New Here

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Daddys Girl, Oct 5, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Daddys Girl

Daddys Girl New Member

Hi All! I am here to try to help my dad cope with his new change in lifestyle...a low salt one. He was diagnoised with Meniere's yesterday. He started having symptoms a long time ago, and came to a head in July while driving home from Canada with my sister and her friend.

After a nice vacation on the lake, they were driving back late at night in the dark (1am) and he got a dizy spell, put the truck in the ditch spun around on the highway and was facing the opisite way he was going...He had totally blacked out. He went to the doctor and they did a serious of test since July and were unable to tell him what was wrong...had ideas of brain tumors, blood vessel problems, etc....Yesterday much to our relief it's Meniere's not a brain tumor.

I know he doesn't have it as bad as some as its only in his left ear and he only has occational bouts of it. My dad is a very active man. Has a physical job, enjoys hunting and outdoors. Can anyone give me ideas to help him with his eating and salt intake...foods that are good but low in sodium. He has a very big appitiate and likes chips, and salted cashews etc.... Any advice or grocery lists would be appreciated!!!

Thanks

2. minnesotadizzy

minnesotadizzy New Member

Hey Daddys Girl,

Boy, when I read your story it hit home for me. I have been feeling sick for a couple of years and they finally have figured it out for me too. I was a very active person just like your Dad. Boy, nobody could keep me in a chair.

I am 46 years old and it has been hard for me and it will be for your Dad also. There is no way around it.... I have not driven since May of this year. I can not take a chance again or at least for now in my life. I have not fished for a year now or gone camping this year.

He will have good days and he will be very active on those "Good" ones and then there are days like today for me and I can't do anything. I, too was a salt junkie... salt in a shell peanuts, plain potato chips, sunflower seeds, seasoning salt, Bloody Marys or my God... I loved it!! He will have to change to un-salted nuts, rice cakes, fresh fruit, lots of veggies and fresh meat.

I am on the same thing with no caffefine.... God! He will have to make his meals from scratch and learn to cook with herbs. That has been a challenge for us, but it has gotten better. Once a month.. I treat myself to a "Bad Meal".

If you need any help ask... Good luck. There are good days ahead too not just bad days!!

Dave

3. Gwendelyn

Gwendelyn New Member

Hi Daddys Girl,

You can try our Lovely Kitchen Board at the bottom of the page or through this link.
    http://www.menieres.org/forum/index.php?board=6.0

Unforunately our forum crashed a little while ago and we lost most of our reciepes but the Kitchen board is a good start.

Gwen

4. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Hello Daddys Girl and welcome -

I mostly read labels and attempt to stay around 1500 mgs a day. It works for me.

5. Dixie Chick

Dixie Chick New Member

I just wanted to welcome you to the family and glad to see that your dad has some one that cares about him.
    You can come here any time and ask any question they will be answered in some way or another.
    I have cut out my salt but not all the way. I do treat my self to a bad meal once in a while. But salt dosent bother me as much as some. and for the caffefine I drink my tea every morning. And dosent seem to bother me much. But what is funny is that sweets do bother me if I eat too much.
    Well any way welcome to the family

6. sparksmith

sparksmith New Member

Welcome Daddy's Girl!

I know your Dad will be just fine. He has a daughter like you to help him along. I am blessed with a family that loves me and a forum family that makes me feel loved too. Yet there are days when it is all just too much. When those days hit your Dad, Love him through it and come here for support. We want to help those with MM or any dizzy problem. (I don't have meniere’s but I can not be cured either)
    AND we want to help those that support. If you can get him to, have your Dad post. There lots of Men here from all walk’s of life. Some he will identify with right off.
    If not, then you come here for support any way.

God Bless,
    Mike

7. cdedie

cdedie Designed by DizzyNBlue

Welcome! Here are a few links about lo so:
    http://oto.wustl.edu/men/sodium.htm

http://www.lowsaltfoods.com/welcome.htm

http://dmoz.org/Home/Cooking/Special_Diets/Low_Salt/

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes.php?categ=occasion%2Cdietary%2Clow-sodium%2Cmain-dish

Good luck to your family.

8. Leon

Leon New Member

Welcome Daddy's Girl,
    The first thing my doctor told me was 'Cut way back on the sodium'. I have tried, but must have salt on my french fries, chips, and pretzels. Best wishes to your dad. Maybe he can read some of our posts or you can print them for him.
    Leon