New here

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Nikki, Oct 9, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Nikki

Nikki New Member

Hello to everyone on this board. You are very nice people and I already feel welcomed. I can not work anymore because of menieres. I have been reading this forum for a while and just decided to join. I have had all the wonderful tests and now I live like everyone else on a low salt diet, and I have even given up smoking (darn!). I am taking a diuretic and can't pass a toilet ever now, and I take diazepam when needed which is every 4 or so hours. I've had two drop attacks in the past 4 months and noises bother my ears terribly. I wish I could stick a pin in my ear to relieve the pressure.
    I find it very hard that people don't understand what I go through day in and day out. So I stay to myself and pray that this disease either take me or leave me. I don't care which.

Wobbles said I should introduce myself, but I am very shy about doing so. I never used to be shy. Now I even question my friendships if they were really there.
    Thank you for reading my story.
    Nik

2. minnesotadizzy

minnesotadizzy New Member

Welcome Nikki,

This is a great site and an active one. You are not alone here... I know how you are feeling and there is no need to be shy with group. If you ever have a question... ask it. Everyone will be willing to help out any way they can.

It is very hard to go through this day in and day out... if you have people in your life that understand, it does make it alittle easier. But, you know I don't care what the rest think, if they have a hard time believing it then I guess they have a bigger problem than I.

You should check out Tucker (Danny's) DVD on his photographic journey of what we go through... the white noise will help others understand. It will drive them crazy for 18 minutes, just like you go through 24 hours.

I hope things can get better for you and all of the others here...

Dave

3. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Hi Nikki and welcome!!

Don't be shy. It sounds like you will fit right in.

4. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

Nikki, perhaps you are shy. Pehaps you are hurting. I have become reclusive as the disease has progressed, but I am still me and I have good people in my live. THose who do not try to understand are not in my life. Welcome to the forum Thanks to Joe for giving you a push.
    Paul

5. Bergie

Bergie New Member

Hi Nikki and Welcome to the board!!

You are not alone...remember that! We are all here to support each other and we are all "family!" ;) If you have any questions...just ask! We have a SEARCH too that you can use and hopefully our chat room will be up and running also...soon. (We had a crash recently so things are not quite up and running 100%...but neither are we..right?)
    No reason to be shy here either!!!

Welcome again!
    Bergie

PS...Joe is Wobbles that gardenfish is talking about. Both great guys here on the forum. :) I think they might be at home too!! ;) :)

6. rev

rev New Member

Welcome Nikki,
    No need to be shy around here. Most of us share the same frustrations and feelings. Many of us have lost many of the friends that we thought would be there. I have made some good ones here - and they truly share the understanding of what each of us is going through. Sometimes I find myself becoming something of a hermit. Hearing loss, dizziness etc, makes it difficult to function in the outside world.
    Glad you are trying to minimize the effects with your lifestyle changes. That is a difficult part for us.

Welcome!
    rev

7. Gwendelyn

Gwendelyn New Member

Welcome Nikki,

I'm glad you desided to join us :)

Gwen

8. cowcollector

cowcollector Don't hug a tree, hug a cow!!

welcome Nikki darlin,
    dont be shy, i certainly am not ;D ;D

glad you found us!

9. etlani

etlani New Member

Hi Nikki,

I'm new here, too, and have just been reading through all of the other newbie comments. I'm considered shy and soft-spoken, and it makes it a lot harder to be around people when you have to strain to hear them, or have to keep asking people to repeat what they said (and often you don't understand that, either!) All I can say is that writing is an ideal forum--you'll never have to say "What did you say?" or, "Please repeat that" here. So, let's make a bargain. Let's both throw caution to the wind and make some new friends! For me, getting the support of people who understand is already lifting that barrier of reverve. From what I've read, everyone is supportive and helpful and caring.

Among friends,
    Sue

10. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

Hi Nikki,

Welcome to the forum - I'm glad Joe gave you a little nudge. Hopefully you'll find that although a little shy in the world, you can be as open as you'd like here. We won't judge. Stick around and you'll find yourself part of one big (and slightly wacky) family - the very best kind.

Amethyst

And hi to you too Sue - great to meet you.

:)

11. TracyInIndy

TracyInIndy Guest

Nik,

Welcome to the forum. It might help you to find what triggers your symptoms. Start a symptom journal.

Record:
    When you eat
    What you eat
    What meds you take
    When you take the meds
    Your MM symptoms and changes thru the day (times)
    Stress levels
    Menstruation

Food allergies are a fairly common trigger for MM especially gluten (wheat & other grains) and dairy. If your symptoms usually get worse after eating the same type of meal then you can try eliminating that food from your diet. If you eliminate an allergen it should give you some relief with in a week or two at the most.

Common triggers:
    Sodium
    MSG
    Stress
    Fatigue
    Wheat
    Dairy

Less common but reported triggers:
    Nicotine
    Seasonal allergies
    Hormones
    Alcohol
    Caffeine
    Other inhalant allergies
    Other food allergies
    Weather

Good luck, Tracy

12. 2DAMNDIZZY

2DAMNDIZZY New Member

Hi Nik,
    Welcome!!!! Glad you finally decided to introduce yourself. We are all like a big family here. Please post whenever you want to. We talk about EVERYTHING on here!!! ;D

Maggie

13. Stacey3048

Stacey3048 New Member

Hi Nik and welcome to the forum! :)

We have a wonderful diverse group of people here with varied stages of Meniere's Disease. Please make yourself at home and welcome to the "family"! :)

Stacey

14. Robyn

Robyn Russell the Wombat

Hey Nikki

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum!! ;D

15. Goomeri Spinner

Goomeri Spinner New Member

G'day Nik and welcome to our dizzy family and a second g'day to Sue and welcome to you too :D

Don't be shy either of you ::) and as others have said...we aren't ;D

Ask away and remember you are never alone with all of us crazy folks here ;D

Maggie

16. saltlesstears

saltlesstears New Member

Hey-Hi Nikki (and Hi too Sue) o need to be shy here, just wanted to add another Welcome and give a big HOWDY and pleased to meet you both!-Yvonne

17. marlyn56

marlyn56 New Member

HI NIKKI,

I'M A NEWBIE ALSO. I JOINED THE FORUM ALMOST 2 WEEKS AGO. SINCE I'VE JOINED I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER. I DON'T FEEL SO ALONE. THE PEOPLE HERE ARE GREAT, I'VE GOTTEN SO MUCH ENCOURAGEMENT AND INFORMATION. THERE IS NEVER A STUPID QUESTON, SOMEONE ALWAYS HAS AN ANSWER. GLAD YOU JOINED !! MARLYN56

18. jabber

jabber New Member

Hi Nikki and hi to you too Sue, glad you've both decided to join this dizzy group guaranteed-- you'll both be glad you did. Welcome and here's hoping we'll be hearing lots from the both of you. Hugs-- Loretta