Low Salt Marinades

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by cstern, Mar 6, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. cstern

cstern New Member

Anybody know of some good low salt marinades to use for chicken, fish, beef or burger?

Please advise.
    Chris

2. connordr

connordr Me with grandkids

Without salt it's not really a marinade - the word is macerate- but I use honey, red wine, a bit of olive oil and Heinz Worcestershire sauce (Heinz contains less sodium than other brands.) For beef, I punch holes in the cut with my big fork, smear it with chopped garlic, and the coat it with honey, add the red wine to cover, and about a teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce. Cover and refrigerate overnight. You can use this for ceal and lamb also.
    For chicken I use white wine and mustard with the honey and garlic.

3. tired

tired New Member

I like to use limes in my marinade and a little olive oil, sugar or honey.

Check out healthyheartmarket.com
    for some bottled marinades that are pretty good, no fuss no muss and no salt just pour from the bottle.

4. libr

libr New Member

In many major supermarkets, you can find Mrs. Dash marindaes with no salt/sodium.

At Whole Foods, in their sauces/marinades section I have found dozens of different bottled sauces and marinades with little sodium (0-15mg per serving) and they are not even marketed as such. They are just the typical gourmet types of bottled sauces that you find at Whole Foods and some are very good.

Cheers,
    Sean

5. KatiePA

KatiePA New Member

We love Farmer Boy Greek Dressing, especially for fish. 0 mg sodium. It does have a fair amount of sugar, though. I think they even have a website: farmerboygreekdressing.com (or something very similar)

And the traditional Greek olive oil/fresh lemon juice combo is great for fish or chicken.

Katie

6. burd

burd New Member

Check out www.healthyheartmarket.com They have lots of sauces and marinades and such to chose from. You can alter them to personal taste if you want too.

7. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

For sure! I use a combination of minced ginger and garlic, chopped scallion, black pepper, cayenne, honey, vinegar, oil and soy sauce (low sodium). It’s fabulous. Joe

8. burd

burd New Member

Joe that sounds fantastic! I have copied that recipe for my files.

9. dancing_kiwi17

dancing_kiwi17 New Member

Mrs. Dash marinaids have NO sodium! Also use their seasoning blends...honestly, I don't know what I would do without Mrs. dash!!!

10. captainsaffi

captainsaffi New Member

Black strap molasses, a touch ( just a little bit!!!) of low sodium soy sauce, roasted garlic, sesame oil, sesame seeds, black pepper.

11. TJ

TJ New Member

I like my Italian salad dressing home made of course.

1/4 C. white vinegar
    3 TBSP water
    2 tsp sugar
    juice half lemon
    1 Tbsp minced Garlic
    1 tsp minced onion
    1 tsp black pepper
    1 tsp parsley
    1/4 tsp. basil
    1/4 tsp oregano
    1/4 tsp thyme
    1/2 C olive oil I use blended oil instead