Lemon Pound Cake

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by lulu48, May 13, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. lulu48

lulu48 New Member

Lemon Pound Cake

What you will need:

16 TBSP (2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus 1 TBSP, softened, for greasing pan
    1 ½ cups cake flour, plus 1 TBSP for dusting pan
    1 tsp baking powder
    ½ tsp salt
    1 ¼ cups sugar
    2 TBSP grated zest plus 2 tsp juice from 2 medium lemons
    4 large eggs
    1 ½ tsp vanilla extract

Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with 1 TBSP butter and dust with 1 TBSP cake flour, tapping out excess. In medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In glass measuring cup or microwave safe bowl, microwave butter, covered with plastic wrap, at full power until melted, about 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk butter thoroughly to reincorporate any separated milk solids.

In food processor, process sugar and zest until combined, about 5 1-second pulses. Add lemon juice, eggs and vanilla. Process until combined, about 5 seconds. With machine running, add melted butter through feed tube in steady stream (this should take about 20 seconds). Transfer mixture to large bowl. Sift flour mixture into egg mixture in 3 steps, whisking gently after each addition and just until combined.

Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees and continue baking until deep golden brown and skewer in center comes out clean, about 35 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking time. Cool in pan 10 minutes then turn onto wire rack and prick with a toothpick or bamboo skewer on top and on all sides. Brush on Lemon Glaze. Cool to room temperature, at least 1 hour. (Cooled cake can be wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and stored at room temperature for up to 5 days).

Lemon Glaze

½ cup sugar
    ¼ cup juice from 1 or 2 lemons

Bring sugar and lemon juice to a boil in small nonreactive saucepan stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened slightly about 2 minutes. Brush cake on top and all sides with glaze.

2. June-

June- New Member

Sounds delish!

3. lulu48

lulu48 New Member

June you can use a blender too instead of a food processor to mix the ingredients together for the cake. And when I make the glaze, I use a little extra lemon juice because I like it really lemony and tangy.

4. June-

June- New Member

Gees if it werent for these extra pounds on deck I'd be making this tonight. I have all the ingredients. Get thee behind me Satan! :D

5. Sholly

Sholly New Member

Is this low sodium?? Hope so because I love lemon poundcake!!!!

6. June-

June- New Member

If my arithmetic is correct, the sodium in this recipe adds up to about 2800 mg (most of it from the salt and baking soda). So whether it is low sodium depends on how many pieces you get out of the cake. Very few things with salt and baking powder are really 'low sodium' but I think it can be fit into a low sodium diet by adjusting the amount and what else you are eating that day. Portion size is the key I guess.

7. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

I am going to try and make this - this week. :)

8. lulu48

lulu48 New Member

You’ll like it Aladdin. It’s very good and not overly sweet but very lemony. I like to decorate it with some candied lemon zest too. Here’s the recipe I use:

What you’ll need:

2 lemons
    1/3 cup water
    1/3 cup sugar
    And extra sugar to coat the zest strips

Directions:

Wash lemons thoroughly. Trim zest from lemons using a vegetable peeler. Cut wide strips being careful not to cut into the white pith layer below. Cut zest strips lengthwise to create thin julienne strips.

Place julienne strips in a small sauce pan and cover with cold water. Cook over medium heat until the water comes to a simmer. Continue to simmer for 6 minutes.

Remove from heat, drain strips and return them to the saucepan. Add water and sugar to the strips. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Continue to cook over low heat until the strips turn translucent. The water and sugar should be starting to thicken. Cooking time will be about 10 to 15 minutes.

When done cooking, remove the strips from the pan and spread out on a sheet of waxed paper. Separate the strips so they are not in clumps.

Once they have cooled slightly, roll the strips in sugar until they are well coated.

9. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

lulu - can I use this for our MRI cookbook?

10. lulu48

lulu48 New Member

Absolutely Aladdin.....that's perfectly fine with me hon. :-*