need some advice (not mm related)

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by AmandaJ, Sep 29, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. AmandaJ

AmandaJ New Member

as many of you know i used to suffer from an eating disorder it's always there in the back of my mind i just choose to fight it but at the moment i am struggling ,having hypothyroiditis has made me put on weight (yeah i needed it ) first time in my life i have been my ideal weight which is 9st 5lbs (can't convert it ) which is great because it's healthy but it makes me realise that in the last 3 months i have puut on over a stone in weight and i'm worried about putting on more because i already have those nagging comments and thought s in m head and i have started to exercise not sensible when i'm too tired all the time to do anything but it's in my head i need to do it,maybe i should have said more to the doc today when i was in there i think she thought i was joking around when i told her if i put on any more weight then i wouldn't be happy i'm sick of opeople saying oh don't you look healthy because it's not what i hear,i look in the mirror and all i can see is where i have gained the weightt, do you think i should go back and explain to the doc how i really feel and make her listen or try and fight this again with the help of my friends,i know to some this may seem trivial or stupid but it's really getting me down.

2. TracyInIndy

TracyInIndy Guest

Amanda,

This is not trivial! This is extremely important. Please, Please let the doc know just how intense your feelings are. If this doc doesn't understand than find another one who does! If you want a reason for why you should I suggest you look at the picture in your siggy!

Many Hugs, Tracy

3. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

this is important because it is about your health and wellbeing. It appears that you are fighting this alone and you need someone who speaks the language of help.
    Paul

4. Gwendelyn

Gwendelyn New Member

Amanda,

Go get help!!!
    This is not something you can fight on your own. With each step you take down that path it becomes more and more difficult to turn back. I'm sure you know that when you go from thinking to doing its time to ask for help. It is not a battle you can win on your own and there is nothing to be a shamed of. You are not alone.

Gwen

5. Erosangel

Erosangel New Member

Let the Dr know you have enough to deal with with MM. You should not have to deal with even more. The stress alone is not good for you.

6. ripper roo

ripper roo lisa

amanda

i agree with the other you need to tell the dr how you feel
    this isnt soomething that you can do alone and if
    you know that alarm bells are allready ringing in you head about your weight
    then now is the time to act

lisa

7. AmandaJ

AmandaJ New Member

ty guys i am crying reading this because i put on such a great front ( i think i do) BUT IT IS SERIOUS I HAVE TO TALK TO DO c blinking keys eh!

8. Bergie

Bergie New Member

Amanda...I think you answered your own question and you know what to do....you just need someone to tell you. Yes, tell the dr about your thoughts and how you are feeling and struggling with this.

This is not something you should hide.

Good Luck sweetie!!

{HUGS!!}

9. survivedit

survivedit New Member

Definitely see the doc on this one. Anything that is so on your mind should be discussed with the doc, so they can get you headed in the right direction.

Good luck

BTW - 9 st + 5 is 131 pounds here in the US.

Bob W

10. Leon

Leon New Member

Amanda,
    I must echo those who posted ahead of me. This is serious and it will be extremely difficult to cope with alone. I would recommend professional mental health provider for the eating disorder. Just remember, you are not a bad person trying to be good, your are a sick person trying to be well. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Leon

11. rev

rev New Member

Amanda,
    Leon and the others have offered the same advice I would give. Especially with the stress of stopping the cigs, you probably will need to make sure the doc understands how important and serious you are. Remember, we are here.

12. Andrea1962

Andrea1962 New Member

I am with everyone else on this. Weight is just a number; I am not sure how tall you are but 9st 5 lbs is 131lbs, a healthy weight for any number of heights.

Mental health is a better thermometer of how you are doing; please take care and don't be afraid to seek out the help you need.

13. AmandaJ

AmandaJ New Member

WELL THANKYOU GUYS, i have to go docs on monday anyway and have decided to make sure i get to see the doc i want to,not one that just thinks i'm joking ,i just hate psych's and i know that's where i'll be but it's gotta be done before i damage myself anymore than i have done over the years ,i have chucked out the scales too because that doesn't help just makes me more obsessive.

