Low/no salt tortilla chips?

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by WhitHanFan84, Jun 27, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. WhitHanFan84

WhitHanFan84 Doing what I love....traveling to concerts!!!

I have not been able to find them in the stores anywhere. However, many mexican resteraunts I go to have no salt on there chips so I get an order to go. They don't last long though because they only give you one serving to go.

Does anyone know a brand and where to get some low/no sodium tortilla chips in the grocery store?

2. tm53

tm53 New Member

Garden Fresh Gourment Unsalted Tortilla Chips

http://www.gardenfreshsalsa.com/products.asp

I found them in the Deli section

3. slyantis

slyantis New Member

Whole Foods has no/low salt tortilla chips, Trader joe's does I believe and in Ohio there is a place called Jungle Jims and they did have them the last time I was there

4. twinklenani

twinklenani Guest

I get them at Kroger...but don't have any right now and can't remember the brand. They are up front around the deli, rather than with the regular chips. ZAPPs make potato chips without sodium. They are really good.

5. Beardiegirl

Beardiegirl "Do or Do Not; there is no try" Yoda

At Wal-mart, I found some. Tia Rosa is the brand; each serving (12 chips) has 35mg of sodium. The best part was finding a lo-so salsa to go with them. Clint's Texas Salsa has 65mg per serving. It's hard to live without Mexican food in Texas. :)

6. xanthian

xanthian New Member

Trader Joe's- No salt tortilla(can't remember the brand) 0mg of sodium per serving

Whole Foods-No salt potato chips(Kettle brand) 0mg per serving

-Reduced sodium barbeque chips(Kettle brand) 15mg per 15 chips I believe

7. ylab14

ylab14 New Member

I found some at Traders Joe and they also had salt free potato chips.

8. IndyGirl

IndyGirl New Member

These are some low/no salt items I have found in Indiana:
    Kroger: Garden Fresh Gourmet Kettle Style Unsalted Tortilla Chips. They have 0 mg sodium. It is a bright orange/yellow bag. Just be careful as the Salted variety is in the same color bag and I have made the mistake and purchased it instead. It isn't always with the other chips, but may be in the health food section or on an end cap.
    All Natural Frog Ranch Salsa - this is the best and only has 40 mg of sodium per 2 TBS. It comes in mild, medium and hot. It costs around $2.99 per pint jar. You can get it online but it usually is more expensive.
    They also have unsalted potato chips at Kroger and at Marsh.

9. rose

rose New Member

I make my own with corn tortillas. Mission or Great Value brands are salt-free! But even if you don't use those, I have found quite a few other brands with only 10mg per serving (two 6" tortillas).

Stack 5 tortillas one on top of the other and cut them into 6 slices like you would cut up a pizza (sorry, wrong example :D). Spread out on a heavy cookie sheet (not air-bake) in a single layer, spacing them at least 1/4-1/2" apart. I then spray with Pam or any other cooking spray. Then I mix up some spices, like cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, etc. and sprinkle on top. Bake at 400 degrees for 8-12 miinutes or until chips start to get crispy and slightly golden brown at the edges. Remove and let cool 5-10 minutes. If you use salt, each serving (10 chips) contains only 18mg of sodium!

They're not bad and are a good snack when you want something crunchy to munch on. I also make my own salsa.

I am slowly learning to get used to these lo-so recipes.

10. Cath

Cath New Member

I've been making my own too but I was not adding any seasoning. I'm going to try your recipe! My husband will love them.

11. DondiDo

DondiDo New Member

I am a texmexaholic! And this sounds wonderful!

12. SSN

SSN New Member

Rose
    I just made your recipe except no seasonings. Wow - are they great. No more hunting around town for chips now. Thanks for posting the recipe.

13. Duncan618

Duncan618 New Member

I found them in my local health food store. The brand is Bearitos and they have 5 mg sodium for 15 chips. I think they are really good. Good luck. I hope you can find them.

14. Jenny

Jenny Nystagmus sucks. A lot.

Oh, these are sooooo good. You don't even miss the salt. I've been practically living on these for a year. My student make fun of me because they think it's all I eat, as that's all they ever see.

15. Bastet

Bastet New Member

YES!!!!!!! I love the no salt tortilla chips!!! I make my own guacamole (very very hot!) and I indulge occassionally. Helps stave off my cravings for salty foods. :)

16. Papajoe

Papajoe Myco-dental Freak of Nature

Here in NC, there is a brand called "Garden Of Eatin'". The regular chips are pretty low in sodium and fat, but the "no salt added" are great. These are the blue corn chips. I eat a lot of them with low sodium salsa or by themselves.

Several brands of salsa (the kind in the produce section) have fewer than 100 mg/serving.

Also, Kroger had some yellow chips with no salt added, but I don't recall the brand. They also had no salt added potato chips, and several stores sell no-salt-added microwave popcorn. Harris Teeter has a store brand version.

17. Tara

Tara New Member

I make my own. Sometimes I season them, and sometimes I don't.

18. phildsc

phildsc New Member

Based on what I read here, I looked around the local Publix store here. In the organic section I found the Garden of Eatin' blue corn chips with NO Salt. Naturally, grabbed a bag to have with my salad and apple at lunch. They're OK and much better than no corn chips, but they need some salsa. Next I look for low or no sodium dip.

19. Sheri61

Sheri61 New Member

I buy R W Garcia's MixtBag yellow and white corn tortilla chips from my health food store. 50mg of sodium per 15 chips. My son LOVES them, so we have to buy them a lot. (They are cheaper than regular bags of tortilla chips, too.)

20. Papajoe

Papajoe Myco-dental Freak of Nature

@phil - I've got the perfect salsa for you too. I bought some "Italian Rose" brand Fresh Salsa at Sam's Club. It has 50 mg/tbsp, which works out to about 300-400 mg/serving for me. With the no-salt added chips, that's not too bad, and it's some of the best tasting salsa I've had, even brands that are much higher in sodium.