New since Jan 24 to Menieres

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Freesurge, May 10, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Freesurge

Freesurge New Member

My name is Sergio, I could give long explanations if you care to read them but on Jan 24, I had my first unannounced drop attack. After the barrage of MRI, Stroke, Nystagmus, Eppleys maneuvers, audiologists etc etc all things point to possible bilateral issues. I have been on wait lists to see an ENT and I travel for work by air and car, so I shifted my appointments to where I'm working. I will see a doctor Sabnani in Hilo Hawaii while I'm here, only 1 of 2 doctors on Hawaii.

I'm mainly writing to ask, what is the most effective types of questions or tests I should request to get a more definitive diagnosis? I need answers, I'm an engineer with troubleshooting as a career, I need a fix ASAP... I know I know :mad:

I have regular wobbly days, I have issues with barometric swings, I don't seem to have issues on planes but do have issues descending in a car from Mauna Kea for instance. I have joint pains since Starting meclizine and triamterene. I've had very lousy dizzy days and lots of cold sweaty days like just before my drop. I've had two or three pre drop attacks that made me sit down.

I also have a concern or ten, if I had an attack alone, how do you guys dial your smart phone if you can't feel 911 buttons or speed dial buttons on a glass smartphone!?!?
    I run and cycle for Ultra Endurance events, the diuretic is screwing me up big tIme for fatigue and water loss, any ideas?
    Headaches are not my thing, this is producing sharp short eye closing pains, do I need different meds or is Tylenol now my friend?
    The diazepam prescribed, for depression or dizzy symptoms? I've not taken any yet.
    Thanks to all in advance, this is a robust forum.

Sergio

2. nicmger

nicmger New Member

with the headache I would definitely talk to your doctor about trying out medication for MAV (migraine associated vertigo).

For me, after a year and two doctors later, my new doctor (at that time) prescribed Ativan for me to take if an attack of vertigo comes on suddenly or feels imminent. I place that under my tongue and it shortens my attack significantly.

I have had more bad attacks than I can count, certainly more than I would like - but once I received the diagnosis I haven't had to go to the ER or doctor immediately. (Mainly because I know what it is.)

For the dieurtic, I would have your blood levels checked to see if your potassium and/or magnesium are low. You can easily take a supplement to help offset that. (I take potassium anyway just to be safe.)

I have not been on diazepam but believe that it is supposed to work in a way to slow the signals from your brain and as such minimize/control the attacks.

Good luck. And welcome.

3. Vicki615

Vicki615 New Member

SO sorry you are going through this. You can look through the database about MAV (migraine associated vertigo) http://www.menieres.org/forum/index.php/topic,29072.0.html

Good luck..keep us posted and be safe

4. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Welcome to the forum, Sergio.

If at all possible, find yourself a neurotologist too. A good thread explaining the differences between the two can be found here.

Keep an extremely close eye on your drop attacks. Atypically I also experienced drop attacks earlier on in my prognosis & thus took time off until I had a firm handle on my symptoms. You're better off alive & a little broke, than in a car accident or divided in two over a cross slide table saw. Safety first.

There are a number of alert necklaces available. Your GP should be able to point you in the right direction.

Dizzyness. A common misconception lingers around valium as treatment for vestibular dysfunction, however. This may not happen to you & I see you've yet employed valium upon an episode of vertigo, though I've seen many develop benzo addiction due to this misconception. So to prevent even the slightest possibility of you falling into the same hole, it's worthwhile going into further detail.

Benzodiazepines such as diazepam do not suppress endolymphatic hydrops or the possible progression of any given vestibular dysfunction itself. What they suppress for a short period of time are the nerves linking the inner ear to the brain. The processes within your vestibular system which induce your symptoms still occurs, however your brains ability to recognise this process is minimised because of the suppression of the nerves joining the two.

It acts much the same way as a clutch in a car. When your engines revving & you place your foot on the clutch, it doesn't stop your engine from revving, rather it stops your engine from spinning your wheels. This doesn't mean that the next time your engine revs & you take your foot off the clutch, that it's going to rev harder or softer than it once did. It simply means you disconnect, or in this case suppress, the link joining the two.

I second Vicki615 in regards to MAV investigation also.

Take care

N

5. Freesurge

Freesurge New Member

Thanks all.

Funny thing with forums, no matter how much I scour in a forum, could be a car forum, we still feel the need to ask the same questions. So I apologize, I know a lot is already answered here.

A neurotologist, first I hear of this, I will do my research in network first.

I avoid drugs, as an endurance athlete no drugs are ever useful, one fix causes problems elsewhere so yes I've avoided Diazepam. Aside from that, I drove 35k miles last year before the attack, now I can't be on a Diazepam and drive, not usually.

I hear the safety concerns, trust me not running or cycling is truly debilitating, but not driving or flying is my life. I am keenly aware, scared, irritable and not interested in stopping my career. So I tread lightly, I've eliminated most alcohol, most coffee, most salt, only to feel no change. I hope that's just a short term lack of change in symptoms and some better results will be down the pipe.

As a Vet I have concerns that this is from hearing damage that went undiagnosed or even exacerbated by explosives, air travel or skydiving or high altitude activity.

Well onward.

Thanks to you all you are all very kind and understanding in here.

Sergio

6. jaypr

jaypr New Member

As you are likely to have MAV tendencies perhaps you should give yourself the best chance of being well by cutting out all alcohol and caffeine for now, start the "heal your headache" elimination diet and gradually add foods and drinks to determine what if any triggers you have. I agree that valium or ativan will give you confidence to stop a vertigo attack. I used to take the uk equivalent of valium (buccastem) to manage attacks but my true control came through the heal your headache diet.

Best of luck Sergio and welcome.

7. Gracie

Gracie New Member

Sergio, I agree with jaypr....all the best to you.

And welcome to the forum

8. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Don't take the diuretics, especially since you do ultras. On the contrary, you need PLENTY of electrolyte replacement.

Look into Migraine Associated Vertigo. You don't have to have headaches to have migraines.

9. Freesurge

Freesurge New Member

INTREPID Do you understand Ultras? I have a hard time explaining the delicate nature of balanced minerals to most especially a PCP only sports nutrition or runners get it.

Triamterene is hard on me, I'm gaining weight instead of losing as is expected, I have headaches, too frequent need to pee, fatigue... I know, if I have Menieres I need to make adjustments but this is all too sudden, I was enrolled for a big 100 this year again, now I'm out.

Thanks again

10. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Yes I have friends who run ultras. I think they are nuts, in a very good way ;D One of my friends has a 50K in Mississippi in JULY. I can't imagine in that heat. \

I'm training for a half, which is a walk in the park for you, but I still need my electrolytes when I'm done with my longer runs. None of that Gatorade stuff which just makes me sick though. I use NUUN and it doesn't cause me issues.

I think you are awesome for wanting to run a 100. Don't lose hope. All is possible. You may have to modify your diet. Take care of your Na, K, Mg balance. Fortunately I have a doctor who insists I DON'T take diuretics because he just thinks it's BS for MM but they do seem to help some people.