Lemons!!

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Rick, May 24, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Rick

Rick New Member

...The sad thing was that I truly believe that the breathing exercises that gentleman did, helped his dizziness and vertigo. Which is an important point for all of us: When someone claims that something they tried helped them, believe them!!!. They have no reason to lie, so no matter how silly it sounds, believe it.
    ...Now I remember getting a vertigo attack and trying the deep breathing and it didn't work for me but I still believe it worked for him (I believe his name was Klaus). Knowing what I know now, he could have very well been talking about a different type of vertigo attack than what I was used to. That's one thing we should all keep in mind, that when someone says "vertrigo" it can mean differetn things to different people including doctors.
    ...But now that my wife has developed an anxiety/panic disorder, I fully understand how Low O2/ high CO2 levels can definately trigger panic attacks and vertigo attacks. In fact I've posted a couple of times about the experiment that was done to rabbits with inner ear disorders. The group of rabbits that had a damaged inner ear, would get nystagmus when challenged with CO2 and the normal group did not. And we know that those rabbits were plenty dizzy before the CO2 was high enough to trigger the nystagmus.
    ...My wifes panic attacks can be triggered by high CO2/low O2 and we have to be careful to make sure there is fresh air wherever we go. I've had two very dizzy spells in situations that would have had high concentrations of CO2. And the fact that your friends were helped with the administration of Oxygen doesn't surprise me at all.
    ...One disorder that is not diagnosed unless it is extreme is asthma, and that could be a definate trigger for us with Meniere's. I have a prescription of Flonase and use nasal decongestants to keep my airways open to keep the dizzies away. Astham in general is restricted breathing, but to get a diagnoses usually erquires to teh person to have had an asthma attack.
    Rick

2. america57

america57 New Member

Thanks for posting Rick, I love Lemons, it's worth a try!

3. NanKelly

NanKelly Go Dawgs!!!

I love lemons, but I love them with a bunch of salt....

4. saltlesstears

saltlesstears New Member

Glad everyone is back to all this 'lemon talk'....The peels are naturally full of flavionoids and the lemon juice is full of vitamin C and tons of other phytonutrients (sp?).

About the breathing: I hope no one is laughing. Breathing techniques are at the heart of YOGA which is an 8000 year old practice or thereabouts. I took a yoga class this year and found the breathing very helpful. Maybe you should start a new thread just about the breathing and more people can see it and comment on their experiences. BTW: There is alot about alternative treatments on this site-Yvonne

5. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

I've written a number of times on the efficacy of lemon bioflavonoids on MM. I won't review those here, except to suggest that readers might wish to read my posting on a regimen that uses lemon bioflavonoids with frequent success (http://www.menieresfoundation.org/johnsregimen.htm).

As a number of folks have posted, the daily taking of simple and cheap lemon bioflavonoid tablets (as described in the link above) can bring relief from MM symptoms. I strongly recommend that everyone with this disease give at least the lemon bioflavonoids (if not the entire regimen) at 2-month try.

Everyone should subsequently post their results here, for all of us to consider, whether lemon juice, lemon slices, lemon rinds, lemon zest, lemon bioflavonoid tablets, the John of Ohio Meniere's Regimen, or any other non-traditional approach to Meniere's.

Everyone should note how few people send in messages telling how successful were traditional, conventional prescriptions and proceedures. If we want to nail this disease, in most cases it will require some new method or approach, one probably not mentioned or even known by our physicians.

All of these need to be intelligently shared and considered. Lemon bioflavonoids (as with lemons in general) are just one of these new things that can work for us.

