, I was always respectful of other religions. And I am not religious. True spritulalness comes from inside of us. How we treat one another, respect and care for others. And we should try to follow the ten commandments. But we also should stand up for others. And help people. And when they are not feeling up to par, help them feel better.

As of lately I have found some people in my life who I did not know were there for me. And I also found some who were not. And a few that I had some issues with I told them to not treat me with disrespect. I even did find my own strength to come to terms with my own faith. I am still learning.

God does not give us problems we cannot handle. And he is everywhere. And we can talk to God anytime. And in the darkest night there is a light from inside of us. We can be the best We can be.

Birdmom3

14. gmcdnh

gmcdnh New Member

Birdmom3,
    Since my name was brought up in your post I feel I need to respond. I don't pretend to speak for Holly, but, her post where she thanks me and then mentions the term "be true to yourself" (which you did first bring up) I think she is thanking me for responding to her post to me asking me what gmcdnh stands for and I responded and explained what it meant. I don't believe she was using your quote of "be true to yourself" and giving credit to me. I think she was just thanking me and using your quote in the same post. Maybe Holly can clarify that for you, but, that is my assumption.

15. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Thanks Gail I was, indeed repeating something that birdmom3 said. Apologies for any misbehavior on my part. Your thought (birdmom3) just kept rolling around in my head and so that is why I put it to paper (so to speak) without a thought in my head to give it proper credit.

As to the thought that maybe you don't belong here, I haven't a clue as to why you would think that. I hope it wasn't something I wrote because it is exactly your spirtiual thoughts and others that prompted me to begin this post. To listen, discuss and learn what others believe.

You don't have to be religious to post here. You can believe or be part of any belief system you do have to speak out in this post. As you can see, it was your words that prompted me to say something. They kept rolling around in my head so as to get a feel and some thoughts from what you brought to the table; and I thank you for it.

This post is about spirit and faith and what you believe, whatever it may be. You belong more than you may think. I believe, in fact, that you bring in a whole new element. what I get from you and, please correct me if I'm wrong, is that you are a very spiritual person who does not believe in a specific religion - just that god is everywhere and as to which one we believe in or pray to, just does not matter.

I don't believe I must believe in God's son, in fact, I said it was difficult for me to believe it as an immacutale conception. I don't get where I was inappropiate in what I wrote. I don't get what we're not supposed to talk about either. I see that I made you angry in some way and usually I'm more astute in picking up on things - but I got lost somewhere in your response. I just read the anger and wondered at it.

As to being Jewish or having the jewish faith belief system, I know that it was ignorance, fear and hate that brought about so many deaths because of one idiot's power, greed and extreme fear.

If you could or anyone who might be able to shed some light on me speak up so I can understand what I brought about, please, help me out here...
    holly

16. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

"Shalom, my friend" :)

17. gmcdnh

gmcdnh New Member

Hi Holly,
    I'm glad you clarified your post. I didn't want to be presumptuous. I hope that this will resolve the matter. Hope you have a good night!

18. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

I sure miss Sarita...

19. phildsc

phildsc New Member

I did too, until I had five kids and suddenly I WAS Santa.

Lately, I don't get too juiced up at Christmas. Too darn old I suppose. I kinda lean toward what John Glenn said back when he got ready for the first US orbital flight. He said he didn't have the "fire engine" type of religion that you pull out in emergencies. Makes sense to me to just have daily faith in what you believe in. No specific situation or occasion.

20. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

I miss Santa too...But somehow I expect Santa is here in spirit.

:)

PS, Holly, got your note. :)