My first holidays without a mom AND a dad both.

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Chris0515, Oct 28, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

So we just got word that my dad(who is still up in Michigan)will have his 2nd cataract procedure on December 4th while up there, and that the recovery time and follow up appointments will not bring him back home until December 28th. So this of course means that ontop of losing my mom last year that we will also not have my father here either for Thanksgiving or Christmas, and it's gonna be both sad and weird for all of us this year I guess. It will be the first time in 44 years that this has happened with me and longer for some of my other siblings. :(

2. Tara

Tara New Member

Been there. Both my parents are gone, and I'm an only child. Hugs.

3. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

Thanks Tara, and my dad is 78 going on 79 so these could be his last couple of holidays with us is what I'm worried about.

4. Tara

Tara New Member

Yeah, it's tough for sure. Both my parents died pretty young, so appreciate all the tome you have left with him.

5. Lorrie K

Lorrie K New Member

I'm in the same boat - mom passed a few years ago and now dad is in the nursing home. I didn't even get to celebrate any holidays last year since I was so incapacitated with daily vertigo so I am looking forward to whatever kind of holiday celebration we can put together.

6. chrisk

chrisk New Member

Yes but your Dad is with your sister who needs him more then you do right now, so shouldn't you be happy that your dad is helping your sister in need? I would be.

7. rottiesrule

rottiesrule New Member

Me too Tara. And I miss them terribly.

8. travelershe

travelershe Quinn the eskimo/ foster puppy

Yes, dear............be glad they are still around!
    Both of my parents are gone now. Mom passed at the ripe
    old age of 57 from pancreatic cancer.
    And dad in 2007 from a heart complication..............I MISS THEM EVERY DAY!!

I have found, doing non-conventional holidays keeps the depression down.....
    Like going to Vegas over the holidays.........or a holiday Cruise!
    (bring the ear patch......lol)

HUGS...........

9. June-

June- New Member

Chris,

Let this be a wakeup call for you to ask your dad the questions you want to ask, show him the affection you want to show him.

Things change quickly and there are no do-overs in this department.

My dad's been gone almost 25 years and my mom going on 10.

10. Daize

Daize New Member

Chris. I understand how you feel and feel for you, but, your sister is needed by your dad right now. I am feeling the sadness as Thanksgiving and Christmas approach, mom has been gone 8 months :( .....My husband & our family, my sister and her family and dad will make the best of it, our hearts ache, but we will celebrate being thankful of the love we have for each other and loving memories.

Can you call your dad? Even though your dad is faraway, if you can call a lot, June has stated it very well.

much hugs to you and everyone here.

Ruth

11. DizzAJ

DizzAJ New Member

My parents moved back to VA after I began college... we never spent a holiday together after that.

My parents passed away within 21 months of one another when I was in my 30's. Soon I will be 66, and I still feel that “orphan syndrome” of being no one's baby anymore after nearly 30 years.

Wishing your Dad well with his surgery, and may you memories of happier times with your parents bring you comfort not only during the holiday season, but whenever you feel low.

12. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

That's right Ruth you are about to go through what we just did last Thanksgiving and Christmas for the 1st time without mom, and so my thoughts and prayers are out to you and let me know if you need any online moral support from me - anytime. :)

And I call my dad at least 3 times a week wether he's here in town or up north, and it's gonna be weird but I am glad he will be with the rest of our family up there for the holidays, because they all miss him too.........every year.

13. jim1884again

jim1884again advocating baldness be recognized as a disability

hope you are able to have a joyous holiday even if he is not there--I was going to say only that but when I saw June's remark about a wake up call to ask things you want ask, show affection, etc, I wanted to reinforce that idea--my dad has been gone since 2003, and many times in the last few weeks I have thought of things I regret not asking him and saying to him--when I was with him in his final years, I didn't know I was going to feel this way seven and a half years later
    take care

14. lulu48

lulu48 New Member

I'm sorry your Dad won't be around for the holidays, Chris. I know it will be very different for you not having him there. Perhaps you could have a 'second Christmas' so to speak, with him sometime after his return on the 28th? One positive thing though, you will be able to ring in the New Year with him.

I hope his surgery goes well and prayers said for a speedy recovery.

15. rottiesrule

rottiesrule New Member

Chris, enjoy the time you have, have no regrets and never miss an opportunity to say I love you.

16. pardonme

pardonme Guest

17. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

Thanks Lulu; and we will all hold onto his gifts until then but there won't be a tree and all the family over with a ham in the oven like normal, and he will get his full traditional Christmas up there I'm sure because my sister & niece do it up pretty big for the holidays. And usually we all do things seperately on New Years Eve because my dad and mom have always hated that holiday tradition for some reason.

18. daBronx

daBronx New Member

Me too.Mother died at age 45 from Rheumatic heart disease.Father died at age 81 from end stage Parkinson's disease.
    Had a friend,Norman,he died on June 14 almost 4 years go from Pancreatic Cancer.
    Just read that Pierce Brosman's daughter(42)died from Ovarian Cancer.