Let's all get paranoid

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Intrepid, Oct 5, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Wino

Wino Resident Honey Badger

You know.....they. Like the same folks who say things.

2. June-

June- New Member

You mean the people who come in my house and use things and don't put them back where they belong? Them? Them is bad people.

3. June-

June- New Member

Good, they can't be bothering me for a while then. You live pretty far away.

4. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

How do you know it is 'them?'

5. rottiesrule

rottiesrule New Member

"They" said so?

6. Wino

Wino Resident Honey Badger

This thread is out to get me.

7. burd

burd New Member

Watch a few seasons of CSI.  That'll creep you out from ever stepping foot in a motel again or touching anything public again.  I knew someone that worked for an upscale motel.  You think they are really cleaning things inbetween customers?  Bwahahahahaha

I hate germs, not phobic though, just a few simple precautionary measures...hand washing, shopping cart handle sanitizing, but I don't freak out about it.

Side thought....been taking flu shots regularly for about 8 years, before my vestibular condition became obvious.  Before and after, it has never affected me adversely.  The flu on the other hand, for the one year I missed my shot, was beyond hell.  I'll take the shots.

8. cc635

cc635 New Member

Sarita, you make some good points about the things we worry about. I am not paranoid, but I am a natural worrier. I think being aware is not a negative thing though.

I am also a neat freak, and my infant daughter has asthma - wonder if they are connected since this is not something that runs in the family. I am struggling whether or not to get her the flu shot even though all her doctors say I should. I always ask them if their children are getting it and their response is always yes. I worry about vaccinations, but when my daughter gets sick, she has a hard time getting over things, and if she were to get the flu, it could be really bad for her.

I think you just have to do what you feel is right in that moment. None of us knows what the future will hold.

9. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

Burd is the Word only on her reactions (or lack thereof) to the flu shots that SHE received.

Burd is not the Word on the adverse reactions to flu shots that others have suffered, nor is she the word on the potential of flu shots to damage others.

10. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

I leave the flu shot question for everyone to figure out for themselves but I gotta tell you my story here...

I used to get a flu shot yearly then about 5 or 6 years ago I had a bad reaction when later in the evening after I got the shot I got so sick with what was eerily similar to what I now experience as a vertigo attack. It scared the hell out of me that night and I never got another flu shot after that one...

Fast forward a couple of years to Feb. 2009 and all of a sudden I develop vertigo and all the pleasant stuff that goes with it... Is it related? I don't know... but I remember that night after my last shot and how sick I felt and it was the same crap I go through today.

11. Rick

Rick New Member

...I used to join in all discussions and some were very interesting especially when Nassman was involved. (is he still around?). Basically the only posts i read now are the ones whose title indicates i might have something to offer, so I don't read very many. Hover the title of this one causght my interest especially with all the replies in such a short time.

...I can honestly say I haven't a clue about any of what's going on and I'll probably just keep it that way. Of course I am wondering if i should be paranoid now. LOL just kidding.

...Sounds like I've been missing a lot in all the other posts but I'll probably keep going the way I was and just look for the occasional person who might have a gluten problem or the glycemic thing.

Rick

12. acujen

acujen New Member

Watch this regarding the flu vaccine. Very funny....but true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcT7_C_vACs

13. rottiesrule

rottiesrule New Member

Funny stuff Jenn!

14. acujen

acujen New Member

I knew you'd like it (and get the humor), rottierule!

15. jim1884again

jim1884again advocating baldness be recognized as a disability

HS

my opinion might not be too "esteemed", but the answer is no and yes--there are instances when we become hypersensitive to the actions of others because we get plenty of overt and/or subtle feedback from them about our behavior--if this occurs over time, we might begin to wonder if every whisper, every odd expression, etc, from these people people might be directed at us--this is not really paranoia but a learned and fairly rationale response to the feedback we get from others
    (social psychologists will tell you much of our self concept and world view comes from how others have responded to us in our lives)

if, however, there isn't a rational basis for it--if people haven't really been treating you differently and the group with whom you interact don't dislike you or think you are crazy, and you still think those imagined furtive glances or subdued conversations are "referring" to you when they aren't, then it is paranoia--my thinking is pretty heavy duty paranoia has more of a chemical basis than simple suspicion or fear that others don't like you, are talking about you, etc.

I told one of my of my COs in Vietnam I was thinking I might be paranoid, and he said, you should be, people you don't know are trying to kill you

enough said, my guess is this thread is not really about paranoia per se, but that would be another discussion

16. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

What if there is no rational basis for you to believe that these folks are out to get you, yet you believe they are nonetheless, and as it turns out, they really are out to get you? Is that paranoia?

17. acujen

acujen New Member

Sirlanc, I love that quote. (It's originally by Arthur Schopenhauer). I'm going to post it as my facebook status right now.

18. jim1884again

jim1884again advocating baldness be recognized as a disability

I would think so--the paranoia in the case you are describing, to me, would be defined not so much on the basis of what actually happened after the fact (that seemed to justify the beliefs of the paranoid person) as it would by the initial seemingly unwarranted suspicion or irrational perception (unless the person had ESP and could really tell what the other people were thinking and that was the basis for his paranoia)--remember, it is irrational in that there is an absence of measurable, objective information--if you just "sense" it when the other people are doing absolutely nothing to justify your beliefs, then one would have to wonder if it is paranoia

I know one exception to this that actually resulted in a suicide--if you really are curious about this PM me

19. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Thanks, Jim. I understand. But to clarify, if, say, some force beyond your control and understanding, ESP perhaps, God perhaps, conveys to you outside of any natural means, the sense that certain people are out to get you. And as a result, and although you had no rational reason to expect that they are out to get you, you come to rely that those people are indeed out to get you, and as it turns out those people in question really are out to get you, confirming your sense that they were, then that would not be paranoia?

20. Seadog

Seadog Ambidextrous dumb-ass with out coffee

There have been a few times in my life once in high school (a group of teachers) and several in my professional career that people were actually out to get me. They had meetings and everything.

I was clueless.