Mike Spencer's USANA vitamin regimen

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by rondrums, Feb 19, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Well, I taught 30 years of public school science, first teaching years teaching middle schoolers, and last years teaching advanced placement and honors biology. I've encountered and dealt with just about every sort of personality and perspective regarding scientific topics. Seen and heard it all, at length. Science can be contentious.

--John of Ohio

2. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

June why are you inciting forum members this way? Earlier you made up some stuff about people calling JOH a bad person or something similar, which is just 100% wrong and BS.

You're the only one using fighting words :D Stop.

3. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Now that you know this is wrong (VitaCost and VitaminShoppe are owned by Big Pharma and Big Pharma owns a whole host of other VMS companies) - does it bother you? You suggested it was a pretty strong indictment.

4. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

No, Imnoscientist, you are wrong. VitaCost and Vitamin Shoppe are two independent companies owned exclusively by their shareholders. VitaCost is listed on the NASDAQ with the ticker VITC. Vitamin Shoppe is listed on the NYSE, with the ticker VSI.

http://investing.money.msn.com/investments/company-report?symbol=US%3aVITC
    http://investing.money.msn.com/investments/company-report?symbol=US%3aVSI

Just what pharmaceuticals do you think "own" either of these two companies? What is your evidence ? Because both companies are registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission, so that their shares can be freely traded, any corporate ownership or control of the companies must be fully disclosed, as in the company info postings above. There is no such disclosure, because there is no "Big Pharma" ownership of either company.

Swanson's is privately held.
    http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=4902683

You are imagining things.

--John of Ohio

5. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Nice try Johnni.

Owned by Big Pharma, are they?

--John of Ohio

6. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

JOH, you should be a politician :D

7. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Or Yoda ;D

8. bubbagump

bubbagump New Member

I agree with JOH here....guys, you are claiming Big Pharma owns the vitamins stores...that's your main point right? Whether the vitamin stores are private or public doesn't matter at all, the point is they're not owned by BigPharma...they are independent.

Am I missing the point?

Anyway, we should all be civilized and help each other out, let's be supportive and fight this terrible disease together.

9. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Does anybody really care who owns what in the VMS world?
    Minds are rarely changed when it comes to this stuff.

I find them more harmful than anything else but I am not going to change anybody's mind if they believe in them and vice versa.

10. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

If you take VMS it's up to you whether you care or not who owns the companies producing them and where they are made - what confidence you have in their reputation, reliability, safety and so on. It's also up to you how much research you wish to do - if you want to read all the posts on here, all the links, do your own Googling, or if you just want to read some posts or give weight to some more than others.

Ultimately only you can be the judge as to what the point is.

11. FadedRose

FadedRose New Member

I take L -Lysine occasionally when I have an outbreak of cold sores. Last week I was at the Dr. for another matter and I asked him if I could take L-Lysine daily as a preventative. He wasn't sure , so he told me he would check into it and get back to me.

I heard from him today and he does not recommend daily use of L-Lysine long term. It says right on the bottle not to use longer than 6 months without consulting a physician.

I googled "long term use of L-Lysine" and after reading what I found, I think I will stick to taking it when I get an out break.

We all have to decide how much and what VMS we are comfortable taking.

12. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Once again (like many others who take lysine chronically), I'm apparently doomed. I've been taking lysine for over a decade.

--John of Ohio

13. FadedRose

FadedRose New Member

You may be doomed, JOH, or you may not be. It's your choice what you want to ingest. I guess time will tell.