Need help gaining weight FAST!

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by HeatherB, Oct 28, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. HeatherB

HeatherB New Member

I was a healthy weight when I was diagnosed with MM. Since then and going low sodium, the pounds have melted off.... unfortunately I didn't have them to spare. I have lost more than 5% of my body weight in the last couple months and seriously need to put them back on as I am now quite a bit underweight.

Anyone know of any HIGH calorie yet low sodium foods?

I also find it hard to eat when I am nauseas so often. Am I alone in my starving to death?

2. snkrey1211

snkrey1211 New Member

I can't tell you the sodium content...but milkshakes or powder protein to add to milk (some taste almost like milkshake) Those are two things that help add some weight. Oh...even protein bars..mind you, they don't taste so hot! :)

Sheryl

3. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

protein shakes
    bread, pasta, foods high in starch

4. snkrey1211

snkrey1211 New Member

Heather....Aladdin is right about the bread and pasta...my backside has gained a ton of weight back there! LOL!

Sheryl

5. Shining

Shining "knowing is half the battle" ~~~GI Joe

*sighs* I am losing weight too rapidly, myself! I am diabetic and can't eat ANY of this weight-gaining stuff, either. I lost 7 pounds this last week alone. I hope it slows down! I understand that multiple small meals work...things like nuts that have protein and good fats.

6. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Ensure?

Glucerna? (for diabetics)

7. HeatherB

HeatherB New Member

I do drink the boost shakes but most bread has a lot of sodium in it. I just don't have the energy right now to bake some myself. I am also currently waiting for results back from a biopsy for celiac then my pcp wants to test for diabetes as there is more going on than just the MM they think.

Shining - Have you tried that pasta for diabetics? It's not the greatest but at least it would help.

8. Shining

Shining "knowing is half the battle" ~~~GI Joe

Heather,
    I can currently eat NO starches whatsoever. I eat lean meat and green vegetables only, with water or unsweetened ice tea. When I eat. The DreamFields pasta (black box) does have a lower glycemic index, but still too much for me. I hope you don't have diabetes! HORRIBLE disease! I was wondering if the peripheral neuropathy and microvascular damage that come from diabetes are the cause of some inner ear problems? Celiac disease would be very hard to live with, too. There is wheat hidden in EVERYTHING. Inflammation is another factor in MM, and allergies certainly play a part in that.

9. HeatherB

HeatherB New Member

Wow Shining, That it a very restrictive diet! What on earth do you eat for breakfast? Sorry that you have diabetes. I had gestational diabetes during my last pregnancy so I understand and truly feel for you. My fingers hurt from all the testing. :(

Going to get on the scale tomorrow and see if I have put on any weight with these past few days on porking out. It was hard to eat that much and I have felt miserable for these past few days but I can't waste away to nothing either. Hopefully the Dr will finally call me back with those biopsy results instead of making me wait another week until my appt!

10. Cara

Cara New Member

Heather........try "grazing", meaning nibbling all day long, keeping something on your stomach rather than trying to eat large meals. Try not to let your stomach become empty. I have dietary issues as well and this seems to do best for me to maintain a healthy weight.

11. jrw

jrw New Member

Know exactly how you feel about losing weight you can't afford to lose! I was recently diagnosed with gastroparesis, meaning my stomach muscles don't contract at normal speed, so food sits in the stomach too long, making more acid, giving nausea and a full feeling. Talked with the hospital's dietician. Most of her ideas included adding more sugar which wouldn't work for a diabetic, such as honey to tea, brown sugar to oatmeal, heavy syrup canned fruit instead of lite syrup. But she also included suggestions such as buying nonfat instant dry milk powder. It's got 12% protein and you add it to cereal, to your milk, and anything it'll blend into. Also use whole milk with your oatmeal/cereal and 2% for drinking rather than 1% or skim. Snack between meals. Nuts are high in fat and good for gaining weight, though get unsalted ones such as walnuts.

Luckily I'm on a motility drug that helps the stomach contract now, so I don't have to be quite so cautious about what I eat. Even gained a few pounds back, thank goodness.

12. DizzyDani47

DizzyDani47 this too shall pass...

I too lost tons of weight due to low sodium diet. One thing that helped me was to go get a Smoothie or make them...and add some soy protein powder to the mix. Smoothie King is my fast food stop!

13. muzicgirl

muzicgirl Of course, I'm the one in the blue bathing suite!

lots of fresh fruits - like pineapple are dense, with protein and fiber. add some granola - they make it gluten free, how about peanut butter?

14. Louise

Louise New Member

Hi HeatherB,

I know what you mean..I've been losing weight too on a low sodium diet -- and that's just with MM. And I'm naturally thin so people have noticed.

Going to the grocery store is like walking through a mine field -- all I see is danger danger danger.

I hadn't thought about the shakes though, so I'm going to try doing that..

Louise

15. tm53

tm53 New Member

Once you've gotten your nutrition for the day, sit down with a bag of gumdrops and a bottle of wine. Fun empty low sodium calories.

I'm only half kidding here! ;)

16. snkrey1211

snkrey1211 New Member

tm...you're kidding about the gumdrop part...right???? ;)

17. tm53

tm53 New Member

Farleys Spice drops 120 calories and 10 mg of sodium per serving! ;D

If it makes you feel better, go with Trader Joes or Whole Foods unsalted cashews ;)

18. Papajoe

Papajoe Myco-dental Freak of Nature

Heather, in doing research for my own condition, I discovered that people who suffer from celiac disease tend to lose weight and have a hard time gaining weight, and that made me think of your post. Have you been tested for celiac disease? If you have celiac, eating bread and pasta is the worst thing you can do.

Here is an excerpt from the book: "Food Allergies and Food Intolerance" by Jonathan Brostoff & Linda Gamlin
    Page 104:
    "Celiacs suffer from a characteristic flattening of the villi - little finger-like projections from the lining of the small intestine, whose role is to actively absorb important nutrients. This damage to the villi leads to malabsorption of nutrients, and so to weight loss and weakness - the untreated celiac is actually suffering from malnutrition."

Papa Joe

19. Lorrie K

Lorrie K New Member

I too have lost weight from the vomiting & nausea associated with the meniere's attacks, also from the low sodium diet. At 5'2" 108 lbs. I really didn't need to lose any weight. I was shocked when I saw a recent candid photo of myself taken on a "better" day helping in the kitchen at our town's annual Victorian Christmas luncheon. Shocking to see how thin I have become. Can't offer any advice but think I will try making smoothies.

20. trippen1999

trippen1999 New Member

i have the same problem,try lean mass builder sustained release anabolic protein its from GNC. it has 29g of protien and 60mg of sodium per scoop and you can take three or four scoops a day