MAV questions

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by PleaseNoDizzy, Apr 23, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. PleaseNoDizzy

PleaseNoDizzy New Member

I'm going on 3 years of dealing with Meniere's and have had a lot of ups and downs, mostly downs. My neuro-oto is perplexed by my hearing tests -- most are showing little to no real loss (initially when it started there was minor loss in the low ranges). He wants to try treating me for MAV instead and see if that allows me any relief. I'm stopping the diuretic and potassium, starting Nortriptyline and magnesium, and have to add the migraine diet to my already lo-so diet. I'm a bit overwhelmed. Some questions:

-One of my biggest symptoms is fluctuating ear fullness/pressure, which seems to be getting more extreme over time. Can this be a hallmark of MAV too?
    -No history of migraine for myself or my family history. Does this make MAV less likely?
    -What on earth DOES one eat on the diet?? Lo-so was hard enough. Eliminating CHOCOLATE and red wine are painful but if it'll help, so be it. THe long list that includes so many cheeses, avocados, beans, breads etc has me reeling. I have to feed our three young (and picky) children too, and it's hard enough without eliminating so many of our staples!

2. PleaseNoDizzy

PleaseNoDizzy New Member

Also, one more q. On my list of foods to avoid, broken up by food group, it says "Potato or substitute: None". Does that mean I have to avoid all potatoes, or that potatoes are ok?

3. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Potatoes belong to the nightshade family which could be a migraine trigger for many. That's why you were told to avoid them.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=62

You can eat yams or sweet potatoes instead. They are from a different family.

You can eat poultry, meat, fish, eggs, most fruits and vegetables, quinoa, brown and white rice (and pasta), coconut and olive oils.

Soon you will see that not all foods that are considered migraine triggers will actually trigger them in you. I eventually brought avocados, nuts, seeds, peanut butter, most nuts, and tomatoes back into my diet with no issues.

4. upgrader

upgrader New Member

Pleasenidizzy

I had balance problems followed by 2 days of distorted hearing, at first they suspected meniers but my hearing has been in the normal ranges since, they now believe it was mav related and I was put on nortyptoline and modified diet, I have had an improvement in my symptoms but still suffer from fullness, cutting chocolate and caffeine made a huge difference

5. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

chocolate is killing me....no wonder I feel so bad

6. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

There's a great MAV site here: http://www.mvertigo.org/forum/

The same people are also available on FB : https://www.facebook.com/groups/vmpro/

Vestibular Migraine is another term for MAV.

Tons of great info and people on both these links that can help you.

7. PleaseNoDizzy

PleaseNoDizzy New Member

Thank you guys. This diet seems daunting, but then again, so did lo-so 3 years ago. It took time but I finally feel like I've mastered that one (as much as one can). I can do this again.

I am not convinced yet that my issues are MAV and not Meniere's, but I am willing to try.

8. jaypr

jaypr New Member

You can easily have MAV and menieres which would explain the hearing loss with menieres. There is plenty that you can eat, just take your time, start with a basic food that you could eat for a day or two and add an item gradually. Fresh food is basically the way to go .

By adding foods and drinks gradually you will pinpoint your triggers as you go along. Make a list of the foods that don't agree with you. Everyone is different with triggers.(One man's meat is another man's poison). It could take a while to find out what you can and can't have but you can't lose as there are many benefits to eating healthily. Hopefully you will find, like me, that this is the way to control your symptoms.

Wishing you well

9. upgrader

upgrader New Member

If you have Mav Another thing that could inprove your symptoms is a good b-complex vitamin

I use jarrow formula B-Right this is converted b vitamins that are easier to absorb and i have noticed massive improvement taking these

10. dizzybee

dizzybee New Member

Upgrader, do you take anything else for your migraines? My neuro tried to put me on Cymbalta which I couldn't handle. Any weird side effects from the B vitamin?

11. upgrader

upgrader New Member

Currently I'm taking nortryptoline 20mg at bed time, I'm also magnesium citrate, cq10, vitamin b,c,e

I've had no side effects with the b vitamin, but I've noticed more clarity in thought and increased energy

I've also modified my diet

My symptoms have improved in the last 2 months but I can't get rid of the ear fullness in my right ear it's driving me crazy

12. dizzybee

dizzybee New Member

Thanks upgrader...gonna ask my neuro :)