Miss pizza so much!!

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by Daize, Nov 21, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Daize

Daize New Member

I have not had pizza in 2 yrs. Had severe vertigo attack from eating pizza 3 yrs. ago, next day felt ok, went food shopping then whamm...vertigo attack, severe, vomited in car, had someone get manager, he called ambulance went to hospital, was given Anitvert. Saw ENT next day, told him what happened, he said TOO much salt. No more pizza. Been very very good.

How can I make a low sodium pizza. Use english muffins? with sauce and cheese? What other ideas!!??
    doing very good with low sodium routine, but, pizza, want some once in a while.

2. TracyInIndy

TracyInIndy Guest

Daize,

Here's what I did when I just had to have some pizza and it turned out pretty good.

I was able to find no salt added tomato sauce at the Healthy Heart Market, you can also try a Health Food Grocery Store like Tradder Joe's. I spiced it up with herbs and heated it through, then chilled in the refrigerator for the day. It helps the flavor. Heat it up slightly before using or it won't spread well.

http://www.healthyheartmarket.com/

I found a recipe for pizza dough in the cookbook that came with my bread machine. I used their recipe, but left out the salt. I added some herbs, oregano, basil, garlic powder and onion powder.

I realized I couldn't use any of the standard pizza meat so I grilled some chicken breast on my George Foreman grill and shredded it.

I went to the grocery and looked at the cheeses. White cheese has a tendency to be lower in sodium than yellow cheese. I found some mozzarella that wasn't too bad.

I let the bread machine make the dough and then rolled it out. Brush the dough with a little bit of Olive Oil (helps it to brown). Spread the warmed sauce, then put on the chicken and some slightly sauteed vegetables. I used garlic, onion, and spinach. Be creative use vegetables you like. Just because you've never had broccoli on your pizza doesn't mean it wouldn't taste good.

Be careful with the cheese. You need to make sure you are only adding what you really need to because that's where most of the sodium will come from. Spread it evenly.

Follow the baking instructions with your bread machine (mine was 20 minutes @ 400)

Good luck, Tracy

3. Daize

Daize New Member

;D Appreciate so much, your reply! Yayy....me happy now!!

4. saltlesstears

saltlesstears New Member

Hi--For a 'quick' pizza-like snack..I buy the whole wheat rollups at Wholefoods..the sodium content is pretty low..........I toast that and then put low sodium tomatoe sauce that I make and a lower sodium and (and fat) mozzerella that I found here plus grilled veg and stuff. (I use my George Foreman grill also)

As an alternative you can find no sodium corn tortillas quite easily and make cheesy burritos too.

5. Miz Daise Ma'am, you jest be makin' yer own pizza. I will tell you that ya not be needin' alla that stuff they put in pizza at the restaurant. Ya jest make a good crust and you be puttin' on the pizza jest what you want. I be tellin' ya that not every pizza be salty. No Ma'am. Now you will try grilled veggies and put them on and any meat or not. jest be experimentin'. Iffn it not be good then the dogs get it. :)
    OBB

6. Daize

Daize New Member

Hi there OBB :) Well aren't you a sweetie for help! ;) Thanks.
    daize ;)

7. Daize

Daize New Member

Hi Salt! This all helps for different ways....thanks ;)

8. burd

burd New Member

I make my own sausage, and it is fantastic!
    I make my own crust using salt substitute, and I make my own sauce by whipping up a can of tomato paste, lo-salt variety, with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and also of water, and add garlic and onion powder, basil, oregano, a touch of cayenne pepper, and some black pepper.

I don't eat cheese because of my dairy allergy issues, so I make a thick white sauce with toasted garlic and black pepper. It is so good, even my husband says he doesn't miss cheese.

I'll post my sausage recipe separately.

9. Titus

Titus New Member

I use fresh tomatoes instead of sauce and make my own crust from whole wheat flour and olive oil. Top it with olives, mushrooms, green peppers, onions, and garlic. It's yummy. I could never go back to eating that crappy pizza from restaurants after making my own.

10. abra

abra New Member

Kim, can you post your crust recipe? It sounds good!

Thanks....

11. Bayhi

Bayhi New Member

My kids like making a crust from a rolled out canned bisquit, brushed with olive oil.

12. dizzjo

dizzjo One day at a time & baby steps!

I make my own crust and add what I want - that way I have complete control over what goes in it. Pizza crust is easy to do and you can leave out the salt if you want.

13. jagmi

jagmi New Member

I also have made my own crust and I use burger on it for a meat. also use lots of green peppers onions, and no salt tomato sauce, use swiss cheese because it lower in sodium the add a little bit of regular cheese for the flavor. I'm not sure how much sodium it adds but i've been told to try cooking the burger in bacon greese before putting it on and it adds lots of flavor havn't tried it yet because we don't use bacon that often to have thr grease.
    Joe

14. cupoftea

cupoftea New Member

15. fgaglione75

fgaglione75 New Member

WOW thanks for contributing the healthymarket website. I browsed through it and purchased a whole load of great foods from there.

;D

16. agr113

agr113 New Member

I have been making an easy and delicious pizza (well as close to pizza as I can get) latety. I take a no -salt pita bread, brush it with olive oil, then I slice fresh, unsalted mozarella cheese, and put tomato and fresh basil on top. Then I put it under the broiler for 7-12 minutes. It is really delicious, very lo-sodium and I think is a good facsimile to the real deal.

I always add hot pepper and black pepper and oregano on top, too. Yummy.

17. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

one of the best pizzas I ever ate was in Venezia. It had no tomato sauce and was not salty. It had lots of lovely fresh vegetables on it and a good balance of herbs and spices.

I like to make my own pizza. That way I know exactly what it is made from. I have found that cayenne powder can perk up a pizza nicely.

18. mangolover

mangolover I will sleep when I am dead

I just wanted to let cupoftea know that i used her recipe for pizza crust for my loved one with Meniere's and he loved it! I make my own pizza sauce with unsalted canned plum tomaotes and unsalted tomato paste I get at Trader Joe's. I then add garlic, basil, oregano, fresh cracked pepper and a pinch of suger. I make it all in a food processor. My son likes it better than delivery! And my man said that I gave him back something he thought he would have to live without! I also use the fresh unsalted mozzerella cheese. You can add whatever you want to the top. So don't think you have to give up foods you love. You will just have to rethink how you make them. :)