Looking for Menieres Doctors

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by thomas99, Sep 30, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. thomas99

thomas99 New Member

Does anyone know where to find doctors that specialize in Menieres in my local area?

Thank you!!! :)

2. tucker

tucker The Meniere's DVD Guy!

Where are you located?

Tuck

3. thomas99

thomas99 New Member

Alliance, Ohio 44601

4. cdedie

cdedie Designed by DizzyNBlue

Thomas VEDA has something on Doc's. Try this link

http://www.vestibular.org/find-medical-help.php

Good luck!

5. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Look for a neurotologist (notice the "t" in the middle). They are vestibular experts.

6. thomas99

thomas99 New Member

Thanks!

7. marlyn56

marlyn56 New Member

HI, I'M ALSO LOOKING FOR A DIFFERENT DR. IN MY AREA. I WENT TO THE VEDA SITE, AND THERE WERE 2 IN MY AREA, TOLEDO, OHIO. BUT ONE HAD JUST PT BEHIND HER NAME AND THE OTHER DR. HAD PT,MEd BEHIND HER NAME AND SHE WAS AT A OHIO VESTIBULAR & BALANCE CENTER. WHAT DOES PT AND PT,MEd STAND FOR ? MARLYN56

8. TracyInIndy

TracyInIndy Guest

Marlyn,

PT stands for physical therapist. You are looking in the therapy section of the list. There are no doctors listed for Toledo on VEDA's list.

Tracy

9. Robyn

Robyn Russell the Wombat

There is a good doctor who is a world leader in research into Meniere's disease here in Brisbane (Australia), but I am thinking that it may be a little too far to travel to see him!! ;D ;D

Good luck.

10. hvyduty

hvyduty New Member

Hello fellow ohioan's, Cleveland here. I would give you my doctor's name but I don't think you would like him. He just told me to deal with it, so I am.

Be safe !!

Matt

11. SpinininOhio

SpinininOhio New Member

Thomas / Matt

Welcome both! Assuming you are newbies. After the crash I went from long timer to newbie.

I live near Akron. I've tried four different doctors in the area. The first group told me to deal with it. The second, a DO, said that 'of course there could be a sinus/allergy component' and did minimal tests took a lot of money and told me he supported the first doctor. I went to the Lippy Group in Warren Ohio who spent ten minutes with me told me to quit drinking water and to deal with it and wanted to sell me a $9000 BAHA hearing aid to help. And I went to a doctor in Cleveland who declared me under control while having three vertigo spells per week and refused to give a second treatment... until I went back after three months free of vertigo on my own and then offered to give the second treatment it "to bring it under control" (?????????).

A nurse practitioner just gave me a name today - John Oas in Solon. According to her, he is an otoneurologist and was associated with the Cleveland Clinic before going on his own. He treated her husband for a (non-Menieres) vestibular disorder and she could not say enough good things about him. I obviously have no idea yet. And there is an ENT in Westlake called Wladecki who will prescribe the Meniette machine, but I haven't seen him yet either.

Right now, I would say Oas, Wladecki or the Cleveland Clinic.

If you find others let me know. Best of luck.

SpinininOhio

12. hvyduty

hvyduty New Member

Hiya spinnin,

Actually I have been here long before the site crashed I just didn't post much. Here's my story. I was chronic as a kid with ear infection's. My left ear developed cyst's that encompassed the bones of the inner ear and grew into my ear drum. I had a mostoidectomy done with bone graft's and a graft for an eardrum. I have had equalibrium problems going back to when I was in 4th grade. Doctor's just told my parents "equalibrium problem's". So I just grew to accept that fact. So several times a year, sometime's frequent,sometimes not, I would just have my usual problems. So as time went on I went back to an ent. (30 plus years after the surgery) After exams and test's mri's and such, he said that since I have been dealing with my problems for so long, it would probably do more harm than good to go messing with my ear. The ear drum is collapsed, can't put tubes in, the whole system on the left is closed, fluid will always be there, symptom's will still come and go, deal with it like you have been. Good new's....He said I will never have an ear infection on my left side. I really don't have it so bad 36 plus years with the dizzies, spinning, cracking, pressure. I cope pretty well. I am very lucky compared to many on this forum.

John of Ohio. Thank's for the pm. I did use your regimen for several years and it did work wonder's for me when I was at my worst. I have now slowly weened myself off of it. But I do have everything in reserve if I need it.

Matt

13. 2DAMNDIZZY

2DAMNDIZZY New Member

I hope you find a doctor soon. I would love to find a doctor in Virginia.

Maggie

14. marlyn56

marlyn56 New Member

Hi, I live in Fostoria OH and see a neurologist in Toledo Ohio, E. Calderon. I've only had MM since Aug. 18th of this year. I wouldn't say he's a MM doctor but he does treat MM patients. I've been there 2 times, seems nice answered all my questioned, better then my ENT. But I know I have along jounery ahead of me.
    SpinninOhio,
    I read in your respond your Dr. said to quit drinking water. Why ? I never herd that before. With my water pills I live on water, I'm so thirsty. marlyn56

15. Lindy958

Lindy958 New Member

I have an EXCELLENT doctor but it takes awhile to get into them and he is in Ann Arbor, Michigan; but, it would probably be worth the trip. I traveled an hour to see him each way. It is Dr. Arts with U of M Ann Arbor (Otolaryngology Dept). He is VERY up to date on Meniere's and he will take his time with you. I have been a patient of his for several years and about a year ago he performed my labyrinthectomy. I can't begin to say enough good things about him - he is just hard to get in to see. The first visit I waited 6 mos. to see him so in the meantime I was seen at the Michigan Ear Institute. They are also very good. E-mail me if you would like any further information. Lindy