New article published in "Hearing Health" on Menieres Disease

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by solari, Apr 12, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. solari

solari Administrator Staff Member

Folks,

Recently, the folks at the Deaf Research Foundation asked me to write a sidebar story about coping with Meniere's Disease to accompany their doctor's story about the disease itself. They wanted it to be something positive, showing that folks can survive with it somehow. I readily complied and sent it in a month ago. Looks like it's now in print -- I received their magazine in the mail today so it's live, which means I can "reprint" it on Menieres.org now.

It's nothing fancy -- it's rather short and sweet, but can hopefully give some folks hope in fighting the disease. Plus, some of you can show it to your friends and family to give them a good idea of what you're going through. I also wrote it to give Menieres.org a bit of publicity so more sufferers can find us, knowing that we've got a great group of support folks right here. :)

The article is on our front page now and you can read it here:

http://www.menieres.org/hearinghealth-menieres.html

If you're at all interested in the Hearing Health magazine, you should check it out and subscribe to it. It's free and mailed out all over the country. The URL to the magazine is in the article above.

Hope all is well and stay spin free!

Ray

2. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Brings back many memories Ray, and so true, the "BEAST" can be held at bay if you follow the treatment remedy's that so many of us have found to be successful right here on this site!

Thanks for the post...

Be well / Larry

3. June

June New Member

Thanks Ray. Excellent article. And thank you for this support group. It has helped me immensely in dealing with and improving my hearing loss. I will look into the magazine.

4. peggoins

peggoins Stop the world from spinning!!

Good Job on the article Ray that just about says it all.. Take care Peg

5. GinaMc

GinaMc Me and my friend Sally :)

Ray that is an excellent article and will really explain to people out there that may just be started with MM and will be able to relate to what your article says and will be able to find all the wonderful ppl here at Meineres.org

Thanks for sharing it with all of us... and thank you for this great place to come and share our stories, it has helped me tremendously.

Gina

6. LisaB

LisaB New Member

Great article, Ray.
    I don't know what I would have done without the support I found here. Lisa

7. Bergie

Bergie New Member

THANK YOU!

8. sandra

sandra New Member

What a great wonderful article Ray. It does bring back memories not good ones either. Hugs to you.
    Sandra

9. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Ray -

Thank you for all you do and for the support this site provides!

10. jim1884again

jim1884again advocating baldness be recognized as a disability

Thank you Ray

11. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Excellent article Ray. And thanks once again for this amazing forum.

Lee.

12. Willie Marie

Willie Marie New Member

Great article. By the way, thanks so much for the forum. It has been more help than I could ever express.
    Willie Marie

13. annegina

annegina New Member

Thank you Ray. This forum has been the source of every good thing in dealing with MM. Don't know what I would have done without it. Reading your article is just another positive reinforcement!!!

Thanks and God Bless

Carol

14. Its Back

Its Back New Member

Thank you. It says it all.
    I am going to print it out and give it to a few people you just don't understand what we are going through.

15. JessiesGirl

JessiesGirl New Member

Brilliant. You nailed it dead on, and have done all of us a service by doing so. Thanks for sharing!

16. goldie

goldie me and joshua

Thank you so much Ray. That says it all

17. lizzy

lizzy Relax and enjoy the view

Thank you for the great article and for this great forum. It has literally shaped my treatment plans.

And I'll never forget my first BIG vertigo attack either. Eight hours of topsy turvy stomach jolting upset wondering if it will ever stop.

Reading the boards, seeking support, finding the best docs available....keeping on the go no matter what the fearful brain suggests is the best medicine. Go. Do. Live.

Last night I went to my first amplified sound theater since my first attack in a theater one year ago. My granddaughter was in Les Mis and i wasn't going to miss it so.....I had three different types of ear plugs which I experimented with while the orchestra tuned up. The best pair was the softer goey kind that I played with til I got them just right. So a little white goey stuff stuck to my hair like a white bubble gum....It was just a little noticeable with the Bose earphones clamped tightly to my head. When the battle scenes roared, I did get some big ole pulsatile tinnitus but today it is down to doable and I got to see a great play done by enthusiastic students. Worth all the funny looks I got messing with my ears, hair and earphones...we just gotta keep trying to live our lives.

18. Ifishdizzy

Ifishdizzy New Member

Ray,

Outstanding article...and it very well explains to those unaware of Meniere's about this monster we live with daily.

Like you, I won't give up my business either, and even with the best medicines available, it sure is a struggle some days just to get by.

ISO

19. susiemess

susiemess New Member

Thank you Ray for explaining exactly what all of us are living with! Your first vertigo attack brought back memories for me and I was only 14 at the time; scared and upset with what was happening to me. I wouldn't open my eyes because the room was endlessly spinning and I would throw up each time. My hearing was gone and I had a horrible loud roaring sound in my ears. The doctors during that time (1959) didn't know what was wrong with me. But they finally decided it could be Meniere's but they knew very little about the disease and really didn't know how to treat it. It took me two weeks to come out my first vertigo attack and some hearing came back in about two months. I was fitted with a hearing aid and told to learn to live with this for the rest of my life. I've seen many doctors who have helped me get through this. I chose to live in the hearing world that came with lots of ups and downs through out my life. But I'm 63 now and have learned to live with this 'beast' as best I can. This forum is wonderful place to come to remind me that I'm not alone. We can all stand strong and whip this "beast" with the right attitude, medication, surgery and exercise. It's so hard for people on the outside to understand what we are going through and I intend to print your article and show it to my husband. Thanks again

20. KatiePA

KatiePA New Member

Great article, Ray. And many, many thanks for providing this forum. It has been invaluable in so many ways.

Katie