Not for the faint of heart

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by barnyardbird, Sep 13, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. barnyardbird

barnyardbird Guest

You've made some good points.Remember the BTK killer?He was president of his church in Overland Park,Ks.

2. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Greatful Ted (awesome name by the way, you've got me humming Casey Jones :)),

I think you make some insightful and honestly felt points.

I think most of us know that 99% of Muslim people, like 99% of people in general (let's be clear I'm making those stats up for rhetorical purposes) are just decent, regular folk. I can gaurantee that those 99% of decent Muslim folks are just as saddened as you, if not more so, by the actions of the radical few. It makes it that much harder for them to live among their non Muslim neighbours and feel welcomed by them.

All any of us can do is try not to pre-judge and to take each person as we find them. I'm pretty sure that that kind of approach is less likely to radicalise a Muslim neighbour and therefore make them less willing to kill you. Hey, it's worth a try at least!

Barnyardbird I don't think you should be proud to "label" yourself a bigot but to even consider that you might be (let alone publicly state it) takes a person of strong character and indicates someone willing to "work on themselves" (to use horrible sugary Oprah speak - but in a good way).

Didn't that Waco guy (David something?) claim to be some sort of Christian?

3. ToniG

ToniG Guest

France has banned the burka, I wish they banned it in the US, too. Kids can't wear crucifix to school nor bring the rosary, but others can wear their full garb?

4. jim1884again

jim1884again advocating baldness be recognized as a disability

David Koresh--and there was so much misinformation about that situation (from conspiracy nuts and the media and perhaps even the government) that nobody knows for sure exactly how nuts he was or what he was really doing. I do recall he claimed some Christian affiliation but it certainly wasn't a "mainstream" church.

Barnyard--I too appreciate your honesty. We all have some prejudices and it is admirable if one is aware of them. When I get pissy, it often says as much about me as it does about the person with whom I get pissy. While I was offended by remarks I perceived to be bigoted, I could have chosen to ignore rather than lash out at you. I did not take the high road.

5. barnyardbird

barnyardbird Guest

I was thinking of changing my moniker from barnyardbird to the bigot,but I didn't.
    Thanks Jim

6. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Re Waco - just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting the guy was a Christian, just that I thought he was claiming to be. Point being - lots of people do things in the name of their religion, but that doesn't mean those actions are either inspired or sanctioned by the religion.

7. barnyardbird

barnyardbird Guest

I understand that Christians believe that once you die,you lie in purgatory and upon the return of Jesus your soul is lifted up to heaven.Correct?
    Now since Jesus has not returned,though I don't know why it's taking the dude so long,the dead continue to lie in purgatory.Correct? So,no heaven until the return of Jesus,correct?
    So let's say hypothetically that Jesus returns to Earth.He lifts the souls of the dead up to heaven,o.k.Now just what do these souls do in heaven and for eternity no less?

8. Steve333

Steve333 New Member

there is no mention of purgatory in the bible. jesus never spoke of purgatory.

barnyardbird, your last post was "bait."

as i said before, the moderator does not tolerate religion bashing on this forum. it is meant to be supportive and tolerant. it is not meant to be upsetting and contentious. all faiths and beliefs are welcome. non-believers are welcome. we are not here to debate. we are here to support and encourage.

if you are really interested in knowing more about the christian faith, you can send me a personal message and i will answer all your questions.

if you are interested in knowing about religions other than christianity, i'm sure there are some nice people on this forum who will answer your questions.

9. barnyardbird

barnyardbird Guest

After sending my message I did a Google search of the word Purgatory.Apparently it's a cleansing before entering heaven.
    http://www.catholic.com/library/Purgatory.asp
    Purgatory from what I gather has nothing to do with lying in the ground until the return of Jesus where upon souls of believers are lifted up to heaven.It is simply a cleansing before entering heaven.
    Btw,I know how touchy some people are but I did not ask this question originally to debate anyone.I simply asked a question,period.

10. studio34

studio34 Guest

I cannot see the problem with asking some questions about things here and find it baffling that the religious get so bent out of shape at the mere notion of a question about a particular faith. As was mentioned earlier this forum is full of support for people with only the odd thread covering debatable issues such as creation and marriage where a non-believer's input is warranted. Barnyardbird titled this thread "not for the faint of heart" so perhaps that can be a clue for those who don't want their worldview upset by a question to just skip the thread. Easy solution for the faint of heart.

11. barnyardbird

barnyardbird Guest

Since signing up on July 20,2010,I've been learning the ropes here.In the future if anybody(which includes all long term trolls,you know who you are) here makes any negative comments to me or about me or calls me a name like Jim1884 did when he called me an IDIOT,all these type comments will be reported to the moderator.

