Non Profit Corp needs Board Members

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by HeadNoise, Oct 1, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. HeadNoise

HeadNoise Invisible Me

The State of Missouri officially recognizes "Meniere's Resources" as a business entity and we have 60 days to file for non profit status, submit Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

The orignial topic was lost - but the purpose of this non profit organization is to publish a resource manual for Meniere's sufferers, but more than that, as a guidebook for those people who "help" us - professionals and staff, etc. The long term goal is to establish an assisted living facilityfor those MM or other vestibular disorder sufferers who are no longer able to live alone. Some day if my husband dies (and everyone on my side of the family lives to be 95+) a normal nursing home with tile floors and fluorescent lighting, hi sodium diet, loud intercom systems (you get the picture) would not be a good place for me or YOU. I do not want to own or run this facility. We will be seeking a sponsor who knows how to do such things to run it, but chances are, they will not know the particular needs of MM patients. The Catholic Church and other churches as well as secular companies have only just recently got on board to establish Alzheimer Units with the special needs of the Alzheimer patient. The same thing can happen with Menieres.

So, in order to file Articles of Incorporation, I need Board Members. The Board members will approve what happens and thereby alleviate liability from a single person doing this. The non profit org gives us tax exemption & protection from liability. The Board members will not have to do anything other than say ok, I approve these purposes, I like the manual, this fundraiser is a good idea, this grant proposal is approved..... All this can be done via email or even here on the forum. But for sake of convenience, the Officers of the Board probably need to reside here locally (Kansas City) so at this point my lawyer (who has MM) and the person with training in Health Psychology and knows how to write grants (has MM), me and my husband (the only one of us who can hear!) We will be up for selection as officers by you board members, so that we can meet as necessary, sign documents and there will be a bank account if grant money comes in, so that we can sign checks, order supplies, etc.

I have written PMs or emails to some of you if you would like to be on the Board. You do not have to be a resident of Missouri, altho I am not sure if it is necessary to be a resident of the U.S. I will check on that. There will also be what's considered "membership" of the corporation - I would consider that to be everybody here who is interested.

Most of this is just technicalities for the State and Feds who want to be sure we are not raising money for anything but educational or charitable purposes. Those are the main 2 requirements.

So...... WHO CAN I PUT DOWN AS BOARD MEMBERS? You don't have to have any particular skill or knowledge or ability (other than writing English would be helpful and access to a computer)

I need a LIST OF BOARD MEMBERS WITH YOUR HOME ADDRESS (not P.O. Box) for the Articles of Incorporation. Don't let this freak you out. I have been on the Board of a camp for underprivileged children, and helped incorporate 2 churches. It is no big deal.

If you would please agree to be on the Board, PM me with your name, address, and email address and I will send you the rough drafts of the Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation for your review. After the lawyer approves them, I will add your names to the list of Board Members and send it back to you again. At that point, we will call it a Board Meeting, notes of that meeting will state that you'all (whoever responds) were participants at the meeting, and voted to approve (if you do) the Bylaws & Articles of Incorporation. This is all another hoop to jump through that proves it is official and we keep these Board meeting notes on file. Eventually there will be a budget to approve, which will at the beginning basically be for supplies and the costs of incorporation (about $300) and possibly creating and maintaining a website, office supplies and mailing costs, printing materials, doing fundraisers, etc.

Non vestibular patients are welcome as board members too! If your partner or friend who is aware of your struggle would like to be a member - that would help us too. We need people who can hear LOL and also who have the perspective of how it affects the family members, how everyone's life is changed. So ask your spouse or SO, friend, parent, sibling, child if they are interested in participating too. Also doctors, audiologists, therapists, counsellors are welcome.

Please view my topic about Calling All Writers. We need contributions, editors, researchers and documentors for this Meniere's Resource manual.

Big project - long term. If we don't do it, who will? PLEASE PM me!!!!!

2. tucker

tucker The Meniere's DVD Guy!

Me too!

3. HeadNoise

HeadNoise Invisible Me

Yippee, volunteers from Tucker, Gardenfish, Linda, Nursemom, Aladdin, DeputyDog, SteveinColorado, Stacey, Bergie, Pluto and some nominations for others I haven't heard a response from yet. Everybody has something to offer. Help!

4. HeadNoise

HeadNoise Invisible Me

Double yea!!! Add to the list cowcollector, Rev, Charisse and some others who are considering it.

Hey, this is not your only chance. I hope this organization is around for a while, and maybe next year we will be selecting new/more officers and that would be a better time for you.

Meanwhile, still need lots of helpers, on the board or not, to get this baby rolling!

5. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

Have you checked if non US residents are able to sit on board? I live in Canada.

Joe

6. HeadNoise

HeadNoise Invisible Me

I've emailed that question to the lawyer. Will get back with you.

7. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

YIKEs - Bergie and Steve togther again - that could be interesting and fun - haha

8. HeadNoise

HeadNoise Invisible Me

Fortunately they'll still be working together a couple of thousand miles apart! Maybe we can keep them under control!!!!