New: The gut microbiota and its role in the development of allergic disease

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by KennedyLane, Apr 30, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

If that were the case wouldn't diseases like cancer be a thing of the past?

I'm not as educated as the people who are on his protocol. I have no idea what SS means when he speaks.

2. bubbagump

bubbagump New Member

i think it would be wise to stay away from discussing cancer since none of us are well informed of the causes and effects of cancer, of which there are many types and are very complex. SS talks about the MALT specifically, so I doubt it relates to much of cancer anyway (perhaps lymphoma?).

3. Nathan

Nathan New Member

While pathogenic mutation remains inevitable, evolution agrees with you 100%.

4. Papajoe

Papajoe Myco-dental Freak of Nature

I agree. Leaky gut was one of my two problems (yeast overgrowth in the gu). I cured the leaky gut and I'm much better now :)

Even without a yeast overgrowth, diarrhea, too much alcohol or antibiotics can get your gut out of whack and cause many varied and nasty problems.

Drink Kefir!

5. FadedRose

FadedRose New Member

I love milk kefir. Do you make your own, PapaJoe?

6. bubbagump

bubbagump New Member

hi papajoe, how did you figure out it was a leaky gut problem? and how did you resolve it, was it just using the anti-fungal medication on the other thread or something else?

thanks.

7. Papajoe

I used to make my own kefir, and I used coconut milk (during the period I was going milk-free). Now I just buy it. I think home made is superior if you can find a good culture (more probiotic species).

It's just like yogurt and sourdough bread - just keep some going and add new milk when you're running low. If you have too much put the culture in the fridge to slow it down, and to speed it up just leave it on the counter with a cloth over the top.

Bubba, I figured it out when SoCalCyclist suggested I give up wheat, which was the dumbest idea I had ever heard. But within two weeks I started seeing improvements.

So then the question is why was wheat making me sick? It wasn't coeliac, and the only other information I could find was something called leaky gut (aka "intestinal permiability") where the foods you eat start leaking into the blood stream through "holes" in the intestines.

Though there are many possible causes of leaky gut, the most likely to me seemed to be yeast overgrowth, especially given that my diet was very poor for much of my life, with lots of sugar, candy and snack foods.

So I suggested that we try anti-fungals to my food intolerance doctor, and he came up with the protocol of nystatin 3xday for three months, and itraconazole for three months. He also had me take L-Glutamine, an amino acid that promotes gut health, and he had me go on a restricted "candida" diet. The main thing is to add probiotics to your diet permanently. While you're taking the anti-fungals especially, eat lots of probiotic foods and take lots of probiotic capsules. Lots.

The idea is to kill off the yeast, and immediately replace it with good probiotics, so eat some with every meal, take probiotic capsules with every meal. The more probiotics and probiotic foods, the better.

8. Papajoe

^ btw - I can eat wheat now, and pretty much any food that used to be a trigger for me, at least while I'm not detoxing. I generally follow a low-carb diet now, and generally avoid wheat and sugars just on general principal. Probiotics are a permanent part of my diet, though not with every meal.

I've had some non-standard (not covered by insurance) tests that indicate my gut health is pretty good right now.