My first 3 days with Dr. Burcon-Upper neck treatments

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by alex1198, Feb 14, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. alex1198

alex1198 New Member

Guys

As promised, here are my comments so far.

My first appointment with Dr. Burcon was Monday morning. After some x-rays and "temperature scan" of my back and neck, he adjusted C2 and C5. Apparently, I was totally off and some alignment work had to be done. Then, I went back later that same day for another check. He said it was much better but still worked C2 and the atlas.

I didn't fell any different that day, neither the next one. I was still a bit dizzy ( not to the point of being sick but I'm sure you guys understand what I'm talking about....lightheaded...feeling kind of "in space", vision not so clear, etc,...).

I went twice on Tuesday but the second visit was useless since he said everthing was ok, I was holding the adjustments and nothing had to be done. Again, no improvement ( but no worse either).

Today, I went at 11am. He did some weird things with his hands, slowly and gently working the upper neck and my feet(???). He then explained what he was doing by saying things about feeling the fluid going up and down my back, etc. I tried to convince myself to keep an open mind but it felt and sounded a bit too "isoteric" and "out of space" for me.....anyway, let's give it a fair chance. The last visit was an hour ago and he adjusted C5 which was a bit misaligned again.

Now, my honest opinion....

First of all, it costs $300 for the first visit, including admin fees and any x-rays for the week. Then, it was $50 per day, no matter how many times you have to see him ( I did twice a day, following his recommendations). I find the $300 way to expensive but $50 a day seems fair, which is what most chiropractor would charge you).

That being said, even if I keep an open mind, I have to be honest and tell you that I don't believe the treatments will change anything. It hasn't so far but I guess, in all fairness, I should wait a week or so to see.....

So far, hearing hasn't change ( still as bad as it was), vertigo is the same and tinnitus fluctuates as it always does from one day to another.

As far as Dr. Burcon is concerned, he is a nice man and I think he sincerly believes in what he does and believes it can help many people suffering from Meniere or that kind of symptoms.

I'm now done for this first round. I'll wait and see if there is any improvements in the next days/weeks and will post again for you all.

Even if I'm skeptical by nature, having tried everything in the last 15 years of having this disease, I tried to be as objective as possible for the benefit of everybody.

I'll keep you posted.

PS: I'm writing this from my laptop in Grand Rapids where I'm lucky enough to be in a hotel with wireless Internet connection.

2. tucker

tucker The Meniere's DVD Guy!

Sounds interesting! Grand Rapids Michigan or Grand Rapids MN or some other Grand Rapids?

Tuck

3. gert157

gert157 New Member

Hi,
    I am so glad you posted honestly about your upper neck treatments.. Do you know if the Dr. is a board certified NUCCA chiro?? That is supposed to mean something from what I have read.... I am seriously considering this treatment but after your post and also what Carribean posted I am leary..... A stroke is the last thing I need on top of the MM..... If you do feel improvement please post what you are feeling, would love to know....
    Take care, Leanne

4. gert157

gert157 New Member

P.S. It will also cost me 300.00 out of pocket to meet deductible and then if the proper codes are given, my ins. will pay 70%....... The chiro I am dealing with does not accept insurance... Noone in my area practices NUCCa so I am forced to go to Dr.'s who do, and many are not in my network.... They make it really hard to get treatment, and it might not even work....
    Leanne

5. cheese

cheese New Member

Thanks for the honest appraisal, Alex. Keep us posted on what pans out over the next few days.

This isn't meant to be a smart ass question, but since when are chiro's "doctors"? I've noticed that a lot of these guys go by the name and are referred to as "dr"

In most cases chiro's aren't even as medically qualified as physiotherapists....yet physios are never referred to as "doctors".

Not being a smart ass i promise. I would just like to know the reason.

6. pardonme

pardonme Guest

7. LisaB

LisaB New Member

Hope you get some relief! Lisa

8. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Just wait...

9. kass

kass New Member

Alex,

Make up your mind whether you are down there as an advocate for consumer protection or a guy desperate to heal his dis-eased body.

You are NOW in a process - don't sabotage your game plan on the third day.

Best thoughts, Kass

10. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Alex, did I read somewhere that you are a lawyer? If someone said 'apparently' in a case, wouldn't you hone in on that and want some proof? I believe that YOU need to understand and acknowledge the problem if you are to correct it. Ask to see the Xrays. Look at the 'temperature scans'. Prepare questions. Get Burcon to convince you that this is likely your problem. Once you see the evidence for yourself .... or lack of it....you will be in a far stronger position.

Like Kass said, do everything in your power to make this work for you rather than examine for negatives. Sometimes we only get one chance. Stop waiting for someone to fix you. Start problem solving it for yourself using Burcon as a promising starting point.

