My MegaVitamin C as Anti-Viral "Experiment" (updated 6/16/11)

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by solari, Feb 10, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Re: My Vitamin C as Anti-Viral "Experiment" (week 2 update)

That would not be a useful perspective, for several reasons.

First, what anti-viral drug did you use? For how long? At what dosage? If any of these were wrong for you (we are all different), the drug wouldn't have worked. The herpes virus continues to do it's dastardly deeds.

Secondly, antiherpetic drugs such as acylovir have only one function (a very important one for sure), to stop the activity of a herpes virus infection in the inner ear. But there are other factors that should be considered, which each of the other regimen components attack. Drainage of excess fluids in the inner ear is an important function of lemon bioflavonoid, vinpocetine, and ginkgo.

The functions of all the other things in the regimen are described in it's write-up here:http://www.menieresresources.org/Resources/HomePage?action=download&upname=ANewApproachToMenieresDisease-TheJohnOfOhioRegimenJan2010.pdf

With Meniere's, there is little evidence that any single element can stop this disease. Usually, it takes a number of differing agents and processes to gain control. That's exactly why there are so many things in the regimen.

--John of Ohio

2. solari

solari Administrator Staff Member

Re: My Vitamin C as Anti-Viral "Experiment" (week 2 update)

Update -- 2/27/10:

From 2/19 on for a couple days thereafter, my hayfever was regressing so it also meant my symptoms were becoming alleviated. One interesting side affect of hayfever is significantly increased ringing in my ears. As noted in the previous update, in the past when I had nasty hayfever/allergies (esp. around this time of the year with the abundant pollen floating around) I would normally have several vertigo attacks and the usual junk that comes with Meniere's Disease. Not this time around, save for the minor stuff and a short lasting attack that had more to do with BPPV.

Throughout the week up to today I continued taking the amount of Vit C to just prior to titration. Later this week I may bump it up just to see if my titration level remains the same. The theory behind this according to several doctors and studies is your body is your best indicator of the amount of Vit C you need -- you basically take enough to the point just before your bowels become loose. I have not had loose bowels all week, save for excessive farting at times. ;)

At the beginning of this week three time period, on a 1-10 scale of how I felt was at 7.5/10 due to the remnants of hayfever but by the time yesterday and today, it rose to a high of 9/10, the highest ever I have felt in many months.

Halfway through the week, the ringing started tapering off from loud levels to mid levels and by 2/26, the ringing was virtually unnoticeable and continues thus far.

There have been three days of bad/stormy weather and on those days I still felt like an 8 out of 10 when I normally feel quite worse. Today we've had a bad start to the day weather wise but I still put down 9/10 as of this evening which is highly unusual for bad weather days.

(For your reference, a 10/10 is a day in which I completely forget I have Meniere's Disease and have absolutely no symptoms whatsoever. In short, it would be similar to being in complete remission. That's my goal with my dual JOH and Vit C regimen.)

Overall, it has been quite an improved week for me with a lot of confidence in myself, etc. I have begun resuming a normal life and started to go out on long weekend trips (which usually cause problems). One very pleasant and gratifying factor of all this is the improvement of the quality of my life where I don't have as much fear, worry, anxiety, etc. pervading every corner. This is significant, at least to me, because this is what I consider one of the twin evils of Meniere's Disease -- the psychological part and it can often be worse than the physical because it really puts a beating on you. Anyway, it has been a pleasant surprise and I am hoping the upward trend maintains!

On an interesting side note, I have noticed that my positional vertigo issues (BPPV) are also diminishing as well so we shall see if this continues. I do recall reading from one of the Acylovir studies that in 61% of cases it also successfully alleviated folk's BPPV.

Yet one more side note -- I have noticed that there's some other positive side effects of mega Vit C regimen - I recovered from my hayfever much quicker than normal and it was not as harsh on me by far, plus with everyone also getting colds around me I have not succumbed yet to one, my plantar fasciitis is not bothering me as much, and overall I am feeling better and have more energy (altho this part could be attributed to the vit c suppressing the virus and in effect improving my disposition).

Upward and onwards, folks...

Ray

3. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Re: My Vitamin C as Anti-Viral "Experiment" (week 3 update)

Ray,

Wow! This is looking GOOD. Everything you've noted makes sense, given what high doses of vitamin C can do.

