Meniere's Letter: Before You Judge Me

Discussion in 'Meniere's Disease "Database"' started by TracyInIndy, Sep 27, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. mb84

mb84 New Member

My Meniett is hard to hear even during periods of remission. When it starts to get loud, I know my tube is starting to come out.

2. tlmcdonald

tlmcdonald New Member

Hi Lyndsay,

I'd still be concerned of the Meniere's dx when you say you can't recognize your husbands face or your cat. (presumably neither is new). Do you mean you can't make out their features (which would be consistent with MM) or, you do not recognize them even based on color, hair length, build, etc? If you do not recognize them, even though they are blurry and bouncing, then get back to the neurologist's office and make sure you take a copy of your post! This doesn't sound like it would count as vestibular activated Brain fog, but more brain-activated brain fog. Perhaps something like Migraine Associated Vertigo (with or without headache), or perhaps something more concerning.

3. sherlocksmom

sherlocksmom New Member

Thank you so much for the article!!!! I can't believe I have found someone who has the same symptoms as me. I really thought I had a brain tumor or early alzheimers. This started when I was 53. Anyway you explained the symptoms perfectly. I don't walk with a cane but I am clutsy. I used to love to read but the the back and forth movement of my eyes cause vertigo, and I don't have very good recall either. I see my ent tomorrow for a true diagnosis. Hope it is not acoustic neuroma. I like so many thought it was normal to have ringing in my ears. Some of my friends say just about everyone has some ringing and a little dizzines... How do they function????? Thanks again for the valuable information. Sherlocksmom

4. Charles T.

Charles T. New Member

I'm new to this site, and I thought I had problems! I cannot imagine going on living with what "Before You Judge Me" describes. I am on triamterene (37.5mg twice a day), a potassium supplement, and dramamine "as needed". I am having severe vertigo attacks about once a week. I never have any warning that I can discern, so by the time I take dramamine it's too late, and I get sick and vomit. The attacks last anywhere from 2 to 4 hours and wipe me out for a day. I monitor my salt intake and keep it below 250mg per day. Anyway, this is what I have been on for several weeks. I was diagnosed with Meniere's about 16 months ago, and it has gotten progressively worse. Question: What should I try next? Supplements? Other prescription meds? Thanks.

5. Aliza

Aliza I'm still standing, alone but upright

6. joanne

joanne New Member

this is my life to a t

7. Chariss

Chariss New Member

When i nearly fell over in the local supermarket and grabbed for my daughters shoulder for support another customer gave me a dirty look. he thought i was going to hit her and was chastising her. it was so embaresing. it is so hard to explain to others exactly how much it affect your life.

8. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Hear, here!!!!

9. Tony Mejias

Tony Mejias New Member

...At this point I don't know if my doctor knows that I'm starting developing the Meniere's desease. ..he say all I have is an ear infection...

10. SMRoz

SMRoz Coast Guard Dizzy! (Ret)

Reading made a tear show up. It hits so close to home that I had to duck under the reality of it. Glad you found and posted this. I forwarded this to people who have believed me to be lying.

11. JennaAlways

JennaAlways New Member

I am new to this and I havent been diagnosed yet with this diseased but I cant find doctors anywhere nearby and I would really love for someone to help me with more information on this Meniere's Disease. I have had blackouts and loud ringing in my ears since I was 6yrs old. When I was younger they diagnosed it as like a mix of hyper-activity and being out in the sun too much. And then there were sometimes I didnt tell anyone. One time, I blacked out so bad, I was 5 months pregnant with my first daughter in Wal*Mart and they gave me 5 stsitches in the back of my head, and once again they diagnosed it as with a part of being pregnant. I have these blackouts all the time, and the ringing in my ears really bothers me bad. I am so scared to go to doctors on the fact of finding out something is horribly wrong with me. Usually, my blackouts only last for 30sec up tp like 3mins and they say that I will just lay there, lifeless, not moving and pale. And when these blackouts occur, I start feeling a warm sensation, the ringing in both my ears(sometimes just one) and then the disfunction and after that its usually about 3 seconds later I am on the floor. Please someone tell me if they think I might have this and I will make myself go to the doctor. I am only 22yrs old, with a 4yr old daughter and 2yr old twin daughters as well. I dont want an exact prognosis but I need someone to tell me if they were to guess, that its a possibility that I might have this disease. I am so sorry to bother anyone, but I just happen to come across this disease on the internet and this is the only disease that has matched my symptoms to an exact T. I have no family or friends, just me and my kids while my husband is deployed, I am scared and alone. Please someone just email me and let me know. Thank you so much for your time and consideration.

12. Sunrise

Sunrise New Member

Took me awhile to get around to reading this. I've never seen/read it described so well.

13. joy

joy New Member

Can I assume somebody's been in touch with JennaAlways?

14. Sunrise

Sunrise New Member

I emailed her........

Greetings Jenna,

I read your post on the Meniere's talk forum and I would encourage you to see an ENT and discuss these blackouts. I'm not a doctor and cannot say if it's Meniere's or not, but as some of the others on this forum can attest to, there are other things that can mimic the symptoms but are treatable!!

Do not be discouraged but do not ignore it either, see the doctor and go from there.

Wishing you and your family well,

Dawn

15. imbr

imbr New Member

thanks for the letter-how I feel is just like that. Take care all!

16. tovenaar

tovenaar New Member

Re: Meniere's Letter: Before You Judge Me- TC mom

TCMom
    Exactly, my daily experience.. I now live in a 'structured' envionmental apt and building and I can ne ver explain why i can't hear when more than one person is talking... i lose balance, while turning my head quickly or what it feels like for me.
    my Dr has taken me off all meds to see if i have another attack, i had one of the worst 'drops' in month in feburary... i really may need to get a differnt ENT or some other kind of Dr, after this.

17. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Bump!

18. yanksgirl

yanksgirl New Member

I shared the article' before you judge me' with all my family and several friends. Pointing out that I no longer have the vertigo, since my 'shunt surgery' and some of the things this person and many of you deal with--I do not! I've not crawled to the bathroom, etc. I have a husband who has been nearby and hangs onto me as I hang on to the walls and furniture to get to the bed and gets a 'bucket' for me to use--if needed. That was when the vertigo was so bad. The other things, brain fog--hearing fluctuation, feeling dizzy nearly all the time, not going places due to how I'm feeling and always the fear of another vertigo attack--and the power to concentrate being so bad, etc. --I can relate to 'so well'. As is suggested on this portion of this board--it helps to share info so family and others can understand better. I did just that and have gotten such support and more understanding since copying it and sharing it. I hope others of you will do the same---it helps to have folks who understand better supporting us. :)

19. FanofFinz

FanofFinz New Member

Tracy,

AMEN to your letter!!!!! This is how I feel everytime I have one of the terrible symptoms of MM. Whether it be the vertigo, tinnitus, dizziness, nausea, along with all the stress this sucky disease brings. I've tried explaining it to people thousands of times but they don't seem to care or understand. It's always, "well, you look fine or you sound fine". Huh, I tell them real quick how I look or sound doesn't mean crap. I've had MM since 2009 in my left ear and it amazes me that my friends, co-workers, and even most of my family doesn't seem to understand. I have given them several links to websites but they never look at them. I've tried telling them it will help them understand what I go through. I've even told them to get on this site so they can see what MM patients go through. It's even gotten to the point where I've made an appointment to see a therapists to talk to so I can have a neutral party. God Bless all of you out there with this disease as I know how each day is a struggle when MM shows just how ugly it can be!!!

Brad