New: The gut microbiota and its role in the development of allergic disease

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by KennedyLane, Apr 30, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. KennedyLane

KennedyLane New Member

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24773202

"The gut microbiota are critical in the homeostasis of multiple interconnected host metabolic and immune networks. If early microbial colonisation is delayed, the gut associated lymphoid tissues (GALT) fail to develop, leading to persistent immune dysregulation in mice. Microbial colonisation has also been proposed as a major driver for the normal age-related maturation of both Th1 and T regulatory (Treg) pathways that appear important in suppressing early propensity for Th2 allergic responses. There is emerging evidence that resident symbionts induce tolerogenic gut-associated Treg cells and dendritic cells that ensure the preferential growth of symbionts; keeping pathogenic strains in check and constraining proinflammatory Th1, Th2 and Th17 clones. Some effects of symbionts are mediated by short-chain fatty acids, which play a critical role in mucosal integrity, local and systemic metabolic function and stimulate the regulatory immune responses. "

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24535216

2. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

Meniere's research is quickly moving in the direction of immune cell dysfunction in the MALT and the GALT. One a nasty infection gets in there, it never gets killed off by the T cells and it can inhabit the tissues for years,

The mucosal tissue is all interconnected throughout the body, including the inner ear. I absolutely believe this is the root cause of Hydrops, and thus, Meniere's.

3. bubbagump

bubbagump New Member

i hope there's more meniere's research! not enough i say. this is quite interesting....do you think this relates to meniere's or just talking about the immune system in general? Because i would think Meniere's is more NALT rather than GALT.

this is basically SS's theory right? it does seem to make the most sense. i am still somewhat perplexed by how come we cannot fight off that infection by ourselves, he says its "immune dysfunction" but why does that happen and why can't it ever correct itself over time, like ever? especially for people who are healthy and then get it all of a sudden. i would think at least some young, healthy people would eventually be able to fight this off. But it seems like as far as we know meniere's is a 100% progressive disease and I haven't heard of anyone just curing themselves naturally.

I am hoping that stephen is right, since in his theory at least there's a chance to fix this problem, whereas other theories basically says there's nothing you can do about it.

Ron, you're on the SS protocol right? how are you feeling so far?

4. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

It's not SS's theory. It's something that's been known in the scientific community for a long time. Gut bacteria is crucial when it comes to immune dysfunction. There are lots of papers and books on the subject.

5. bubbagump

bubbagump New Member

does it related to meniere's? from what i understand GALT issues result in digestive / bowel issues, no?

i wonder if anyone has tried stuff like probiotics or similar for meniere's.

6. upgrader

upgrader New Member

I believe this id the case, all my problems started about 4 years ago after I got food poisoning while on vacation, this let to h pylori, ibs problems, insomnia, inflammation of joints, brain fog finally leading to a hearing loss event which developed hydrops

7. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

You got it right, Intrepid. In fact, Stephen cites research on this topic going back four decades.

Bad immunity can definitely originate in the gut.
    I've seen at least four new studies in the past few months on the topic of immune causality for Meniere's. Researchers are finally starting to take a more holistic view, and now they're finally connecting the dots.

It's very exciting. And I'm sure other researchers who are on the same track as SS will eventually formulate their own vaccines, etc.

What's not exciting is the snail's pace of all the medical politics, clinical trials, and ultimate approval for new Meniere's treatments.

All of that is years away. I am not waiting.

Bless all,
    Ron

8. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

Impatient! It's not Stephen's fault; it's waiting for weeks to see my ENT and getting all the testing scheduled. My ENT overbooks like most doctors, so you wait forever for an appointment.
    I am truly sick of doctors!

I'll hopefully start the vaccine in a few weeks, and I'll definitely report.

Ron

9. bubbagump

bubbagump New Member

I see I see, good luck!

10. bubbagump

bubbagump New Member

the key here is the food poisoning and IBS problems..I assume it would be fairly obvious digestive issues if you have problems with the gut....so for people without any obvious stomach issues, then it's not a gut problem then right?

11. MD1

MD1 New Member

Thanks Ron. As many of other members I will be keenly following your progress.

12. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Actually if your gut bacteria is messed up you could have manifestations elsewhere in your body without having any stomach issues.

13. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

Absolutely true.

http://www.therootofhealth.com/leaky-gut/

14. bubbagump

bubbagump New Member

that's actually encouraging since I do not have any obvious digestive issues, but would like to find out if I have gut/food/allergy problems. prior to meniere's i have not been eating very healthy at all.

15. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I honestly don't think anybody has a clean, 100% functional gut or immune system. To say that immune dysfunction can be corrected and reversed completely is BS.

Even if you eat fantastically, are in great physical shape, etc. there is too much crap in the environment that is constantly attacking us and we respond in ways that can be overt or covert.

The ideal is to lower your threshold so your reactions are not as drastic as they have been. There is only so much we can control and only so much any treatment, protocol, kefir, probiotics, etc. can do.

Just try and be consistent as far as maintaining good overall health is concerned. The rest is pretty much outside out control. We're 50% nature and 50% nurture.

16. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

When I was about 10 years old I had my first upper GI series, I would be doubled over in pain so many times, my parents took me for that test, at that young age I was diagnosed with what they called then a spasmodic stomach, age 13 had my first vertigo attack and Diagnosis of MM. My entire life I have been plaque with a bad gut til this day. I was told I had spasmodic stomach, spastic colon, IBS, not sure if they are all different maybe just a name change with the times..But I do take a quality probiotic now once or twice a day now and have much less stomach pain and less often.

17. bubbagump

bubbagump New Member

am I sensing you're saying SS protocol is BS? :)

18. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

Oh I have a food allergy too, but the interesting things about that is, I never did until 2010 but in Oct 2010 I had a systemic allergic reaction to 1 shrimp.

For the first time, a few months before my allergic reaction my gastro Doctor prescribed prescription prilosec for me which is a proton pump inhibitor and I now know these types of drugs are being considered as possible causes of food allergies. Proton pump inhibitors blocks certain enzymes, so what happens is the body thinks a friendly protein is an enemy and sends out 1000's of histamines to combat the so called enemy which is exactly what an allergic reaction is.

wish I had known that before I took that medication :(

19. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

You're sensing wrong and taking one word out of context.

20. bubbagump

bubbagump New Member

I do not know which word you are referring to, but "immune dysfunction can be corrected" is pretty much what SS is saying, is it not? if not than then someone please correct me and tell me what SS is talking about.