My Vitamin D3 Story So Far

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by shartsoe, Mar 3, 2012.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Okay, so I started vitamin D3 seven days ago. At first, I thought it would be like everything else I've tried and be ineffective. On the third day I experienced what can only be described as a total emotional shutdown. My entire body felt heavy, I cried alot and couldn't shake it off. I was very depressed and couldn't find pleasure in anything. After about 24 hours of this, I was tempted to quit the D3, thinking it was the culprit. Then, suddenly, it lifted and I felt better than my normal good, if that makes any sense. My energy levels are rising and I've been able to walk a mile each day for the past three days.

Today I noticed something new -- my gums quit bleeding. I've always had a problem with bleeding gums and the only think that helps is if I floss twice a day religiously (I know I should do it anyway, but I really, really hate flossing!) Today when brushing my teeth, there was no blood, despite the fact I haven't flossed in a couple of days (I know, ewww. I promise to get right back on it!) I have no idea if this is a coincidence, but there it is. Weird, huh?

I'm also drinking a half gallon of water a day and taking my Valtrex as I should. Until now, I've not been as good at taking it as I should be.

As I said after that seriously disappointing doctor's appointment, I'm motivated to take control of my health. Not just to overcome MM, but to be a good steward of whatever years I've been given.

Forgot to add I'm taking 5000 IU daily at my evening meal. (edited from 1000 in original post)

2. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I believe the dose is 5,000IUs daily.

I did not notice any dramatic improvement on a physical level even if my blood tests showed a massive increase after a year. I am nowhere near optimal levels, despite being on 5,000IUs.

Vitamin C helps bleeding gums.

3. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

You are correct. I am taking 5000 IUs. Sorry about that.

4. Angelea

Angelea New Member

That's great, Shannon! One of my colleagues recently went to a conference and listened to a series of talks on vitamin D. She came away convinced that most can benefit from taking 2000 IU daily.

You haven't happened to have started taking vitamin C recently, have you? A deficiency of C can cause your gums to bleed. I'm not recommending you take it if aren't already, just wondering. Given the wide range of roles that vitamin D appears to play in the body, it could very well have something to do with your gums getting better, too.

I bet the regular exercise is also helping with your mood. :)

5. Michael

Michael New Member

My freind Larry who is an MD says that Vitamin D3 deficiency is an epimdemic. I started taking about 3 weeks when I got a bone graft. I feel a lot better and have a lot more energy but it may have more to do with the fact that infection has cleared (reason for the bone graft). And I am off of the antibiotics. They really carpet bombed me those. Ugh.

6. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Angelea, I have not started taking vitamin C but plan to add it to my regimen along with B12. Just read this though.

"A study by the Boston University evaluated the association between vitamin D status and gingivitis. They analyzed data from 77,503 teeth in 6700 people in the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey and found that people with higher blood levels of vitamin D were less likely to experience bleeding gums during gingival probing."

7. Angelea

Angelea New Member

Well, there you go!

I know I will be unpopular for this, as many people here promote high dose vitamin C supplementation, but I think studies on the general benefits of megadosing on C have not proven any benefit. Just sayin'. ;-)

8. sirlanc

sirlanc New Member

Effects of vitamin D supplementation on symptoms of depression in overweight and obese subjects: randomized double blind trial.
    J Intern Med. 2008 Dec;264(6):599-609. Epub 2008 Sep 10.

CONCLUSIONS:
    It appears to be a relation between serum levels of 25(OH)D and symptoms of depression. Supplementation with high doses of vitamin D (20,000 to 40,000 IU per week) seems to ameliorate these symptoms indicating a possible causal relationship.

Abstract
    OBJECTIVES:
    The objective of the present study was to examine the cross-sectional relation between serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25-(OH) D] levels and depression in overweight and obese subjects and to assess the effect of vitamin D supplementation on depressive symptoms.

DESIGN:
    Cross-sectional study and randomized double blind controlled trial of 20,000 or 40,000 IU vitamin D per week versus placebo for 1 year.

SETTING:
    A total of 441 subjects (body mass index 28-47 kg m(-2), 159 men and 282 women, aged 21-70 years) recruited by advertisements or from the out-patient clinic at the University Hospital of North Norway.

MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES:
    Beck Depression Inventory (BDI) score with subscales 1-13 and 14-21.

