New Poll - What triggers you're Meniere's?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Caribbean, Mar 5, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

?

Please choose one, and feel free to comment.

1. Salt

11 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. Stress

35 vote(s)
    34.7%
  3. Caffeine

7 vote(s)
    6.9%
  4. Alcohol

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  5. Allergies

3 vote(s)
    3.0%
  6. Menstruation

3 vote(s)
    3.0%
  7. Visual stimuli

6 vote(s)
    5.9%
  8. Changes in barometric pressure

25 vote(s)
    24.8%
  9. Orgasm

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other - Please elaborate?

10 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

However, not all episodes of Meniere's disease can be attributed to triggers.

Poll could be interesting, lets see where it goes... ;)

2. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

stress and fatigue

3. justcallmedizzy

justcallmedizzy New Member

I'm glad to know I'm not the only barometer head on here! :D ;D I know mine is definitely caused by barometer changes, salt, stress, elevation changes (going thru mountains) and too much caffeine.

4. jim1884again

jim1884again advocating baldness be recognized as a disability

stress, allergies I would guess, my own immune system's response to both

I WISH orgasm was the trigger and the only trigger--then the cost benefit ratio would be well worth it!!!

will be interesting to see how many people select that as a trigger

5. June

June New Member

I clicked barometric pressure but humidity figures in there somehow too for me.

6. sjwo1

sjwo1 Hiking Utah

Nothing. Has a mind of its own.

7. Andrea1962

Andrea1962 New Member

I clicked on Menstruation as it is #1 but all of the others definitely trigger me.

8. MedievalWriter

MedievalWriter Ryan's Rose Pvt Ryan Winslow KIA Iraq 4-2006

Stress is my number one, visual stimuli is my number two.

Orgasms can trigger MM attacks? That is the most depressing thing I have ever heard.

9. charlesj

charlesj New Member

chocolate and rapid head movement

10. Cara

Cara New Member

Orgasm??? Is that for real???

11. candigrl63

candigrl63 New Member

stress for sure.

12. jim1884again

jim1884again advocating baldness be recognized as a disability

some people say that different "positions" have set them off and with the signifcant physiological changes that occur during and post orgasm I wouldn't be surprised if someone claims it is a trigger

13. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Orgasm:

A few MM'ers report that orgasm will trigger Meniere's Disease symptoms. The actual number of people so affected is hard to know because many people consider the subject to be "taboo" in polite conversations. but over the net in a poll with its confidentiality ... lets see.

14. CdnTBear

CdnTBear Every minute spent in anger is a minute wasted

Hey Larry,

I always love your posts ... and what an exellent poll!!

I had a very hard time picking my #1. I picked barometric pressure; but I'd have to say that I'm really tied between pressure and salt. I get instaneous reactions with both (vertigo, off/balance, sometimes nausea). I picked barometric pressure as #1 choice because I get more pressure/pain in ears in addition to other symptoms.

And with salt, I don't mean a little bit of cheating, I mean if I have a very high sodium meal: Soup & bacon bits on salad & loaded baked potato (you get the drift). Then I start bobbing and weaving.

Visual stimuli is also a trigger ... but not as severe now that I've changed diuretics, and effects don't last long. Stress/anxiety is also sure to exascerbate symptoms, but I don't get vertigo JUST because I'm feeling stressed or anxious. If I'm already symptomatic, then stress will make it worse.

Christine

15. CdnTBear

CdnTBear Every minute spent in anger is a minute wasted

Sorry, I'm still half asleep. I forgot to add something under the category of OTHER. Noise is also a trigger for me -- triggers vertigo (Tullio's Phenomenon).

16. Goomeri Spinner

Goomeri Spinner New Member

When I got vertigo the only major trigger I really noticed was stress and fatigue...and not just bad stress, the good sort as well :( Many a time I didn't get to go out and have fun cause I had an attack as I was getting ready.

I didn't notice the barometric pressure then but do now...it really ups the pressure feeling I get, plus visual stimuli and allergies (didn't have allergies until much later in my MM "career" ;D )

Salt has never been a trigger for me (or orgasm :D )

17. fcclimber

fcclimber New Member

I clicked menstruation, because in the last 2-3 years I'm always guaranteed to have a couple of attacks that week. But I also have the random - no trigger - attacks throughout the month. No rhyme or reason in 30 years. :D My perimenopause symptoms also started 2-3 years ago - about the same time that I started having 'predictable' attacks during my period.

18. burd

burd New Member

Fragrances, chemical odors, new products off-gassing (plastics, building materials, leather treatments, etc), dustmites, dust, pollens, smoke from any source, pet dander, etc., etc. Anything in the air that isn't air. And dairy products. And too much visual stimuli.

19. Buffy-Again

Buffy-Again New Member

My two biggest triggers that I have figured out so far are barametric pressure and Menustration.....I feel sick if I drink too much water at one time, but it has never caused me to have a dizzy spell.

Buffy

20. barcl003

barcl003 Guest

Sex makes my MM better. Helps with migraines too. :)