14. feelbizarre

feelbizarre New Member

Hi Amanda,
    No what you have is not trivial at all. I also suffered from an eating disorder, anorexia, when I was a teen. This was way before it was ever identified as a disorder. I almost died from it. My thoughts are that it is triggered by anxiety and becomes a manifestation of obsessive compulsive disorder. Being that you are trying to quit smoking, your anxiety level is heightened and it is probably triggering the thoughts again. I remember it all too well and probably given the right set of circumstances could easily fall back into my old ways. I have had minor relapses since then. I know exactly what you mean by looking in the mirror...we view ourselves much differently than the outside world percieves us. Every difference seems magnified in our minds. Then comes the eating less and exercising more and more and as we start to lose the weight we don't see it or convince ourselves that we can become thinner...if only I eat less and do more.
    Very vicious cycle and at it's worse we lose all control.
    Since it has become more well known, there are alot of treatment options out there. Cognitive, anti-anxiety meds and whatnot are all available now and I think you should definitely talk to your doctor. In the states, they prescribe Wellbutrin to many people who are trying to stop smoking. Maybe it could also help with some of your itis's too. I had a wealth of med problems myself back then that were probably more a result of the anorexia then from anything else.
    There is nothing to be ashamed of.

Joanne

15. charisse

charisse Been hanging here for 8 years

Hey sweety,

I didn't read the others posts, but I'm sure they all said go make someone listen. Eating disorders can be serious so you need to attack it now. never feel ashamed about it, you didn't ask for it. :-*

16. Peanut Brittle

Peanut Brittle My Twerple Has My Heart

Manda, I echo the others and also want to recommend some "interim" helpers/things that helped me years back.

Do you have someone you could give your scale to for awhile? Actually give someone physical "possession" of it, because if you're anything like I was you'll just pull it out from anywhere you've put it "out of the way." Use only ONE scale to weigh yourself, and that scale would be the one in your primary care provider's office. To this day I do not keep a scale in my house.

If you have any full-length mirrors/or more than vanity mirrors... delegate those, too, to your friend who has the scales. Limit mirrors to vanity sized only. That way, when you see your reflection in windows, --other objects that are not mirrors-- you can (if you have to say it out loud, that's ok) tell yourself that those objects distort body image and what you see reflected is not accurate.

Are you near a university that might have a women's services department? They might very well have a support group or peer group or individual counselors, peer counselors-- very familiar with/specific to, eating disorders. Not quite as "impersonal" as a "shrink."

Have you read, "Feeding the Hungry Heart" by Geneen Roth? It's available in paperback. I loaned my copy otherwise I'd send it to you.

I'm glad you'll be seeing the doc on Monday. Please keep us posted about this. I'm sure you've heard "the drill," but anoriexia-- any eating disorder-- is nothing to fool around with-- and can wreak havok with your physical health. I've got a "prolapsed mitro-valve" in my heart that my doc credits to my anorexic years in my 30s and 40s.

Here's to better days ahead!
    Jenski

17. cdedie

cdedie Designed by DizzyNBlue

Amanda just gonna say don't stress over weight. If you had an eating disorder before you may still "see" yourself as heavy even tho you aren't. Pic's I've seen of you - you look fine! Remember to have good self talk.

Good luck luv! Hugs to ya!

18. AmandaJ

AmandaJ New Member

well i saw my doc and had a good chat ,talked about healthy diet and stuff and that the weight gain will stop and i should stay at a healthy weight from now on in as i have my tablets for the thyroid,and that there is a group i can go to which would be a good idea,and to see how i get along with that to start ,she thinks it could be the case that i'm so run down and tired all the time anxiety and stressing about everything that i pick on the one thing i always have done even though i am for the first time in my life a healthy weight,which was my target for 2 years ago and although i feel the way i do she said i should write down that i reached my target i made it to what i wanted to be 2 years ago and maybe that should help me feel better too,but i will go talk to the group and see how things go from there,thankyou guys sooooo much :-*

19. cdedie

cdedie Designed by DizzyNBlue

Good luck and positive thinking! ;) ;) :-* :-*

20. TracyInIndy

TracyInIndy Guest

Amanda,

I'm so glad your doc listened to you. The group sounds like it a good idea.

Keep us updated. Those 3 beautiful children deserve a heathly mom!

Tracy