RESULTS:
    Subjects with serum 25(OH)D levels < 40 nmol L(-1) scored significantly higher (more depressive traits) than those with serum 25(OH)D levels > or = 40 nmol L(-1) on the BDI total [6.0 (0-23) versus 4.5 (0-28) (median and range)] and the BDI subscale 1-13 [2.0 (0-15) versus 1.0 (0-29.5)] (P < 0.05). In the two groups given vitamin D, but not in the placebo group, there was a significant improvement in BDI scores after 1 year. There was a significant decrease in serum parathyroid hormone in the two vitamin D groups without a concomitant increase in serum calcium.

CONCLUSIONS:
    It appears to be a relation between serum levels of 25(OH)D and symptoms of depression. Supplementation with high doses of vitamin D seems to ameliorate these symptoms indicating a possible causal relationship.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18793245

9. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

What exactly is D3 acting upon that causes this change in mood? What is it that D3 does that anti-depressants are apparently unable to do (according to some studies)?

10. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Sirlanc, I wondered if it was my body adjusting to the dosage of D3, once I passed that third day mark, it was like a weight was lifted. But, for whatever reason, that third day was really, really hard. I also just read about vitamin D3 supplementation for people suffering from seasonal depression. It's interesting to note, that despite several days of grey weather, my mood seems better than normal. I am encouraged.

11. sirlanc

sirlanc New Member

The causes of depression are not well understood, but seem to involve both genetics and environment.

Vitamin D may lower the risk of depression by Reducing the risk of diseases that may trigger depression, such as cancer, cardiovascular disease, and multiple sclerosis or by Reducing the production of cytokines. Cytokines are proteins that increase inflammation and have been shown to be a possible risk factor for depression.

12. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I wonder what the process is for those who suffer from clinical depression that is not a by-product of a disease. What is D3 doing to the brain that anti-depressants don't seem to do?

If cytokines are a possible risk factor for depression and have been shown to affect neurotransmitter activities, then what can be taken or done to directly influence cytokines rather than mess with neurotransmitter activities?

Are there any studies available?

I am aware that the immune system is connected to several mental health problems, so is boosting the immune system a way to overcome mental health issues?

This paper talks about SSRI resistant depression because of cytokine levels. If this is the case, then are doctors ignoring this connection when they hand patients SSRI after SSRI but nothing works (or worse, symptoms show a decline)?

Cytokines in Depression

Kim et al. [14•] examined the cytokine balance in patients with major depression. They found an activation of monocytic proinflammatory cytokines and inhibition of both Th1 and Th2 cytokines and speculated that TGF-β may play a key role in association with the regulation of monocytic cytokines as well as Th1 and Th2 in depression. We examined proinflammatory and anti-inflammatory cytokine levels in patients who were SSRI resistant.[15•] Patients with SSRI-resistant depression had significantly higher production of the proinflammatory cytokines IL-6 and TNF-α than normal controls. Euthymic patients who were formerly SSRI resistant had proinflammatory cytokine levels that were similar to the healthy individuals group. Anti-inflammatory cytokine levels did not differ across the three groups. The suppression of proinflammatory cytokines does not occur in depressed patients who fail to respond to SSRIs and is necessary for clinical recovery.

Eller et al. [16•] examined the impact of escitalopram on proinflammatory cytokines in major depression. They followed 100 patients through a course of therapy with escitalopram 10-20 mg daily. The main finding was the fact that higher basal levels of TNF-α were associated with nonresponse. A similar study reported the effects of another SSRI, namely sertraline, over 8 weeks of treatment.[17•] At the baseline, proinflammatory cytokines were elevated while anti-inflammatory cytokines were suppressed. Sertraline treatment resulted in a significant decrease in IL-12 and an increase in IL-4 and TGF-β.

13. Angelea

Angelea New Member

This article on Medscape ties in nicely with the topic here. I saved it b/c I have chronic rhinitis. Here are some excerpts from the study. Warning: it sounds a lot like Stephen talking :p

The importance of vitamin D as an essential nutrient is well known, given its role in calcium and phosphate homeostasis. Over the past two decades, the influence of vitamin D on the immune system has become increasingly clear.[1] Recent work has elucidated that vitamin D harbors actions more akin to hormones and pro-hormones. The discovery of the vitamin D receptor (VDR) has stimulated more research into the nature of this vitamin which has, subsequently, been shown to be a steroid hormone. This steroid constitutes a component of a complex endocrine pathway termed the 'Vitamin D endocrine system'.[2] Investigators have found that vitamin D plays an integral role in the induction of cell differentiation, inhibition of cell growth, immunomodulation, and regulation of other hormonal systems.[3] This review seeks to highlight the recent research with respect to vitamin D and its role in chronic rhinitis and chronic rhinosinusitis (CRS).

