Mixed spice?

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by joy, Nov 20, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. joy

joy New Member

What do they mean when they call for "mixed spice" in a fruit cake recipe?

2. Sally Forth

Sally Forth Guest

You can buy it in the spice section or you can make your own

http://www.recipezaar.com/Mixed-Spice-40286

3. muzicgirl

muzicgirl Of course, I'm the one in the blue bathing suite!

it's like a combo of cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, mace, kind of like all spice...

4. Prima Donna

Prima Donna New Member

5. joy

joy New Member

I made the fruit cake & put together my own spice mix based on what some other recipes called for. I used a bag of dried fruit - not what I expected. It was apples & etc. I also used Splenda in it because Mom's diabetic. She said the cake was good - she's not usually one to just say something like that to spare my feelings either. It looked okay but I hate fruit cake, so I didn't taste it :p

6. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

i get mine from the middle eastern stores in kc or st. louis

7. abigail48

abigail48 New Member

all spice is a part of another spice, not a mixture.
    what does bump mean.

8. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Well, I learned something new today!

According to Wikipedia,

MIXED SPICE, also called pudding spice, is a British blend of sweet spices, similar to pumpkin pie spice, an American blend of cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, ginger and allspice. Cinnamon is the dominant flavour. It is often used to complement fruits or other sweet foods. Mixed spice typically contains: Cinnamon (or cassia), Nutmeg, Allspice.

It may also contain, or commonly have added to it: mace, Cloves, Ginger, Coriander (seed), Caraway, Cayenne pepper.

ALLSPICE, also called Jamaica pepper, kurundu, myrtle pepper, pimenta, or newspice, is a spice which is the dried unripe fruit ("berries") of Pimenta dioica , a mid-canopy tree native to the Greater Antilles, southern Mexico and Central America, now cultivated in many warm parts of the world. The name "allspice" was coined as early as 1621 by the English, who thought it combined the flavour of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.

Abigail48 - whenever you reply to a post, it automatically goes to the top of the list of threads. If you just want to take an older post, and bump it up to the top so it gets more attention, you can type in "bump" as your reply and post. Or you can just type in any character and it will do the same thing.