My Experience with the Breast Cancer 3-Day Walk

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by kristy, Sep 29, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. kristy

kristy New Member

This is something that I have been wanting to write for the last few weeks, and Bubbles' recent post reminded me.

I decided to sign up for the Chicago Breast Cancer 3-Day Walk last April. I had been feeling really great and hadn't had a vertigo attack since October 2005. Then, like alot of us, I had a really bad summer. I had a vertigo attack in July and since then I have been pretty off-balance. Throughout the month of August I had more "close calls" then ever before- where I would start to go into a spin but found that I could lie down and sleep for a little while and it would not develop into a full-blown vertigo attack. Needless to say, it was really hard to train for the 3-Day. Somedays it was all I could do to walk 1 mile, much less 20. So as September got closer, I was really scared that I would not be able to do it, and I thought about not going.

I did end up going to Chicago and I walked, and something pretty amazing happened. I was virtually symptom free for all 3 days. Even my tinnitus which is always 24/7 was so much quieter than usual (barely noticable). Since then I have been trying so hard to figure out how or why that would happen. As soon as I got home I went back to my usual dizzy self. My theories for why I felt such a difference for those days all correspond with different ideas that have been tossed around on this forum.

Theory #1- Meniere's can be brought on by stress.

I was away from home and work for 3 days. During those 3 days I was not thinking about my money problems, problems at home, or how I hate my job. I was virtually stress free during the entire time I was away.

Theory #2- (from an article that was posted a few weeks ago) Meniere's could be caused or aggravated by not drinking enough water- dehydration.

I drank more water and gatorade during those 3 days than I probably drink in 2 months. I was far from dehydrated.

Theory #3- Meniere's symptoms are brought on by blood sugar issues- insulin resistance, hypoglycemia, etc.

I was being fed 3 healthy meals each day, along with healthy snacks at regular intervals along the route. (definitely not the way that I eat at home.)

There were a few other things that I had thought of, such as the fact that I was outside the entire 3 days and not in my stuffy office, hunched over in front of my computer.

I don't know if any or all of the things above are the reason for how I could go symptom free for 3 days only to have them come rushing back once I got home. Maybe it was just a coincidence, a wonderful fluke. But I don't think so. What this experience has cemented in my mind is the fact that there are behavorial/emotional/psychological components to this condition that we have control over and we can change. This is not an original thought- I've read many posts here of people who have made lifestyle/dietary changes which have made a profound difference in their meniere's symptoms. I guess it just didn't really sink in for me until I felt it firsthand.

I guess I just wanted to post this as encouragement to Bubbles (good luck on your walk!!) and to see what everyone else thought about it.

Thanks,

Kristy

2. Bergie

Bergie New Member

Wow Kristy thats awesome!! 20 miles and for such a great cause.

I'm so happy that you felt great while away...even when I go on these short trips, I always feel better too!!

I think stress has a lot to do with it!! Drinking water is really important to..we can't get dehyrated that I know!! (I've experienced that!)

Living a healthy lifestyle never hurt anyone and if you see it helps you...go for it!! It can't hurt! Make the changes and stick to them.

(now...if only I can practice what I preach!! LOL!!) :D

3. nassman

nassman Guest

First of all, congrats on successfully participating in this event!

Secondly, I will be brief this time because I tend to go off on a rant when this topic comes up. So, I will try to say what I want to say by use of a mathematical equation:

Stress + depression + obssessive thoughts about a condition + worry + anxiety + constant use of internet forums to self diagnose + heavy reliance on prescription drugs that can compund the original symptoms = worsening of the original condition ten-fold.

Bottom line is, you got out, got the blood flowing, enjoyed your day, forgot about your symptoms and this allowed your mind to rejuvinate itself and the result was that your body responded magnificently.

Simple stuff....but true.

4. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

good for you working the great cause.
    Those four points are,imho, factors that caused or greatly contributed to you feeling better. Exercise noticeably helps me, even just working in the garden. I wonder what you will do with this information, that is, how you will use it know? Best wishes for feeling better down the road.
    Thank you for doing the walk. These walks appear to becoming popular throughout the county and that is excellent.
    Paul

5. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

Good for you! I've got great respect for people who walk a mile for a good cause and you've done 20 miles. That's outstanding.

I am a great believer in taking care of our bodies through diet and exercise. It makes perfect sense to me to keep the vessels of our spirits in good condition. Take your lesson and apply to your daily life. You'll never regret it.

Joe

6. dizzysheba01

dizzysheba01 New Member

Kristy, as a breast cancer survivor, I think you for that wonderful effort. Wish I could have joined you but I'm so wobbly that I not sure I would make the first city block.

7. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Kristy -

Thank you for your contribution to a good cause!!

......................and.......................

Thank you for a great post about what can help with Meniere's symptoms!!