The VDR and vitamin D metabolizing enzymes are expressed by several cells of the immune system. For example, Th1 and Th2 cells are direct targets of the activated form of vitamin D, 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3, otherwise known as calcitriol. Indeed, activation of CD4+ T cells results in a five-fold increase in VDR expression, enabling calcitriol to regulate at least 102 identified genes.[7]

This regulatory effect has a downstream impact on the levels of circulating chemokines and cytokines. Th1 cells secrete interferon gamma (IFNγ), interleukin (IL)-2, IL-12, and tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNFα), all of which augment the cell-mediated defense against intracellular pathogens. Th2 cells express IL-4, IL-5, and IL-13, which further propagate the Th2 response. These Th2-derived cytokines modulate the immune response against parasites and are also associated with the regulation of atopy and asthma.[8,9] Vitamin D exerts a strong suppressive effect on the expression of IL-2 and IFNγ in a VDR-regulated mechanism. The suppression of IL-2 production, in turn, inhibits T-cell proliferation – indeed, addition of exogenous IL-2 can rescue T-cells from the antiproliferative effects of vitamin D.[1] Evaluation of T-lymphocyte subpopulations demonstrates that vitamin D blocks the induction of Th1 cytokines, especially IFNγ, while simultaneously enhancing Th2 responses through the enhancement of IL-4 production.[8,9] Overall, vitamin D decreases cell-mediated immune responses. This suppressive effect on humoral immunity is facilitated through the effect of vitamin D3 on APC. In APCs, calcitriol inhibits the production of IL-12, a cytokine that normally enhances the Th1 response.[10••] In effect, vitamin D acts as a physiologic 'brake' on humoral immunity.

Similarly, the innate immune system can also be inhibited by vitamin D. Here, vitamin D has been shown to inhibit the differentiation, maturation, and immune-stimulating ability of dendritic cells by downregulating the expression of MHC class II molecules.[1] Dendritic cells have important functions in maintaining both protective immunity and self-tolerance. Immature dendritic cells promote T-cell tolerance, whereas mature dendritic cells activate naive T cells. Physiologic levels of vitamin D inhibit the maturation of dendritic cells and maintain an immature and tolerogenic phenotype with inhibition of activation markers such as MHC class II, CD40, CD80, and CD86 and upregulation of inhibitory molecules. Vitamin D concurrently suppresses IL-12 and enhances IL-10 production in these dendritic cells.[10••]

The net response is a decrease in Th1 responses and proliferation of T regulator cells which act as a further 'check' on the immune response. The immune response is skewed towards a Th2 response with a significant suppression of the Th1 response.[8,9] Thus, vitamin D may have a suppressive effect on inflammation at the level of the nasal mucosa, potentially influencing the development and propagation of CRS. Interestingly, vitamin D has also been shown to have a stimulatory effect on monocytes in vitro, suggesting a complex role in immune hemostasis rather than a purely suppressive effect on the immune system.[1] The extent of this physiologic balance has yet to be fully elucidated.

Here is a link to the full article, but you may need a Medscape account to view it. In case the link doesn't work, the title of the article is Vitamin D and Chronic Rhinitis.

14. Omegaman

Omegaman New Member

Any thoughts on whether tablets or gelcaps work best for Vitaman D? Took gelcaps for three years, took tablets for the last couple of months and my Meniere's returned. Another coincidence?

15. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I wonder if people who are SSRI resistant also have higher C-reactive protein levels.

Omegaman, gel caps work much better.

16. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Omegaman, I am taking gelcaps.

17. Angelea

Angelea New Member

The problem with supplements is they are the product of an unregulated industry. It is possible one of the products didn't contain the amount of active ingredient that it claimed. Studies show a fair percentage of the time, they don't. Sometimes they have more, sometimes they have less. I don't think gelcap vs tablet matters as long as they contain the active ingredient D3.

For added assurance that you are getting what the label implies, only buy products with the USP label (assuming you're in the US). All Kirkland (Costco) brand vitamin supps are USP certified.

http://www.usp.org/usp-verification-services/usp-verified-dietary-supplements/verified-supplements

Though, I'm not saying there is any correlation between vitamin D and the return/alleviation of your symptoms. Just that you will not get the intended therapeutic effect if you are (unintentionally) not taking a therapeutic dose.

18. Angelea

Angelea New Member

Oops, forgot to paste the link to the wordy article a few posts back:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/757649

19. sirlanc

sirlanc New Member

gel caps

20. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Angelea, if you and Sirlanc and Intrepid understand all of that stuff about proinflammatory cytokines and T regulator cells, that's great! I always stunk at science, but I'm glad to know there are people out there who don't. ;D