Hope you see the real intention behind my post... you deserve to give yourself the best chance possible.

Lee

11. cdedie

cdedie Designed by DizzyNBlue

alex thank you for taking the time to give us your opinion. I tend to be skepical about things, but sometime they are real or work out. Please keep us informed - with open mind! Thanks again.

12. alex1198

alex1198 New Member

Steve,

It's Grand Rapids, MI.

Kass,Lee

I'm not "sabotaging" anything.....I gave the fact, plus my honest personal opinion. As I said, I'll give it some time and will stay positive. I'll give this goy and his technics a fair chance, like any other I've had so far. However, like any other treatment, results must be somewhat significant at some point, which, I agree, could be just in a few days or weeks. ...and I'm not for consumer protection and yes I want to heal myself but after 15 years and countless treatements across North America by the best in their respective fields of expertise, I tend to be cautious and evaluate the impact of any treatments with pure objectivity so it can help others. I have nothing to gain one way or the other!

Trust me.....my avatar says I'm a newbie but I'm a member and have been posted here since 2001 (don't know why, my history was erased at some point and I had to register again last January). I saw it all AND tried it all...John of Ohio diet, gluten free diet, allergy therapy ( with Dr. Dereberry, probably one of the best in the world, at the House Ear Clinic), homeo ( vertigoheel, etc..), all possible standard medication, low-salt diet, surgery (sac decompression), Meniett device for 6 months,chiro, ostheo,etc. etc. I challenge you to find something I haven't tried and tested in all fairness, long enough.....good luck but if you can find something, I'll be glad to hear (except VNS and gentamicin injections)

...but don't worry, I'll continue this one and will give it time.

Will keep you posted

13. Mnme

Mnme Guest

I obviously didn't put my point across well Alex. It was to make sure you find out whether your Atlas (C1) is tilted before you leave (evidence rather than someone just saying something). Then you can consider/discount this as a problem for you. That's the problem solving process. It then has nothing to do with whether this guy's efforts work or not.

If you find your C1 is tilted and he has no positive effect on you, then this doesn't discount the C1 as your problem.... rather it discounts Burcon as the means to resolve it.

All the best. I admire you for taking the time to do this and share it with us.

Lee

14. bryant99

bryant99 New Member

The chiro that I see said it would take time to get some results.I said it was expensive.This chiro that I'm seeing does both neck and back.He is the only one in my erea that does both or the neck all the one here does the back only.There are some exercises that we do in the office for the neck and we get adjusted.But it takes time for the healing to begin.

15. SpinininOhio

SpinininOhio New Member

Vertigo and dizziness symptoms actually got worse for a about a week after my first NUCCA visit, then alittle better each time I had a vertigo attack. Also, it did not bring back my hearing or dramatically reduce the tinnitus or fullness - but it did get rid of the horrific vertigo attacks I was having. I started NUCCA in September and had my last attack in January. NUCCA chiro is NOT a quick fix. And it is not somone else fixing you. It has to be part of an overall health program (see Pardonme's quote above) in which you take control of your TOTAL path toward wellness and healing all of the things that led to the problems with your ear, which includes as Lee pointed out finding your own questions and answers. The statement someone made regarding "are you a consumer advocate or a guy trying to heal his body" sounds maybe a little strong, but it may be something for you to explore. I think what others are trying to say is that you seem a little quick with the "Hah!". Just some thoughts from someone who hasn't had a major vertigo attack in over a year.

Best of luck with this and your whole path toward wellness.

SpinininOhio

16. Tai chi

Tai chi New Member

After going to a Chiro ( who practices NUCCA) Not certified. I am no longer dizzy on a daily bases. And my hearing has improved a little. This took about 6 months. I also have tried everything medical including shunt surgery some 22 years ago. The shunt surgery was sucessful for almost 18 years. I could be in burnout, but only after his treatments did the dizziness resolve. His prices are great. After paying a couple months you only pay 45.00 per month. You may go as many times as needed. I go once or twice a week even if I don't need it.

17. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Hi Alex,

I am pulling for you. I think others have expressed it well that chiropractic, although it worked relatively fast for me, is not necessarily a fast process for everyone. In your words, referring to your upper cervical vertebrae, "I was totally off." Well, that is not surprising and is consistent with the theory that being that far off may have been the genesis of your Meniere's problems in the first place. Ideally, upper cerivical is a first order treatment, not a last. But according to your post, you have tried pretty much everything in the book, medical book that is, including surgery--a sac decompression. If I understand that procedure, the Endolymphatic sac is removed. If that is the case, going into this treatment you have the handicap of not having all the neccesary parts even available to help with the healing. To be sure, the Endolymphatic sac has a purpose. I believe that purpose is to aid in regulating the pressure in the inner ear canals. It is like a balloon, it blows up in order to relieve pressure that otherwise would blow up inside the inner ear proper area, the canals. So if you are now left without that part, it makes sense that your recovery may at least be more difficult than someone like myself who has had no surgery. If I understand your symptoms, you have a constant, rather than cyclical feeling of fullness that is more typical to Meniere's. That again may be because you have no a balloon ready to take up the excess fluid. Another complication you may have is the same as my wife's (TN sufferer). She had surgery to decompress the 5th and 9th cranial nerves. To do this, they cut a hole in the skull behind the ear and find the 5th nerve about 1" inside. They find the 9th inside about 2". They wrap the nerves with teflon on the theory that a nearby artery pulsing on those nerves is what is causing the pain. Needless to say that was not the cause of her problem and also needless to say, her neck muscles and ligamints had to be sewn back together and reconstructed. UC chiropractic is the only treatment that we have found in over 15 years that will affect the pain positively. Still, because of all the scar tissue from the invasive surgery, getting her Atlas to hold in the right spot has been extremely problematic. I'm not sure about your surgery; they might have cut into the same spot on you. If that is the case, then just know that you are running an up hill race from two standpoints. (1) You do not have all the parts in your inner ear possibly needed to recover to the fullest, and (2) you have a built in problem just trying to get the Atlas to stay put in the right place. But with all this said, according to you your Atlas was "way off." That can only mean that diligence on your part to somehow "command" that vertebra to remain in the correct position will only help your health, and very possibly over time help your Meniere's symptoms.

For me, it took 3 visits a week for a month, then two, then one. After the first visit, the pressure was relieved to the extent that the cycle of building fullness and vertigo was over. Still, in the interum I would have some evidence of the cycle starting to build only to subside after the next adjustment. Today, I still have only a degree of tinnitus, albeit minimal and I continue to have success with it through the light traction I started on my own a few days ago. Yes, the traction is helping.

Alex, I do hold strong hopes for you if you are diligent with your chiropractic treatments. Everyone who has had surgery and then goes for chiropractic is in uncharted waters. They blaze their own trail. What I hope to do with these posts is to reason with folks enough that they try chiropractic as a first resort rather than a last one. Still, you cannot help but be aided by following through on your adjustment program.

Diligence, positive outlook and diligence.

Good luck and the best,

Hank

18. LisaB

LisaB New Member

Nothing is removed during endolymphatic shunt surgery, fluid is just drained. Sometimes as stated below a shunt is put in, but I did not have a shunt.
    "Endolymphatic shunt surgery is one of the surgical procedures available to treat Ménière's disease, which is also known as endolymphatic hydrops. The surgery is based on the theory that the disorder causes the inner ear to become overloaded with fluid and that draining this fluid will relieve the symptoms. The fluid is drained by opening the endolymphatic sac, a pouch located next to the mastoid bone at the end of the endolymphatic duct. The endolymphatic duct is a canal that leads to the inner ear."
    The surgery removes a buildup of tissue, blood and fluid. In my case the doc said the area was very small so he carved away bone to make it bigger and hopefully work better. Hank, FYI, this is considered a pretty minor surgery, no where near a Laby or VNS. No "sac" is removed. A person trying this would not lose "all the necessary parts." It's just a removal of fluid, etc. that shouldn't be there. SO, just giving you some info here. Not sure about your quote:
    To be sure, the Endolymphatic sac has a purpose. I believe that purpose is to aid in regulating the pressure in the inner ear canals. It is like a balloon, it blows up in order to relieve pressure that otherwise would blow up inside the inner ear proper area, the canals.
    That I have never read or heard.
    The docs aren't sure why this surgery helps but it helps many people. Lisa

19. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

Just to add to what Lisa has already said about Sac Decompression surgery - it is considered 'non-destructive' surgery (as opposed to VNS and a Laby). None of the vestibular system is removed or destroyed.

Amethyst

20. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Hi Lisa,

I believe I read Alex' post to indicate that he had an Endolymphatic sac decompression, not a shunt, but you probably know more about that than I do. Regarding the sac decompression surgery, I got my information from

http://www.michiganear.com/library/V/vertigo_options.html

According to that website,

"Endolymphatic Sac Decompression: The bone overlying the sigmoid sinus, posterior fossa dura, and endolymphatic sac (which is embedded in the dura) is removed."

Like I said, you may know more about it than I do. In my post I used the term, "If," as in "If I understand that procedure, the Endolymphatic sac is removed." If Alex still posesses all of his inner ear parts, that is wonderful; and all things being equal I would predict that he would have a more full recovery as a result.

Thanks for your interest and the post. The more information that gets out there, the better we will all be.

Hank