Music to cheer you

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by birdmom3, Dec 25, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. birdmom3

birdmom3 New Member

For those of you that can still enjoy music. I opened the CD that I bought weeks ago. I do not like to play music while on computer, as it cuts my concentration level. and I have been avoiding music because of the ringing.

Anyway, I had got Barbra Streisand's new album a few weeks ago. I am an avid fan. I have most of her stuff old and new. Well this new one is Jazz version. Diana Krall produced it with Barbra. It had an orchastra version and a 4 peice jazz combo version. The songs although would sound like sad or depressing had the opposit effect on me. It made me feel happy. And better things can come. That is why I hesitated on listening to it.

I had entered the contest she had in September to win tickets to the Villiage Vanguard in New York City, concert she had there. But I did not win. There were plenty of fans in that contest like me wanting to catch a glimpse of her. I wanted to see here in 1995 in the concert but at $500 a ticket that was too expensive.

The songs I liked were:

"In the wee Small hours of the morning" was very good. I liked both versions. But I have to listen again as I heard each rendition once. I like Frank Sinatra's but his is so sad. It made me cry once while litening to the radio. My Mom is still a Sinatra fan.

" If You go away" just graeat. I loved the song years ago.

"Make someone Happy" done slower tempo. I have Dinah Washington from 1963 doing this up tempo but Barbra's is very happy.

The last song "You must believe in Spring" is a song that I did not know but on listening it made me believe that good things can happen again. There is line about the trees getting buds in spring.

Of my old ones I have to say I love her "Stoney End". And the Broadway album is great. I listened to it last night. I love "If I loved you".

There are a few more Jazz numbers in it. And you can go to her web sight and hear a small sample of the music. Look for "Love is the answer".There was some parts that I have to listen to some more. Jazzsinging is not like pop or rock and

Barbra had been able to sustain the note in the past. Jazz is softer. But some might say that at Barbra being 68 years old can she still hold the note? Well the voice is still there strong. Maybe one place where she sounded a little like she could not hold the note long. I don't think so. But then with me, I do not know. Anyway I enjoyed it. I think I gave myself vertigo from it. It was fun though. This never used to bother me. Oh well- have a great holiday.

Birdmom3