Meniett - Some feedback would be great

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by cheese, Sep 29, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. cheese

cheese New Member

Hey everyone

Because all the searchable meniett info was lost in the crash, if its ok, I'd like to hear from some people who have tried it ....whether it be successful or not

I get mine on the 12th of oct and im not real sure what to expect

How long does it usually take to work?

Has anyone had complete long lasting dizziness remission?....... I remember milo telling me that it worked great for him for about 5 months, and then bam

Any info would be great

2. cheese

cheese New Member

3. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

ToniG has been using one for quite awhile. Maybe she will see this or you could send a pm to her

4. jrw

jrw New Member

Have been using mine since March '03. Some people relief rather quickly - took a couple of weeks for me. Others take a bit longer. Some need it only a few months, others like me end up needing one for a longer time.

The meniett people are great for furnishing info, great on speedy repairs (not that you'll need this much) and send out a loaner at no added cost while they're fixing yours. I've only had mine fixed twice in 3.5 years.

Recommended starting frequency is 3 times a day. Takes 6 min. per ear. It has rechargeable batteries an needs to get plugged in to recharge about every 6 cycles, or after one day if treating both ears. Been really happy with mine.

5. Andrea1962

Andrea1962 New Member

Cheese:

I started replying to this post yesterday..and my computer packed up midway!
    I started using the Meniett about a year and a half ago. When I got the tubes I had an immediate relief from the pressure... which did wear off after a short while. As first I had to pump 6-7 times a day....but the effects eventually lasted longer and I got down to 3 per day.

After a few months I went into remission....and that stayed until December of last year....when I was back pumping. In May I went into remission ...until my surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago. I am back pumping maybe once or twice a day...I find it is somewhat cyclical.

My advice...Listen to your body and pump when you need it!

6. cheese

cheese New Member

Hey thanks for info guys

Would you also say that you are alot more functional than before the meniett? or just marginally?

7. Andrea1962

Andrea1962 New Member

I would say I am a lot more functional- I am able to holda full time job.

Also for me surgery was not an option- the Meneire's is in my only hearing ear which is too risky.

There are lots of things to weigh into your decision; it doesn't work for everyone but I highly recommend a trial to see if it is your answer.

8. cheese

cheese New Member

Thanks Andrea thats great to hear. Getting back to work is a priority of mine ..so im hopeful

9. ToniG

ToniG Guest

Thanks for remembering, GF. Yes, I've been using the meniett since
    November 2003..it's been a Godsend for me, I'm bilateral. Although it hasn't put me in remission, it keeps the veritgo at bay. Unfortunately, it hasn't worked for some people. But, it's worth it's weight in gold to me.

10. Andrea1962

Andrea1962 New Member

Toni: Did you get any resolution on the reimbursement costs?

11. ToniG

ToniG Guest

Thank you for asking, Andrea. Tricare meets again Oct 2, 2006, for another hearing determination. The original insurance lawyer overseeing the case pergured himself, had to be removed, lawyer #2 let the case sit for 3 months, now on lawyer #3. Hubby is a prosecutor, so he's been on top of it since day 1. (LOL...he would even email them from Iraq!) Medtronic will send a rep and doctor to a formal hearing for me. It's more principal than money, now, since I paid for it back in November 2003. US Medicare even pays for the meniett pump now. We do have in our possession a US "confidental draft, pending publication" of the meniett pump.

12. cheese

cheese New Member

Hey ToniG

Glad to hear its worked to great for you

When you say it hasnt put you in remission, but kept the vertigo at bay .....does that mean you still get the odd vertigo attack, just not as often?? .....or do you just mean that you continue getting fullness but without vertigo

thanks

13. Andrea1962

Andrea1962 New Member

Good luck tomorrow. I am sure the money will come in handy for Christmas presents!

14. wendyd

wendyd New Member

well, I am sure glad it has helped the people it has, and I haven't seen any negative posts. Perhaps I didn't try it long enough, but I did try it for 3 months, and didn't get any relief at all. I wasn't having the drops or severe vertigo then, but I thought it didn't affect the dizzies, that light headed, not quite right feeling where balance is difficult. So maybe I am not the right candidate for it.
    I wish you all the luck in the world with it, and hope everyone gets reimbursed. Please post to let us all know, and good luck!!! Have you gotten your tube placed yet, or is that scheduled nearer the time you will get the device?

15. ToniG

ToniG Guest

Cheese: I've had menieres for 26 years now, I'm now 38. Neurotologists, ect..are amazed my brain has rewired itself and I am able to walk with gain. Yeah, I'm also stubborn. Anyway, I feel off balance some days and can feel the vertigo impending, but just do more meniett treatment. I am also blessed that meclizine works for me, too. I'm anti-drug for myself, so meclizine and water pill is it for me, but I really don't know if the water pill does any good.

16. LisaB

LisaB New Member

I have had the meniett for well over a year and it took about a month for me to be symptom free. Then I had no problems at all. After a year, I have occasional symptoms. When I start to feel wavery with dizzy feelings, mostly it is because my tube is blocked.......so just get it checked. I think it is amazing. I do still feel weather changes, but if I wait them out I am okay. One huge thing it does, which is its' main claim, I think, is to help with the spinning. Now when I do get the dizzies I hardly ever have the room spin, which happened to me all the time for me. For me it isn't a cure all but is a fantastic help. Just remember to keep an eye on the tube! I would recommend it to everyone. Lisa B :)

17. abra

abra New Member

Has the Meniett helped with anything other than vertigo? Does it have any effect on the fullness or tinnitus?

Thanks....

18. jrw

jrw New Member

I only had vertigo in the initial 4 days of MM and not since. The Meniett helps me with ear fullness. Can't say about the tinnitus since I only have that when I'm in a really bad way. I got on the meniett because the diuretics didn't agree with me. Found a diuretic last year that works, but still using the meniett because there's more fullness than the pills can handle.

19. LisaB

LisaB New Member

It doesn't claim to help fullness but it does help mine. Lisa B

20. abra

abra New Member

JRW, I have had trouble taking diuretics too. They affected me in a very bad way. Would you mind mentioning what one you've found tolerable?

Thanks.