New Poll - What triggers you're Meniere's?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Caribbean, Mar 5, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

?

Please choose one, and feel free to comment.

1. Salt

11 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. Stress

35 vote(s)
    34.7%
  3. Caffeine

7 vote(s)
    6.9%
  4. Alcohol

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  5. Allergies

3 vote(s)
    3.0%
  6. Menstruation

3 vote(s)
    3.0%
  7. Visual stimuli

6 vote(s)
    5.9%
  8. Changes in barometric pressure

25 vote(s)
    24.8%
  9. Orgasm

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other - Please elaborate?

10 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

It seems to be a two horse race! with Stress leading, closely followed by Changes in barometric pressure, gaining fast on the rail...

2. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

bump do to renewed interest in barometric pressure...

3. CdnTBear

CdnTBear Every minute spent in anger is a minute wasted

I meant to say this before ... you did a great job with this poll, Larry. And great for Newbies to see some of the triggers outlined - may even be a few things they haven't considered before.

I'm sure you saw my recent post about baro pressure. My #1 trigger is baro pressure ... and it's worsening. More ear pain/pressure, louder tinnitus, more intense & longer lasting vertigo ... urrgghh.

And today we've got rain with wind gusts of up to 45 mph .... Lord help me

4. nuthatch

nuthatch New Member

agree stress and barometric pressure are my two biggies. interesting to see all the comments. as far as orgasm, i think it's getting there that causes trouble...nothing like lying flat on your back and being hit by a wave of dizziness and the guy either thinks he just did something wonderful or is scared to death. (i know, it doesn't always have to be missionary position) :(

5. momcmb

momcmb New Member

Salt, hypoglycemia, stress and caffiene are my main triggers. The weather sometimes - just depends are what is going on around here in South Louisiana. Orgasm never, however, have been afraid it would happen, but it hasn't yet and hopefully never will.

Christina

6. Daize

Daize New Member

stress, fatigue, season sinusitis, barometetric pressure...ugggh, hate that one!

7. holding on

holding on New Member

I listed mine as other. My mm has a life and mind of its own!!!

8. tipsy

tipsy New Member

How about all of the above, except alcohol and orgasm, plus NOISE. That's actually my biggest trigger. Alcohol seems to help me.

9. SahmTam

SahmTam Tammy

Dietary restrictions seem to have no impact. I haven't been able to identify triggers as to what starts an attack, but 3 things come to mind that make it worse... heat, stress and kids being difficult/noisy.

10. Terri-Lee

Terri-Lee New Member

How bout all of the above....(except for orgasm - lucky me). I voted for stress because that's when I find all the symptoms seem to weigh in. But for vertigo/dizzyness, I find anytime I'm expected to maintain balance; like walking up the stairs, or getting around in the dark, or standing on a chair, or sitting perched on a stool. These kinds of things always trigger a vertigo episode with me. The worst I can remember was trying to ride a motorcycle in one of the virtual arcade centers (my son really wanted me to give it a shot) - I was instantly sick and dizzy; fell over, and couldn't walk for a full 10 mins afterward...it was SO intense!

Looking forward to the final results - thanks for the post!

11. Beth

Beth New Member

Great thread Larry!! Can't believe I missed this when it first came out. I would have to rate mine in this order:

Tied for 1st and 2nd place--Visual stimuli and changes in barometric pressure. These 2 are GUARANTEED to mess with my head. Driving or shopping with things moving past me, and watching my daughter's volleyball tournaments get me everytime.
    3rd--caffeine (drinking a soda for me since I don't drink tea or coffee)
    4th--allergies, AND I'm adding hypoglycemia here
    5th--some parts of sex, mainly position changes, but luckily NOT orgasm- that actually makes everything better again! LOL (sorry if this is TMI, but it WAS one of the choices...)
    6th--alcohol- I rarely drink, but when I do I feel dizzy AND out-of-control; not a good combo. Wine is worse than beer. The only exception to this is a tropical fruit drink I had for a week in Jamaica; can't remember what it was called but I had no problems surviving off that and the jerk chicken for a week... ;D

12. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Interesting to see that out of 100 votes so far (37%) claim stress the #1 Trigger and (25%) claim that barometric pressure is the culprit! - With none of the other's even remotely close...

13. June

June New Member

I also find it interesting that neither of those things was mentioned to me by my oto's.

14. CdnTBear

CdnTBear Every minute spent in anger is a minute wasted

Barometric pressure was the FIRST trigger that my Neurotologist mentioned on my first visit with him, before I even mentioned that I'd noticed problems with that! He said that I'd notice that it would affect all my symptoms: vertigo, more ear pressure, louder tinnitus, etc. He was dead on the mark. It's my #1 trigger.

15. luckyswife

luckyswife New Member

EVERYTHING...I can't figure it out.

16. tm53

tm53 New Member

I did not vote for my number one and two triggers as I have removed caffiene and am now on a controlled sodium diet (my number one and two, not necessarily in that order).

With those two under control, that left stress as my current number one trigger.

17. Beth

Beth New Member

Sounds like we should be going to THIS neurotologist!!

18. goldie

goldie me and joshua

For me I know its stress and #2 weather changes, salt

19. jrzyrock

jrzyrock New Member

Biggest trigger is when my neck is hurting. I can also go for a nice spin about 3-5 seconds after some salt intake.

20. Donna D

Donna D New Member

You didn't list motion. Do others have attacks from bouncing or rocking?