This may turn out to be another, perhaps even the best, way to deal with Meniere's. Who, having this horrible disease, would turn away from such a simple and inexpensive and helpful routine, one that brings so many other good health outcomes? (Well, I'll answer that question. Those who think that one should only try stuff prescribed by a doctor wouldn't touch teaspoons of vitamin C powder. "That's quite a bit. It could be harmful." Little do they know.)

For conventional medicine, Meniere's means, at least at the start, a low salt/diuretic diet. When that doesn't work, suppress the brain's response to bad inner ear signals with Valium. Then, after things still get worse or continue to persist, start shooting antibiotics into the inner ear, trying to chemically disable parts of it. In the end, when nothing works, slice off the vestibular nerve or remove the offending inner ear tissues.

But for those of us here, closely following all that has appeared, we can try my regimen of over the counter things that bring great levels of relief (for most, not all), or follow Pappajoe's allergy program (along with Rick). And there's Hank Sullivan's NUCCA approach that has given relief to so many.

And emerging now is your high-dose vitamin C therapy. It's obviously working for you, when nothing previously (including my regimen) has given you such a high level of relief.

And you are still very early into your experimentation. Let's see what things are like in a month or two.

Vitamin C, in high doses, can stop herpes (and other) viruses. It can also turn down allergies. I wouldn't be surprised that in a few months we find that your high-dose vitamin C therapy becomes a treatment of choice on this board.

My very best.

--John of Ohio

P.S. -- And you are correct, in that bowl tolerance levels will tend to increase after a period, allowing the taking of more vitamin C than at the start. Upward --- with more vitamin C --- and onward, with fewer and fewer symptoms.

Also, there is evidence that a lot, if not all, BPPV is actually caused by a herpes infection in inner ear tissues, whcih become inflamed and allow the conoliths, the earstones, to become dislodged. If the vitamin C stops the virus the inflamation stops and the earstones become re-embedded and stationary. Good all around.

4. solari

Re: My Vitamin C as Anti-Viral "Experiment" (week 3 update)

Thanks, John, for your encouragement. Am keeping my fingers crossed and expect continual improvement. Will keep yawl posted as always. :)

Ray

5. Descartes

Descartes New Member

Re: My MegaVitamin C as Anti-Viral "Experiment" (week 3 update)

Coloidal silver is advertised as having anti-viral properties.Might be worth throwing into the mix.

6. KTabc

KTabc Cheese Head Dumbass

I have just started the JOH regime. I have yet to add C to it, because I am adding one supplement at a time. You would suggest starting C right now and just do the 2x 1,000 mg as suggested? I have noticed less fullness in my ear, but loss of hearing and dizziness are still an issue. Using a patch, last time I had to take Valuim was Saturday.

And, I am on Valtrex. Was taking 1gm 3x a day--now taking 1 a day. See my ENT Monday for a check-up.

7. SweetTater

SweetTater New Member

I'm just wondering how this experiment is going?

8. jaypr

jaypr New Member

Hi Solari

Can you please tell me how virus levels in your system are measured. I would like to have this tested but need to have some knowledge or a link to read up on how it is measured.

Thanks

Frank

9. solari

I plan on posting an update later this week, apologies. :) Results are still very encouraging.

Ray

10. Ice

Ice New Member

Ray,

Anxiously awaiting an update. Hope you're still seeing positive results.

11. SweetTater

SweetTater New Member

Me too!

12. Ice

Ice New Member

Bringing this back up in hopes that Ray will update the thread. How's it going Ray?

13. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

hoping this finds you well or at least better

14. solari

Folks, sorry for the lack of updates but that ought to tell you it's a good thing because if you see me here often, it's not good news! ;)

Anyway, I'm very pleased to report that the megadose therapy of vitamin C is indeed working very well for me. I have not had any attacks since last reported here and my symptoms have markedly diminished to the point where most of my days are rated 9.5 to 10 out of 10, i.e like I have no Meniere's or BPPV even.

I do still have some issues during heavy weather when the barometric pressure jumps off the charts, but even then I have been faring much better than before and I feel this part will continue to improve as my ears keep healing. Also very little ringing in the ears already -- mostly nonexistent at this point for me.

What is amazing is how it has pretty much held my BPPV at bay as well.

