Magnesium update

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Intrepid, Jul 31, 2012.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

Omega 3 is some bad $H!T and I can't understand why.

2. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

You were taking prescription strength; not everyone can tolerate it.

3. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

I need a lawyer

4. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

You wouldn't win. What you experienced is listed as a side effect.

5. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

I could still use the money ;D

6. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Does anybody know the idea cal/Mag ratio? I've always heard it is 2:1 but some studies show that is should be 1:1 while others say mag should be more than cal.

Any views?

7. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Calcium is preferentially absorbed over magnesium, and magnesium is a critical central metalic ion of over 300 crucial enzymes. Lots of calcium and little magnesium tilts the balance way over to hypercalcemia, causing calcification of all sorts of tissues.

The ration should be 1 : 1, or even 1 Ca to 2 Mg. Magnesium is far more important for good health (and strong bones) than calcium.

Info here: http://magnesiumforlife.com/medical-application/magnesium-and-calcification/

Some experts recommend, where possible, that the magnesium be consumed at a different time of day from the calcium, for enhanced Mg uptake, without competition from the Ca ions.

I take 400 mgs of Magnesium Citrate, in two, divided (one morning, one night) 200 mg doses. Extremely positive results, chronically.

--John of Ohio

8. LisaB

LisaB New Member

It is interesting that it all affects us differently. I had huge help from a Vitamin B complex for tinnitus.

Lisa

9. belgianwaffle

belgianwaffle New Member

I just thought there is nothing to 'calm down' the tinnitus?
    Hearing is gone = tinnitus forever?

10. HJG0989

HJG0989 New Member

I started taking magnesium about six weeks ago because I was having restless leg syndrome at night. What a difference! I do a lot of walking/hiking/backpacking and my leg muscles were always uncomfortable. I felt the effects within a couple of days. Now that I have been on them a while, I notice that I feel more relaxed emotionally (or should I say I don't feel as anxious). Within the last two weeks the distortion in my hearing has gone down, I don't know if it is related to the magnesium or not.

I've been taking 400mg of Magnesium citrate a day along with 2 packets of Emergen-C for the b vitamins.

11. June-

June- New Member

You dont necessarily know when the hearing is gone though. I got mine back and got rid of the t at the same time.

12. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Yes, it does exactly what you write. Slowed me down a bit too much though.

13. June-

June- New Member

Can it also have side effects over time?

14. belgianwaffle

belgianwaffle New Member

No I don't know indeed! Mine never fluctuates, I just wonder if it ever feels like calming down :)

15. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Mine has never fluctuated either. It just steadily decreases.

16. June-

June- New Member

My hearing symptoms also never fluctuated. They were horrendous for 9 months, then all got better graduallynwith antivirals and allergy treatment.

17. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

As you know, I'm flying out there as soon as I can. I think it's my solution.

18. June-

June- New Member

I hope it is.

19. belgianwaffle

belgianwaffle New Member

There is a tiny little bit of hope then..

20. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Final update: magnesium isn't for me. I stayed away from it for two months then took it again and it just makes me weak exhausted and brings my systolic number down (which I don't need). I love that it makes me feel so chill but it also makes me feel low energy and dazed and very sleepy.

I get enough Mg from food every day (lots of spinach, almonds, avocados etc.) so I'm doing away with the supplement for good.