12. karenlr

karenlr New Member

You bait, bash and trash the long held beliefs of others in this forum and now YOU are going to report anyone who does something you don't like. You call those that stand up to you "trolls"? I guess that includes me and a host of others that feel inflamitory statements and inappropriate comments have no place here among those who are looking for friendship and understanding among others who suffer from the same affliction. I don't care if someone is athiest, Christian or Muslum, we all are looking for answers and help in fighting a common foe. An illness, NOT EACH OTHER! You make comments about having a right to your beliefs and the slam the beliefs of others in the same breath and then turn around a post that someone was bashing you. If you are an athiest what are you doing in a forum called Your Religion & Spiritual Corner? Get me banned, report me, I too have a right to my feelings and my beliefs, and I will stand up for then and not let a belittling person like you try to steamroll my faith in God and Jesus Christ!
    I will continue to pray for anyone in this forum that asks for prayer and I will continue to pray for this country that I love.
    Peace.

13. barnyardbird

barnyardbird Guest

Well I am not going to dance around peoples feelings.If you can't take responsibility for your own feelings,I certainly will not.I am getting real tired of dealing with some of you 'babies'here.If I'm banned here then the board will be left to many of you long term trolls here which I'm sure is the way you would like it anyways.

14. barnyardbird

barnyardbird Guest

I remember you now.I said something about,"I didn't want to go to heaven as all the intellectuals are in hell" and you replied,"I'm sure you will get your wish".I'm sure I should have reported your comment to the moderator but being new here I just let it slide.No more though.Now that I've got some experience here,I'll be taking off the gloves.Btw Steve 333,if you should be reading this whether you like it or not I will continue if I need to,ask questions.I only ask questions to expand my knowledge.If you or anyone else think by asking a question I'm' baiting'(your word),you're wrong.
    I had thought I could ask a question here,but I see now some of you trolls are so insecure that that is not the case.and so you make excuses that I'm 'baiting'you.You want to know something,I come on here hoping to have an interesting discussion.You believers aren't going to change my mind nor am I am going to change your mind.And you know something else,I don't care because I'm certain of my non-beliefs.Atheism(e before the i) is a conclusion not a belief system.
    Steve333,you know how to spell atheism but sarcastically spelled it athiesm.I wouldn't use the word Christer,though I've seen it on other boards.

15. barnyardbird

barnyardbird Guest

Not you Intrepid.My post was intended for karenlr.

16. Steve333

Steve333 New Member

sorry about the misspelling. i never did learn how to type and was always the first to sit down in the spelling bees LOL. honestly, it wasn't intentional.

barnyardbird, i'm sorry if i offended you. please accept my apology. perhaps i spoke out of turn.

peace.

17. carolyn33

carolyn33 New Member

They didn't say it I did. Report me you're comment was uncalled for. Since you don't believe in Heaven or hell why did my comment bother you? After all since you are the only intellectual on here what was my response suppose to be? All trolls go to Heaven?

18. studio34

studio34 Guest

Barnyardbird -- she has a point. As an atheist you're not doing yourself any favours taking comments about your point of view personally and screaming out for a ban. Taking it personally is what almost all the religious folk do (apart from Hank). No offence should be taken when someone puts another's point of view under the microscope -- that goes for the religious too. Your right to free speech is respected but if your ideas are not sound in one of these discussions you should be prepared to have them pulled apart (note: I don't believe this should ever apply to threads where people are looking for support; I am talking about the recent ones dealing with creation, the universe, and mixed couples of faith and faithless marriage).

19. jim1884again

jim1884again advocating baldness be recognized as a disability

Barnyard--seems like you might be feeling a bit alone about now and that may be OK for you. We all have different needs when it comes to the approval of others.

From the perspective of most believers on the board, I may be seen as an atheist. I know a couple feel that way for sure. From my point of view I am an agnostic leaning towards believing in some sort of inexplicable teleology in the universe--at times I am Ok with calling that belief in God, but I do know what it is like to feel judged by Christians here and elsewhere, and occasionally, I will lash out at them when I feel they have been hypocritical. In general, however, I don't challenge their beliefs; I merely state I see it differently.

For the record, I didn't call you and IDIOT, but the person from whom you got the number 18 million. I will admit that I said some snide and less than kind things to you in response to your bigoted and what I saw to be unfounded remarks. But as you and I have both said, we are only responsible for our own behavior--we can choose to ignore those who see things in a dramatically different way and even those who attack us.

The ostensible purpose of this room is spiritual support and guidance, but we know we (many, many of us) often stray from that purpose and use this as a place for discussion and debate, and we don't always do it in the most civil manner. If we were to report ever single transgression to our moderator and if he were to ban us each time we did, the boards would have a lot fewer people.

I don't think the believers are trying to be cruel to you, but they likely are prone to take offense if you attack or challenge something sacred to them. I hope you and those you have trouble with are able to have a more civil exchange. That may be a stretch if you are on such different paths.

20. barnyardbird

barnyardbird Guest

After re-reading your previous post,yes you're correct that you didn't say I was an IDIOT.My mistook.As for feeling alone right now,sorry to disappoint you but I'm not.
    Have a good night.