I have also been engaging in deep meditation techniques and I believe those have really helped as well as we all know how MM can be devastating to us mentally and take a long time to recover from moreso than the physical symptoms.

Additionally, when others in my household have gotten sick from allergies and colds, flu, etc. I have not. I used to get sick whenever the wind would change so this is very encouraging and further justifies taking vitamin C on a permanent basis.

I would be happy to answer any questions you may have. I can't tell you the dosage because it is a very unique amount depending on what your body needs (read above on how I determined my amount to take or ask me for clarification).

If you don't have access to standard anti-virals,this just may do the trick along with the many additional benefits that come with it.

I must say I have been incredibly pleased and surprised at how well this is working so far for me... I'm very happy. :)

Take care,
    Ray

15. Butterfly

Butterfly I will learn to fly agian.

Re: My MegaVitamin C as Anti-Viral "Experiment" (updated 4/5/10))

So glad to hear this is working for you and that you are having such good days. Wishing you the best. Take care.

16. June-

June- New Member

Re: My MegaVitamin C as Anti-Viral "Experiment" (updated 4/5/10)

Sounds like your inner ear is 'healing'. Thanks for sharing this new approach.

17. SweetTater

SweetTater New Member

That's awesome news! I'm always happy when someone gets relief!!! Thanks for the update. I hope you continue to be well.

18. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

I've increased my vitamin C and D - it hasn't decreased vertigo or tinnitus etc - but my over all health is better and I believe that is a positive and I have better days than before - I do a modified JOH :)

thanks for the update - hope next month is even better

19. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

wow--VERY interesting!!

Vitamin C, and, according to your regimen, citrus bioflavonoids....hmmm...what other mammals besides us do NOT synthesize Vitamin C? How do those mammals manage? In what part of the world to they live? Do they eat much more citrus fruit than we do? Do they eat the entire citrus fruit, including the skin? Do they even have access to citrus fruit?

What about Vitamin D for those mammals? Do they require it in the same way we do?

Sorry to pepper you with questions (again)--this is SO fascinating!

20. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Now wait a minute here. Some posters above have the idea that moderate amounts of vitamin C are all that's needed. Not so. Everyone should go back and carefully understand how to take enough vitamin C to get the super results Ray has reported. It's not a mere 1000 or 2000 mgs. One has to take enough to first hit the bowel tolerance level, and that will vary from person to person.

Frankly, this is remarkable news. Ray's been at this hyper-vitamin C dosage treatment for some time now. Clearly, it works for him. And there should be no reason that it wouldn't work for others, too. This may turn out to the be most important new Meniere's therapy yet devised. But that will be known only if others now begin to take up Ray's routine.

The physicians, as with most of the other alternative approaches posted on this board (which wonderfully is Ray's -- he underwrites and moderates it) will pretty much laugh when anyone would suggest that taking scoop-fulls of vitamin C can stop both Meniere's and BPPV symptoms.

So, it's time for dozens of others to give this a try. It's about as inexpensive as any treatment could be. Bulk vitamin C, (as here, http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Vitamin-C-8-oz, or here, http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=VS-1018 ) is cheap. It's altogether safe. And as Ray has discovered, it also brings other health benefits.

Nobel Chemist Linus Pauling took grams of vitamin C each day, claiming that hyper-doses kept cancer and heart disease at bay. Physicians laughed at him, but he died at the age of 93.

I would encourage everyone who can to give Ray's vitamin C therapy a try. Can't hurt, either the pocket book or one's health.

Thanks so much, Ray, for going forward with this and posting your results. Who with this disease, in all of its horrible forms, wouldn't wish to achieve an inner ear health score of 9.5 to 10, where 10 is the utter absence of any of the symptoms so commonly listed on this board? How many here have been fighting and fearing Meniere's and other inner ear symptoms for years without appreciable relief, going from one doctor to another, trying one conventional treatment after another? Here's something that works for a person who has otherwise gained no good relief. It will work for others, too. Give it a try and let us know what develops.

It would be so fine to add another successful alternative Meniere's therapy to the ones already posted and in use on this informative board. I'm hoping that it will prove to be more successful than my Meniere's regimen, which entails a handful of pills and capsules each day. Being able to retire my regimen for something as simple and effective as what Ray has reported would be plainly wonderful.

--John of Ohio