not religious

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by hollymm, Aug 5, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

I'm not, specifially religious (meaning I don't practice with a specific religious group). I believe in a higher power and I kow he has many names. I kinda think it's the same thing (higher power) without the many different books and teachings within them.
    We've fought so many wars over whose religion is right and whoe's is wrong that I have to believe there's a little truth in all of them. I do know this, they all have good life practices for individuals, families and fellowship.
    I do fellowship with people from different beliefs but I cannot believe that their religion is the only one that will get them into heaven or the next level of life.
    I come to this forum for fellowship, words of caring, support and honesty. I might from time to time insult someones beliefs. It will NEVER be my intention to do that. I will most likely just be ignorant of what's true for them.
    I hope this is acceptable,
    holly

2. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

Holly- I know I've insulted others on accident as well. I am a person who believes in God/Jesus/Holy Spirit - three in one. A non-denominational Christian. I have friends - friend who I would die for - who are Muslim and I know they would to if had to. I love my friends, not because they are Christians, but because of who they are...I believe that God wants us to love others and respect others difference.

3. leviticus

leviticus Jonah's whale

holly,, glad to have your opinion anytime, personally I am a born again Christian, if you could insult me or make me angry then I wouldn't be much of a Christian,, I posted a thread sometime ago that the preacher said during the morning service that just comes to mind again,, People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care!!!! when you offer a prayer or make a comment it shows concern and compassion for others, glad you are joining us... God Bless!!!

4. snkrey1211

snkrey1211 New Member

Holly: Both Aladdin and Leviticus have said it for me! I am also a born again Christian, and welcome your comments, suggestions and criticism. Hey, we are all entitled to have an opinion...correct? :)

You have come to a very good forum, where we can all share thoughts! I've gained many new friends here and want to welcome you to our discussions! I try...key word TRY, to give my "verse of the day". My thoughts, comments and verses may not be for everyone, but I write what inspires me for the day. It touched me enough to ponder and share.

Feel free to PM if you want to talk.

Sheryl

5. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Thank-you All,
    I just wrote a really long dissertation about what stopped me from going to church a long time ago and how I was afraid to return to the church because of the judgement that went on within the congregation (I was giving 'bad witness' to god and the church because I was 'pregnant without being married'). Suffice to say I'd always believed (and still do) that we haven't the right to judge each other and that only my higher power (God) has that right. I decided to take a chance here because of the wonderful things I've seen in this topic and the feeling that I just might be able to give my heart up and trust that it won't be beat down again in his name. I want the fellowship, need it. And I thank you so much for making me feel welcome no matter my 'faith'.
    holly
    (oh, I lost it, me previous entry, somwhere along the way!)

6. snkrey1211

snkrey1211 New Member

I believe you are correct! We do not have a right to judge each other...and in a time of need, the church should have been there to help! Shame on them!

Sheryl

7. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

...we as humans are so judgmental...we confess (Christians) to love and honor Christ, but how often do Christians do the just exact opposite...Jesus would have welcomed you with open arms yet humans/people scorned you - I had this same experience when I was younger...I lost my faith in Church and declared war upon God as I thought church and God were one - years later I discovered that church and God should be as one but seldom are....churches preach doctrines, rules, and punishment, Jesus teaches and gives love , acceptance, and forgiveness...I will pm you something that I wrote - I think you will understand !

8. newflady

newflady New Member

Holly,

I agree with Aladdin and Leviticus. I too am not religious. Neither was Jesus, the "religious people" at the time didn't even like him. He didn't fit into there self emposed mold. We are suppose to be recognized that we have been with God because of the Love we have one for another.......like Cor.13 says, all else will pass away but love will remain. Sorry you have been judged in the past you are welcome to post in this forum anytime, agree or disagree!!!

9. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

I am neither religious nor Christian yet I have been known to toss Pharisees out of various temples. :)

10. newflady

newflady New Member

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

11. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Hi Holly,

Nobody is religious unto themselves. Only unto others do they seem religious. There is a difference between truth and religion. Religion deals with beliefs, not truths. Whatever you discover as truth then is not your religion. It is your truth. Only other people who have discovered a different truth would call you religious, and perhaps you, them. You pursue truth where truth takes you. Do not let others who seem religious to you destroy your path to truth, wherever that path may lead. And you are welcome here anytime and all the time.

:)

Hank

12. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Hey Hank,
    Strangly enough that makes sense. Sounds like you're talking faith and belief...
    holly

13. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Yes, I am. You are a smart girl, in my opinion.

14. Titus

Titus New Member

Holly, I'm glad you're here. Most of us here want this to be a safe place of support.

15. newflady

newflady New Member

Hank you are a smart man and that was well put!!! I agree totally!

16. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

I gotta be honest...I love seeing this topic come up on my 'e' mail notice...it makes me feel, I don't know, blessed.
    This topic subject can stop or be an opening for those who are like me but don't know where to go to get the acceptance and welcome that I have seen here in abundance.

Thank you all for caring so much and showing that no matter the regligion/belief, we are all welcome here.

By the way, I've always wondered something. It's about time in centuries. We have Before Christ and After the Death of Christ in counting the years...How come there's no Mormon time? I mean, don't they claim a coming of the son too?
    Could be a lot of ignorance on my part but I just don't know enough about the different religions, a little bit but certainly not enough - there are soooooo many.
    holly

17. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

:) - glad you are here..

18. newflady

newflady New Member

I think it has to do with the latin calendar not religion, also the jews celebrate new years I believe in Septmember and the chineese new year...hmmmm, I am not so sure about....BC does not stand for before christ it is how we explain it, again I believe orgin are latin, one of you scolars can feel free to jump in anytime......I am so glad you are here too!!!!!

19. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Yea, jump right in!! I wouln't even know what to "google" to find this one out. Latin based huh? wow! It's just something I've always wondered and the 'picture' I painted was what I've heard from others - BC/AD
    holly

20. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

I'm gonna google 'common era' and see where it takes me. I've so much to learn and here is a truly real starting place. Are there thousands of different religions or just a couple hundred with off-shoots?
    holly