My ViewsHound Articles

Discussion in 'Your Writer's Den' started by Rhemajoy, Aug 28, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Well, in that case, have you tried Helium? They pay for articles too, but I'm not sure how it works.

2. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

What is Helium?

I wonder if I could do this? What are the qualifications?

3. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Here is a link.

http://www.helium.com/content/helium-community

I'm not sure how it works, as I said. But, I know it has something to do with payment "per click" sometimes.

4. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Thanx for the info!

5. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

for those who write professionally or p/t income - do you ever find yourself dispelled with the fun of writing? it has become progressively harder for me to write since my left ear acted up with SCDS - writing and reading worse - not sure if this is why I am in this funk? I have an article that is important for someone to be elected to the National Historical Society and some other honor and I simply don't have the gusto to write it. Even though he is fascinating and I have five hours of interviews on the tape - ugh!

6. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Aladdin, for a long time after I started writing for income, I let go of writing for fun. I got sucked up in writing a lot of stuff that was pretty meaningless and my writing was being judged by people who didn't know a boatload of crap about creativity -- all they knew how to do was sell houses. I was also under intense deadlines as the top producing writer for a real estate trade publication and then as lead writer for a business to business magazine. To say that it nearly killed me would not be an understatement. I ended up in the hospital with what they used to call a nervous breakdown. I was spent -- emotionally and creatively, but I still had to make a living.

After I got sick with my latest MM episode, I knew that something had to change, so I began to blog. I chronicle that step in the very first blog post I ever wrote. It's not my best writing, but it's like an online journal about my spiritual journey. It's been such a release.

http://oceangraces.blogspot.com/2011/07/hello-world.html

Five hours of interview is a lot. Break it down. Write the lede first, or write the headline first. Writer's block is real and it stinks.

Take a walk.
    Listen to your favorite music. (I recently discovered Pandora and I made a Sheryl Crow station. The stuff I have heard over the past few days is some amazing stuff.)
    Drink some coffee if you can tolerate it.
    Imagine you are the best writer in the world and visualize yourself accepting the Pulitzer prize.
    Then tell yourself "who am I kidding" and write anyway.
    Most of all, get something -- anything -- written. The Nike slogan is true -- Just do it! There will be time for revising, but not if you don't have something written.

I once had an editor who had to talk me down from the ledge from time to time and I've never forgotten his words of advice. "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time."

One bite at a time, Aladdin. One bite at a time.

7. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Wow, that is Incredible Advice!

You Are Very Wise!

I say, "Deep Breathes and Baby Steps!"

8. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

thank you so much shartsoe - I will definitely re-read your post and incorporate some of those ideas into my writing strategy. :)

9. Rhemajoy

Rhemajoy New Member

I echo everyone else Shartsoe! I have really enjoyed cutting my teeth with writing over the past several months. I want todo something with it. But, it is just like you said, youhave to write in order to write. Sometimes I write out dialogue or scenarios without creating an entire backdrop, because that's what's in my head and I realize it needs to be on paper instead of trying to start in chronological order. Sometimes you write outof order and put it all together later. But the point is, you write! But, very nice to hear your words of wisdom, knowing you speak from experience!

10. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Hey guys when I read these posts and I was having a hard time, Intrepis suggesting that I start a daily journal, I did, and I'm almost done with one notebook ! I like to run my hands over the words I've written.

I'm doing it for me, I wish I had done this years ago. A good friend of mine, often suggested I write a book,
    I never did then, but as I write I'm remembering more and more, and writing more and more, too.

I wonder how it will end ? :)

11. Rhemajoy

Rhemajoy New Member

That's pretty awesome actually. :)

12. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

I'm on my second one noe, but haven't written in a week or so.....

But, it does help, it's like talking to yourself and telling a story, on paper.

I don't think anybody could make it a story to be published.

Thanx, for the encouragement!!!

:)