--John of Ohio

6. 2dogswalking

2dogswalking New Member

Hey Rick:
    I haven't gone away, I just don't come here that often anymore, but it's funny you should mention lemons when I logged on to take a peak at how everyone was doing. The lemon thing did work for me, although I also made several other changes right around the time I tried the lemons so can't say for sure if the lemons did the trick or not. I definately have been about 90% better for the past year, with a few episodes (very mild). I only take lemons occasionaly now when I feel things are starting up again. I also take a very low dose of Xanax on a daily basis. 1/2 of .25 mg in morning, 1/4 of .25 mg at lunch and supper time and 1/2 of .25 mg in the evening totalling only 1 1/2 of .25 mg per day. If I have a problem I will increase this by 1/2 .25 mg and then go right back to my normal dose or skip the next one. This way I don't get into wanting and needing more of a very addictive drug.

As for the lemons, to refresh everyone's memory, when I started to take them I sqeezed fresh lemons into warm water and/or chamomile tea and had up to 3/4 of a lemon per day. At times it was a little hard on my stomach, but the results were fabulous and seemed to relieve my symptoms within 48 hours. Remember though I never did have it as bad as some of you do, but for over two years I woke up every morning with the sensation of falling, the minute I opened my eyes. That has gone, and I have only had it once or twice in the past year, so I would strongly urge anyone with this problem to give it a try. I could not find lemon bioflavonoids at our local health food store, but I do take a multi-vitamin with citrus bioflavonoids (2000 mcg - whatever that means) in it every morning

2 dogs walking
    (p.s. lost both my dogs a year ago last fall - the big guy got oral cancer and the little one was just old (16) I held both of them in my arms while they were put to sleep within 6 weeks of one another - still can't get over it, but now have a crazy little puggle dog that is driving me nuts!)

7. saltlesstears

saltlesstears New Member

I heard so much about you 2Dogswalking......I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your dogs, it must have been heartbreaking. I am happy you got the little 'puggle'.

BTW: You can get the citrus bioflaviniods at 'NUTRITION EXPRESS' or by mail from 'Vitamin Shoppe'..or they can order them for you in the shop to pick up.

8. Rick

Rick New Member

2dogswalking,
    ...So good to see you again!!! Thanks for dropping by and telling your story, there are so many new people here and I remembered what a dramatic effect the lemons had at that time. I try to remember and relay all the different things everyone has done to get relief, but but it's so musch better coming from the person who actually tried it. Sorry to hear about your puppies, that must have been very, very hard.
    Rick

9. Texasgal

Texasgal New Member

OOPS..I posted this before I saw Two Dogs Walking....

I use lemons in my water...I do think it definitely helps..It is also a natural diuretic that can help many..I love lemons so it comes natural for me to add lemon juice to my water..I LOVE IT...Good luck to everyone...I have not seen Two Dogs Walking in a long time but I do remember she had really good luck, also..

Kaye

10. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

Thanks for dropping by 2dogswalking, I'm happy to hear you're doing so well. Very sorry about your puppies though - it's so hard to say goodbye to great friends. My dogs are both large breeds, 10 and 13 yrs old - I'm dreading the day when I have to say goodbye to my bestfriends. We never do get long enough with them. Great that you got yourself a new cutie!

All the best to you....Amethyst

11. dizzy grape

dizzy grape New Member

I have had great sucess drinking grape juice, but I think I will also try the lemons. Less calories. I would have to put a sweet and low in it, do you think this would be a negative addition?
    Dizzy Grape.

12. saltlesstears

saltlesstears New Member

Dizzygrape-More and more bad things are coming out about 'sweet and low' and the other sugar substitutes...why not put a very small amount of natural honey in instead...also dilute the lemon juice and it won't be so sour and acidic.

