NEED ADVICE, FACTORY WORK ?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by marlyn56, Oct 4, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. marlyn56

marlyn56 New Member

HI, I'M A NEWBIE. 6 WEEKS AGO I FOUND OUT I HAD MM. I'M ON MEDICAL LEAVE RIGHT NOW. I'M ON A LOW SALT DIET, DIURETIC AND XANAX. I FEEL PRETTY GOOD MOST DAYS WITH MILD DIZZY FEELINGS, I'VE HAD RINGING IN MY EARS FOR 4 YEARS. I WANT TO GO BACK TO WORK AND SEE IF I CAN KEEP UP AND STILL DO THE WORK. AT LEAST RUN OUT MY FMLA, IF I CAN'T. MY DR. WANTS ME TO GO ON DISIABILITY. BUT FOR ME, THATS NOT ENOUGH MONEY TO LIVE ON. I'M SO CONFUSSED AND AFRAID. HAS ANYONE OUT THERE BEEN ABLE TO CONTINUE TO WORK IN A FACTORY ENVIRONMENT WITH MM ? MARLYN56

2. rev

rev New Member

Marlyn,
    Sorry to find that you are in this boat with us! Everyone of us is different and many (maybe most) continue to be able to function at their job. Don't automatically think that this disease ends your career. The frequency of episodes and many other factors all contribute to how functional you will be. I'm a little surprised that the doctor is making a recommendation when there are other meds to try, other procedures that are possible.

Don't give up until you have exhausted all avenues of treatment. Hopefully the "database" can give you some options that you haven't yet tried.

3. cheese

cheese New Member

I agree with rev.

It seems strange that a doctor would recommend disability just 6 weeks into diagnosis.

My pop had menieres since he was about 30 and worked till he was 65 in a factory. Barely missed a day. Everyone is different

4. gerg

gerg New Member

Thats correct1
    Marlyn
    You are probably the best judge of your capablilities.
    I operate machinary and needed to take 1 month off
    during the worst phase of md. gradually I became more
    able to cope.
    So look at the severity of your ailment and whether you feel
    it will be detrimental or dangerous to your job.
    Take into consideration the meds you take and the effects
    on you and the severity of the dizziness you experience.
    Also as you said you have tinnitus, you need to use ear
    protection if your workplace is noisy because damage to
    the cochlea is accumulative.
    greg

5. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

Hello Marlyn. Wht are the doc's reasons for wanting you on disability? Gerg is correct. You know your body best.
    Paul

6. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Welcome Marlyn -

I agree with the others. It seems a bit early to be talking about disability, but only you can know how you feel.

And Gerg is 100% correct, if you continue to work, be sure to protect your ears.

7. sbtier

sbtier New Member

My uncle had MM and worked building Navy ships, as an electrician. He worked even after he went deaf from MM (deafness was common in the noisy environment because ear protection wasn't used back then).

8. pardonme

pardonme Guest

9. johnny pinwheel

johnny pinwheel New Member

this happened to me also. i was a sheetmetal worker. commercial construction , schools hospitals ,jails. before that i worked in a factory. no doctor will sign off with the menieres because if something happens a lawyer will be at their door.

10. marlyn56

marlyn56 New Member

I WANTED TO THANK EVERYONE FOR THEIR ADVICE AND OPINIONS. I'M NOT SURE WHY MY FAMILY DR. WANTS ME TO GO ON DISIABILITY. I THINK HE FEARS I'LL GET TO DIZZY AND HURT MYSELF AND HE'D BE RESPONSIBLE FOR RELEASING ME BACK TO WORK. THURSDAY I WENT BACK TO MY NEUROLOLOGIST AND TOLD HIM HOW MUCH BETTER I FELT WITH LOW SALT DIET AND WATER PILL. AND HE AGREED WITH ME, THAT IT WAS TO EARLY FOR ME TO BE ON DISABILITY AND SEEN NO REASON WHY I COULDN'T CONTINUE TO WORK. SO I SEEN MY FAMILY DR. TODAY AND HE REFUSES TO RELEASE ME TO GO BACK TO WORK UNTIL HE CAN TALK TO MY ENT DR. MONDAY. AND ASKED ME IF THERE WAS ANY JOB WHERE I WORK, THAT DIDN'T HAVE MOVING PARTS. I SAID NO ,IT'S A FACTORY ! HE WENT ON TO TELL ME HOW HARD IT IS TO GET DISABILITY AND IF I KEEP TRYING TO WORK IT'LL MAKE IT HARDER FOR ME TO GET IT. I'M SO MAD. I'VE ALREADY BEEN OFF 6 WKS AND ONLY HAVE 6 WKS OF FLMA LEFT, WHICH I'D LIKE TO USE ON A INTERMITTENT BASIS FOR WHEN I HAVE BAD DAYS. AFTER MY 12 WEEKS ARE UP, I GET INTO THEIR ATTENDANCE POLICY AND COULD END UP FIRED. KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED FOR ME THAT MY ENT DR. LETS ME GO BACK. I NEVER SEEN SUCH A MESS . BETWEEN A ROCK AND A HARD PLACE...........MARLYN56

11. cheese

cheese New Member

Sorry to hear that marlyn.

When my pop used to work in the factory i suppose that was in a litigation free era. As you and johnny pointed out, doctors are probably terrified of being held accountable if something serious was to happen whilst at work. Hopefully your neurologist will clear up the situation, and you'll be back sooner rather than later.