13. Rick

Rick New Member

...you may want to try granulated fructose. It's the same calories (gram for gram) of table sugar and honey (Sucrose) but is twice as sweet and therefore only takes half as much as sugar to get the same sweetness as sugar. It's also low on the glycemic index. I got mine at Krogers.
    Rick

14. joy

joy New Member

Another positive vote for the addition of lemons. I just got back from two week vacation & was really worried that I'd be sick the entire time. After I read Rick's post, I started drinking ~2 ounces of lemon juice diluted 50/50 with water & a couple packets of Splenda. I only had three episodes of vertigo during my entire trip, and I traced each one to the fact that I hadn't had my lemon juice that day. (Okay, well, that Dorito binge probably contributed to one of the attacks...I've finally learned my lesson on the low-salt thing.)
    Rick, thank you so much for bringing up this topic. As a newbie, I've tried to go through the old posts, but obviously I'm missing some of the more important ones.

15. Rick

Rick New Member

...Your welcome and unfortunately, we had a major crash on this board a while back and a lot of the old posts were lost. Now it's up to us old timers to remember and for me that's quite a challenge until something jogs my memory.
    ..One of the things that i think helps is to get a handle on the type of vertigo we get. I get what I call my Meniere's vertigo and my BPPV vertigo. I think the lemons help both but there may be some other tips I've learned from others and from my experiance that may help also.
    ..The meniere's vertigo is the type that comes with no warning and makes a person completely helpless. Everytime the eyes are open, the world just flashes by as if we're standing still and everything we are looking at flashes by. The type i associate with BPPV, is that while there may be a few seconds of the meniere's type vertigo, there are hours or days of a feeling that we're moving, even though we aren't. It's more a "sensation" of spinning than an "Illusion" of spinning. Many times we have to keep our eyes open to keep from getting nauseated.

Rick

16. joy

joy New Member

It's so frustrating not to have a concrete list of do's & don't's. Too many variables and too much trial & error!! At least the lemon juice thing has been constant with positive results when I take it & clearly negative results when I skip it. Thanks again ... if you think of anything else, POST POST POST!!

17. Rick

Rick New Member

...I had a similar event with chips at a mexican resturant. I just pigged out on the chips and salsa and about 30 minutes later I was very dizzy and offbalance. When I got home, I did the epley and saw that I got the BPPV type reactions. It was either the carb loading I did with the whole meal or it was MSG. If thos Doritos were flavored, then there's a good chance you got a healthy dose of MSG also.
    ...But I've seen that when I overdo it on carbs, especially the ones that are high on the Glycemic index, I will get these spells. I'm especially vunerable when my electrolytes are low or imbalanced. I drink the low sodium V8 to get my potassium or eat bananas. I take supplements that have the other electrolytes (magnesium and calcium) and as far as sodium, I get plenty of that through diet.
    ...Along with the lemons you may want to use an oil and vinegar, vinegrette, or italian dressing on your salads, All ranch dressings have MSG except Newman's Own. Try not to Carb load at any one meal and maybe use the Glycemic index as a guide for a few days or weeks to see if you see any benefit.
    ...Just a small disclaimer, I'm not advocating a low carb diet but just a normal balanced diet. Just avoid an all carb meal and possibly picking carbs other than white starches, or just reducing the white starches. In normal diets, we tend to over do the potatoes and rice.
    Rick

18. joy

joy New Member

Oy. You've been peeking into my kitchen cabinets. Due to a low-fat diet (for cholesterol lowering) I've been eating lots of rice (albeit brown) and potatoes, since they're easy to fix for work lunch. Going to switch to sweet potatoes though. I do try to watch the MSG and have been loading up on veggies - tomatoes especially. I'll look closer at the Glycemic Index thing, too. As I recall, it was what moved me off eating a baked/nuked potato at lunch every day. Hit and Miss ... Hit and Miss. : )

19. Rick

Rick New Member

...Total Cholestrol is equal to the HDL + the LDL + the Triglycerides/5. After I followed the Glycemic index for a month or two, I saw a big drop in my triglycerides (350 down to 97) which also lowered my total cholesterol. My HDL also went up from 38 to 41, so the high GI carbs (white starches) can have a big impact on your lipids.
    Rick

20. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

h20 honey and lemons are awaiitng for me on sink - thanks rick for your continual encouragements